No corrections yet
THE EARLIEST GOVERNMENT HOUSE. The first vice-regal building in Mel bourne, which still stands at Jolimnont, is at last to be razed to the ground. It was brought from, England in parts by Gover nor Q. J. La Tro~be, and was erected and occupied in 1839 on the spot where it still stands. The land is owned by -Messrs Bedggood and Company, and is required for the extension of their premises. The Early Pioneers' Association feels that a numaber. of citizens would like to inspect the house before it is demolished, and Mr. W. Smithers Gadd, the energetic secre tary of the association, is organising a day of visitation. He has appealed to Messrs.
Bedggood anil Company to stay their hands fori a fewvda~ys, and Mr. Daniel Bodgood has considerately consented. The Lord Mayor has been consulted, and, with the Lady Mayore~s, le will take an active part in the function. Sir Arthur Stanley, the atate Governor, and Lady Stanley are be ing invited, together with other well, known citizens, as wvel1 as the members of the Early Pioneers' Association.