Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

8 corrections, most recently by ellarocks - Show corrections



(From our own Correspondent.)


When the remains of this ill-fated gentleman were placed in the coffin, it was carried by the seamen of the Victoria to the stockade, where it remained until to-day. Early this morning it was enclosed in an outer coffin, covered with black, and mounted with solid brass fixings. On the breastplate the following inscription was engraved: —"John Price, Esq., J. P., March 27th, 1857 Aged forty-eight (48)." At twelve o'clock the coffin was removed from the stockade by the sea- men of the Victoria, followed by the captain, officers, and men, and by a large number of the townspeople and police, to the Williamstown pier. It was then placed in one of the Victoria's boats, and towed to Sandridge, where it was placed in the hearse, and arrived at Prince's Bridge at two o'clock. The order of procession was as follows:   —Undertaker. Three mounted troopers. Car- riage conveying the medical attendants. Hearse. Mourning coach, containing the three eldest sons of the deceased. Body of warders in uniform, fifty strong. Numerous friends of deceased, on   foot. Ministers of religion, including the Dean of Melbourne and others. Mounted yeoman in a

long train of carriages, containing the Cabinet Mi- nisters, members of the legislative Council and Assembly, representatives of firms in Melbourne and numerous mourners, the procession closed with the carriage of his Excellency the Governor

containing the Private Secretary and Military Se- cretary of Major General Macarthur.

On arriving at the Cemetery, they were met by the officiating priest, Mr. Brandon, who preceded the coffin borne on the shoulders of eight warders. The pall was borne by O'Shanassy, Foster, Secretary Moore, Sheriff Farie, Powlett and Dun- can. Every person was uncovered, and the im- pressive service was listened to with the deepest attention, notwithstanding the severe inclemency of the weather, the rain falling in torrents throughout the whole of the ceremony. Mr. Sleight, of Melbourne, was the undertaker.

Intelligence reached Melbourne that another outbreak among the convicts was to be feared, if it had not actually occurred. I have gleaned the following particulars. The warders appointed to   convey the Corpse from the Stockade to Wiliiams- town Pier could not leave, and a portion of the seamen of the Victoria were obliged to perform the task. On the arrival of the hearse at Prince's Bridge, the same were ordered to return by the steamer, and from the representations made to Mr. O'Shanassy an order was written in the office of the Coroner for the dispatch of militatry to   Williamstown, and a large body of military and police were dispatched immediately. Another version, and one evidently to be relied upon, is that the Governor, in answer to the communica- tion respecting the emente, suggested that the Victoria be anchored within range of the hulks, to fire on them if necessary. Williamstown is in   a state of great excitement anticipating an out- break. Four hundred rounds of ball cartridge were served out to the volunteers and police under arms, and the Victoria has been anchored within range of the President and Success, with orders from Mr. O'Shanassy to sink them if their escape appeared inevitable.


The inquest has resumed today, and six wit-

nesses were examined, who identified a dozen of the prisoners as actors in the murder. Maloney is

identified as the man who struck Mr. Price down with a stone, and Williams who cut him with a spade. Two prisoners of the name of Henry Smith are implicated. The inquiry was adjourned until Wednesday to admit bringing some of the prisoners forward as evidence.