Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

4 corrections, most recently by swade - Show corrections


Fitzroy entered the lists against Carlton with- out Potter, Cleary, and Drohan, the vacancies being   filled by M'Ewan, Doherty, and M'Dougall, a re-    

cruit from St. Mary's, who got a couple of goals   cleverly. Sharkey, Meadowcroft, Kinman, and   Breese were away from the Carlton team, D. Pender and Peter Williams making their reappearance to-   gether with Dohrman (late of Collingwood) and Moore, of whom the Carlton executive hoped great things owing to his having played with Norwood (S.A.), but before the day was out they expressed       the wish that he had stayed there. In the last quarter he had more than one chance to mark, and     on the only occasion that he got the ball he missed       an easy shot for goal, which, if successful, would have won the game for his side. All through it was a ruck game, and there was far too much rough play. Kendall, the umpire, began by being lenient     and both sides taking full advantage of his slack-  

ness, before the game was over were quite out of hand. Fitzroy began with the wind, and put on   four goals and two behinds to one behind. Carlton had their turn in the second quarter, and but for the weakness of their forwards they would have held the lead at the interval. With the wind in the third quarter, Fitzroy went in hard, but their   efforts were met with strong resistance by the   Carlton backs and followers, who time and again   drove off the attacking party. Their forwards again       failed them, however, for the ball was always at     once returned. Fitzroy only managed to score 1   goal 4 behinds in this quarter, and at the final change led by 14 points. The large crowd were by this time worked up to a pitch of excitement which   culminated as Carlton pressed the Maroons hotly,  

and O'Dea, from a long, running shot, landed the     ball fair in front of goal, over the heads of the Fitzroy backs, who had gone out to meet it.

Though the ball bounced between the posts, and a goal was given, it appeared to everyone that one of         the Fitzroy men had touched it. With this reverse Fitzroy made the game very fast, but Carlton re-   sponded, and with the extra pace the roughness in- creased. Both sides were going all they knew,   and, though Carlton pressed down on the Fitzroy goals, the weakness of their forwards told again,   and though they added 4 behinds, no goal was scored. The Fitzroy backs played grandly at this     critical stage of the game. Reid's marking being     magnificent, and his kicking, if possible, better than his marking. About ten minutes before the bell rang Hickey and Morrison came into violent     collision, and both men had to leave the ground.   Morrison returned after having his wounded head   attended to, but Hickey had sustained a bad cut   over the eye. He was attended to by Dr. Owen, who had to put four stitches in to close up the       wound. Fitzroy were fortunate in getting out of   their difficulty as they did, and they received a

sound rating from then supporters for the poor  

game they had played. Carlton nearly snatched a     victory, which, but for their weakness forwards,   would have been assured.  

The fullest measure of praise must be awarded            

to the Carlton ruck, who beat their opponents all     day. O'Dea, J. Pender, and Morrison all worked   like demons, and Dohrman gave them a lot of help.      

Walsh, as rover, was always busy. Williams, Wal-    

ton, and D. Pender, on the half-back line, were

very sure, and Sweetman also did good work. No   one pleased me better than Ward, who did grand work wherever he was placed; and Curtis, on the   wing was conspicuous in many a Carlton rally.

His marking was very fine. Casey, on the other wing, also did well, but he missed a couple of   easy marks which cost his side a lot of ground. Coucher was the only man in front of the centre to do anything, though O'Cock's goal was well se-    

cured. To the ruck and defence almost the whole praise must be given.

Sloane, Hickey, J. Dalton, and Reid were a quartet of defenders hardly beaten all day, Sloane's         dashing play, Hickey's stolid defence, Dalton's   useful rushes, and Reid's grand marking and kick-     ing doing great service. C. Jenkins and Robins,       about the centre; Kiernan, the cleverest of for- wards; W. Dalton and E. Jenkins, forward, must     all be praised; but there was a lack of that clean play which has marked the Fitzroy play hitherto,    

and on both sides far too much attention was paid   to the man. Fitzroy should profit by this lesson, as   the game was nearly thrown away on Saturday.