Which Australian city first installed automatic traffic lights?
The first set of automatic traffic lights were installed on 13 October 1933, on the corners of Kent and Markets Streets in Sydney, NSW.
Melbourne trialled a manual version in 1928, where police on the footpath below controlled the signal changeover. Sydney's trial, described as an "electro-matic vehicle actuated controller", proved a great success (the name perhaps less so).
Read an original article on the great traffic light experiment below: