Newspapers and Gazettes category
Explore millions of digitised pages from more than 1,000 Australian newspapers and government gazettes.
Note: This category only includes digitised newspapers and gazettes. To find physical copies, go to the Books and Libraries category.
Check out Related Pages for more information.
Newspapers have been described in the following way to help you with your searches:
- Article (includes news, feature articles, serials, advice columns, cartoons, etc.)
- Advertising (includes classifieds and advertisement spreads)
- Family Notices (includes births, deaths and marriages)
- Detailed lists, results, and guides (includes casualty lists, sport and racing results, television guides, etc.)
In addition, illustrated articles are categorised as:
Gazettes have been described in the following way to help you with your searches:
- Appointments and employment (Appointments to government positions including probations, transfers and retirements)
- Appointments by government and under various Acts for a range of officers, trustees, board members etc.)
- Budgetary papers (Government budget statements)
- Freedom of Information (only for years covered by Acts)
- Index and Contents (cumulative indexes and content listings for individual issues)
- Government notices (includes land and mining notices, registers of medical etc. professionals, licencing, honours, electoral notices, trade registrations, population and trade statistics, government and colonial notices, employment advertisements, general notices and notices not included in another category)
- Private notices (from Private Advertisement section include legal notices such as bankruptcies and estates, company registrations, local government matters and stock impounding notices)
- Proclamations and legislation (proclamation notices and published text of some Acts and subordinate legislation and changes to text for statutory instruments including regulations, rules, by-laws, rules of the court and ordinances)
- Tenders and contracts (includes requests for tender and notifications of approved contracts)
Non-English language newspapers and translation
Trove’s digitised newspapers include titles published in Australia in many languages other than English. Languages include:
To search for non-English language newspapers, see the Search page for information.
If you need text to be translated, many web browsers have built-in translation options. Trove does not currently have this function.
Availability and Copyright of Newspapers
The National Library of Australia focuses on digitising newspapers published before 1955 on the general understanding that they are out of copyright. Newspapers published after 1954 remain in copyright and require permission from the publishers to digitise and deliver online. Some newspaper titles published after 1955 have been made available due to individual agreements with the publisher.
Gaps in the newspapers run
Gaps in the newspaper run can appear for a variety of reasons, including:
- Newspaper was not published during the date range
- Issues for that newspaper are missing for the date range
- Master microfilm for the date range is missing
- Date range has not yet been digitised
If newspaper issues are missing from the master microfilm, it is unfortunately unlikely that they will be added to the service, because it is not currently feasible to replace or insert them. If the master microfilm for the date range is missing, these issues may be added later if the microfilm is found during future processing.
If the date range has not yet been digitised (often indicated by multiple non-consecutive periods being available), then these newspapers should be made available over the next few months. You will need to wait for these to become available.