4 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections
THE LATE MR WILLIAM CARTER.
A telegram was received in town yesterday, stating the above-named gentleman died at his late residence Villetta, Toorak, Victoria, on Monday, at the age of 82. As the deceased was a former resident here, and at that time a prominent member
of our community, it may not be undesirable to give a few particulars respecting him. Mr. Carter came to this colony in 1835 by the Wave, a mer- chant vessel at that time trading between London and Van Diemen's Land. He engaged for many years in trading pursuits, and appeared to have a tact for choosing the most eligible business localities. His first establishment was at the angle of Elizabeth and Col- lins-streets, where he kept a store for the sale of hard- ware, groceries, etc. Subsequently he purchased or
carried on business at the premises known as Wellington House, then at the premises now occu- pied by Mr. Miller, the chemist, and afterwards
on the block of buildings at the corner of Murray and Collins-streets, at which latter he was head of the firm of William Carter and Co., wholesale wine and spirit merchants. Deceased had the reputation of being a shrewd and successful man of business, and he amassed a competence, bringing up a large large family, some of whom are dead, and one, Mr. Robert Carter, is the present Warden of the Rural Municipality of Fingal.
Mr. Carter long took an active part in public affairs in Hobart Town, and when a body was organised to manage the town, and assist the Government of
the day in effecting improvements to the roads and thoroughfares, Mr. Carter was associated with Messrs. W. Murray, of Elizabeth-street, Jno. Walker, Jos. Moir, and some others, all or most of whom have since passed away. As a Commissioner, he brought to bear his business qualifications in various under- takings for the welfare of the town. When Hobart Town became a municipality he was elected as an alderman, we believe, at the head of the poll, and his brother aldermen did him the honor of choosing him as the first Mayor of the city, with a salary of £600 a year. That was in January, 1853, and in his " right worshipful " capacity Mr. Carter was presented to Sir William Denison at Govern- ment House for His Excellency's approval. During the term of his Mayoralty, two years, Mr. Carter sustained the dignity and importance of his posi- tion in a becoming manner, and in doing so it is well known that he expended more than the salary in subscriptions to the various local institutions, relieving necessitous persons and maintaining a liberal hospitality. It will be re- membered by some that the first Mayor gave a banquet on a large scale, which was spread in the New Market place, and at which some notable after dinner speeches were delivered. There
was a change in the Mayoralty in 1855, when the late Mr. W. G. Elliston was chosen as the second mayor of the town, at the same salary as that received by his predecessor, £600 a year, and such had been the liberal expenditure under the first Mayoralty that Mr. Elliston spoke of the allowance of £600 as too small wherewith to dispense the expected civic hospitalities, and con- vincing the various calls that were made on the person filling the seat of Chief Magistrate of the city. Mr. Carter subsequently represented the electoral district of Hobart in the Legislative Council, having been elected on October 18, 1859, the other two representatives of the district in that House being Mr. (now Sir) James Milne Wilson, and the late Mr. Justice Horne. At the end of the allotted period of six years Mr. Carter retired from the representation of Hobart, and was suc- ceeded by Mr. Alfred Kennerley. Mr. Carter was a man who was generally liked ; he was a liberal contributor to the educational and philan- thropic institutions of the place, and was especially distinguished for his aversion to slander and back- biting; he was frequently known, when people began to speak against others to walk away, so as not to bo led into saying a word in the way of reproach of absent persons. He was not a bigot, and when asked to subscribe to objects connected with schools or churches, other than those of his own denomination, he never said no. Amongst other instances of his liberality of sentiment, we may men- tion that Mr. Carter about fourteen years ago per- formed the ceremony of laying the foundation stone of Union Chapel, built for the congregation of the Rev. J. W. Simmons, as indicated by an inscription to be read by any one passing the build- ing in Bathurst-street. In the early part of 1866,
Mr. Carter relinquished business in Hobart - Town, and sold the estate that he had purchased many years before from Capt. Swanston, New Town Park, having then recently suffered bereavement by the death of his daughter, the wife of an esteemed merchant of Hobart Town. Having sold off, he with Mrs. Carter, and some members of the family, stayed in town at Webb's hotel until they left for Victoria, where they went to reside at Villetta, Toorak. By the obituary notice it appears that deceased must have been born in 1796, as he is stated to have been 82 years old, although we should not have taken him to be so old. We rather think Mrs. Carter died some five or six months ago, but are not quite positive of that.