Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

2 corrections, most recently by cmt17 - Show corrections

OBITUARY. The funeral of the late Mr. Patrick R.   Malone took place Thursday to the Marong Cemetery, leaving his residence, Leichardt, at 2.30 p.m. It was attended by a large number of relatives and friends. The de- ceased gentleman was a colonist for 60 years and left a widow, three sons and three daughters. He was a native of Clare, Ire- land. The coffin-bearers were Messrs. D. Garland, J. Garland, W. Kairns, and M. Slattery. The Rev. Father O'Carroll read the burial service. The funeral arrange- ments were in the hands of Messrs. Fizelle and Mulqueen, of Bendigo. Mr. John McWhirter died in Sydney on the 2nd inst. after a long illness. Mr. McWhirter, who was an elder brother of Mr. T. H. McWhirter, accountant at the Beehive, and of Mrs. J. Elliott, wife of the manager of the Footscray branch of the Commercial Bank, was born in Scot- land in 1851. He came to Australia with   his parents when he was two years of age. He was brought up in Bendigo, and on leaving school became connected with the staff of "The Bendigo Advertiser." In after years he was a reporter on the "Age," and in 1880 reported the sensational defeat of the Kelly gang at Glenrowan. In his time he was also connected with the press of New South Wales and New Zealand, and it is recorded that on the occasion of severe floods in Queensland he swam a flooded river in order to get his report through to the Sydney paper on which he was a reporter. Mr. McWhirter was an ex- perienced and capable journalist. He was also a very fine cricketer, and in his younger days in Bendigo was a good all- round performer with the B.U.C.C. He headed the batting averages in 1874-5 with 22.7, and during his connection with the club played 96 completed innings for 1352 runs, giving an average of 14 per innings. He was also a good performer with the press, and with the late Mr. John Glen took part in Parliament and Press matches. Mr. McWhirter had a stroke about 12 months ago, and his death was not unex- pected. The friends of the late Mrs. Mary L. Bennetts, widow of the late Mr. Thomas Bennetts, will regret to learn of her death, which occurred at the residence of her son-in-law, St. Just Point, on Thursday, at the advanced age of 72 years. The deceased lady was of a very kind and genial disposition, and was highly re- spected and esteemed. The funeral of the late Mrs. Catherine Vivian, wife of Mr. William Vivian, took place on Friday from her residence "Te Aroha," King-street, to the White Hills Cemetery. It was largely attended. The deceased lady was a native of Bendigo, be- ing a daughter of the late Mrs. O'Brien, of Garsed-street, who died about three months ago. Mr. W. Vivian is well-known as an employe at Myer's for several years. Many choice floral tributes were received, includ- ing one from the employes in Myer's "Caves" and one from several other em- ployes, The pall-bearers were Messrs. J. Kershaw, W. Burns, C. Blake, F. Bishop, W. McCulloch (of Myer's), J. Hart, C. Burke and M. Egan. The coffin-bearers were Messrs. T. Kearns, W. Kearns, W. Cairns, and J. Egan. The Rev. Father McMahon read the burial service. Messrs. Fizelle and Mulqueen were the undertakers. The news of the death of Mr. Joseph Major Pratt, which occurred on Friday   evening at East Melbourne, at the age of 82 years, will be received with widespread feelings of regret, especially among old colonists. Mr. Pratt, who was born near Charing Cross, London, in December, 1834, arrived in Port Phillip in December, 1852. For some years after his arrival in Vic- toria Mr. Pratt lived in the Inglewood dis- trict and during his residence there he gained valuable experience as miner, store- keeper, auctioneer, and accountant. Taking an interest in municipal affairs, he was a member of the Inglewood Borough Council, and also filled the Mayoral chair. In 1868, Mr. Pratt went to Melbourne, and joined the late Mr. James Campbell, M.L.C., in the firm of McCulloch, Campbell and Co., which then became Campbell, Pratt and Co., proprietors of Kirk's Bazaar, the well- known horse market. Mr. William McCul- loch soon afterwards joined Messrs. Clapp and Hoyt on the directorate of the Mel- bourne Omnibus Company, which was in- augurated early in 1869. The business of buying horses for the omnibuses was im- portant, and Campbell, Pratt and Co. were the agents for the company. Mr. Pratt was the first auditor of the Omnibus Company, and he held that position until, on the re- tirement of Mr. A. W. Robertson from the directorate, he joined the board. Owing to failing health Mr. Pratt retired from his position as director about five years ago. In Melbourne, as in the country, Mr. Pratt took an interest in municipal affairs, and in 1888 he was elected a Melbourne City Councillor for the Albert Ward. He was appointed alderman for the ward in 1901, and retired from the council in November, 1913. In 1889 Mr. Pratt was elected to the Legislative Council as member for the North-western Province, and he held the seat until 1907. At the elections in that year he did not seek re-election. Mr. Pratt occupied an honorary position in the Minis- try of which Sir George Turner was Pre-- mier. Mr. Pratt leaves a widow, one son (Mr. J. Cleveland Pratt) and two daughters

(Mrs. L. M. Inglis and Mrs. L. Leonard Higgs).   On Saturday afternoon there passed away at Tariff-street, Eaglehawk, a native of Wyndham Row, England, at the age of 75 years, a very old and highly respected resi- dent in the person of Mrs. Betsy Metcalf, widow of the late Mr. Robert Metcalf, mining manager, who pre-deceased her by 36 years. The deceased lady had resided in the borough for 52 years and was the mother of ten children, seven of whom are living (three sons and four daughters). She was a loving and devoted mother. One son and two daughters reside in Western Australia and two sons and two daughters in Eaglehawk. The interment took place in the Methodist section of the Eaglehawk Cemetery on Sunday, in the presence of a large number of sorrowing friends. The Rev. F. Flentje conducted a short service at the home, and he also officiated at the grave. The coffin was covered with choice flowers and artificial wreaths sent by sympathising friends. The pall-bearers were Messrs. J. Arkle, W. Warren, B. Miller, and P. Dunstan. Mr. A. Joy was the funeral director. The death of Mrs. Mary Griffen, a resi- dent of Myers Flat and Bendigo for about 55 years, will be learned of with regret by her wide circle of friends. The sad event occurred at the residence of her son-in-law, Mr. J. McCarthy, Hibernia Hotel, Bridge- street, Bendigo, on Saturday morning. The deceased lady enjoyed fairly good health until Tuesday last, when she had to take to her bed. She was of a very kind and loving desposition and was highly re- spected and esteemed. The funeral took place on Sunday, leaving the Hibernia Hotel at 3 p.m. for the Eaglehawk Cemetery. It was largely attended. Mrs. Griffen was a native of County Clare, Ireland. She left two sons (Mr. John and Michael Griffen, of Eaglehawk), and four daughters (Mrs. Chenny and Mrs. O'Connor, of Melbourne, and Mrs. Considine and Mrs. McCarthy, of Bendigo). The coffin-bearers were Messrs. F. Salmon, J. Salmon, T. Naughton, and J. Naughton. Many choice floral tributes were placed on the grave. The Rev. Father McMahon conducted the burial service. Messrs. Fizelle and Mul- queen were the undertakers. One of the oldest identities of the Mitiamo district, Mr. John Morrison, died on Sunday, at the advanced age of 86 years. The deceased gentleman was born at Burnessan, Ardtun, Isle of Mull, Scot- land. He arrived in Victoria with his wife in the early fifties, and resided in the Mitiamo district until some eight years ago, when he retired to live in Bendigo. His wife pre-deceased him by 15 years. He leaves a family of three daughters and one son. The friends of Mr. J. H. King, station- keeper of the Eaglehawk Fire Brigade, and a well-known athlete, will regret to learn of the death of his wife (Mrs. Delia King), which occurred Tuesday after- noon in the Bendigo Hospital, of which she had been an inmate for about a month. The deceased lady had not en- joyed good health for about 18 months. About 12 months ago her only daughter died, and the shock was so great that her condition gradually became worse. She was 46 years of age, and was a daugh- ter of the late Mr. John Connelly, of Myers' Flat. She was a native of Myers' Flat, and was well known and highly re- spected. A family of four sons survives. The funeral of the late Mr. Peter N. Rowe took place Tuesday, from the resi- dence in Chum-street. The remains were interred in the Methodist section of the Bendigo Cemetery. A large number of   sympathising friends attended. Floral tributes were received from the employes of the Little 180 mine, Mr. and Mrs. W. Holman and family, Miss Williams, and Mr. and Mrs. S. Davey. The coffin was carried to the grave by Messrs. J. Edwards, R. D. Ellis, J. Caldwell and T. Turner. The Rev. J. H. Ham held an impressive service at the home, and he also officiated at the grave, where the hymn, "Rock of   Ages," was sung. The L.O.L. (No. 30)   service was read by P.D. Chaplain W. Ake- hurst. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. T. Sayer, of Bridge- street. The remains of the late Mrs. Mary Ann Dyson were Tuesday morning interred in the Church of England portion of the Ben- digo Cemetery. The funeral left her late residence, Wattle-street, and was largely attended. Wreaths and floral tokens were sent by Messrs. Gus Terry and John Raes, the employes of Messrs. J. H. Abbott and Co., Mr. H. M. Leggo, Mr. and Mrs. R. Quin, and Miss Orme. The Rev. Mr. Plumtree officiated at the grave. Mr. T. Sayer was the funeral director.