Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

2 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections



The career of a much-loved and widely respected clergyman was closed by tie death of Canon Andrews, which occurred on February 2 at his residence, near Craters. After 60 years of ser vice in the Anglican Church, 40 years of

which he spent as rector of St. Bartho- lomew's, Norwood, he retired from active pastoral Work towards the' close of 1814. The Rev. William Buckton Andrews was born on November 26, 1829, at Epping; near London, in the reign of George IV. The story of his early days is best re counted in his own trords. 'My father   was a solicitor, and we were 11 in family, of whom the late Mr. Justice Andrews, of this State, was the eldest. My mother had, I believe, more anxiety in rearing me than she had with the rest.' And   further, 'I was taught with a few other boys by a master, who thought that an accurate acquaintance with the Latin and Greek classics was a thing so essential that it must be enforced .upon the tardy learner by a. remorseless use of the thick cane. Being so young and weak, I was preserved by stipulation from the application of this

dreadful weapon, although I had to ac- quire the elements of Latin under the con- stant apprehension of it.' To the hale octogenarian it was strange to recall his early life and the pessimistic declaration of a school matron that he would never live to be a man. Canon Andrews lived his long life in the warm affection of his fellows, for his was a splendid career, de- voted and profitable to the church he   served. Mr. Andrews interested himself   in the law for a few years, but began his preparations for a life as a clergyman be fore he was 20. His eldest brother came to Adelaide in the early fifties. The canon found that the Church of England offered little opportunity for a career at that time, and he determined to follow the late Mr. Justice Andrews to the southern con- tinent. 'With a younger brother, he set sail in the ship Norna, on July 28, 1854 The voyage to Port Adelaide occupied 83 days. To the capital he travelled in one of the carts in vogue at the period, and he resided with his brother for a time. He began his services to the church as a catechist at Balhannah, taking out his license under Dean Farrell. Bishop Short was then absent in England. In July, 1855, he was ordained a deacon, and in the following year was made a priest. He then went to the South-East as pio- neer of the Narracoorte, Penola, Guichen Bay, and Mount Gambier districts. ' Of conditions in the South-East at that time he once observed tbat 'several well established stockholders were making their fortunes, and living comfortably, though in very small houses.' Canon Andrews was only in the district for 15 months, having to relinquish his work there on account of ill-health. St. James' Church, Blakiston, near Mount Barker, was the next scene in his clerical life. There was then no church at Mount Barker or Nairne, the building at Blakis- ton having to supply the needs of the two places. Talking to an interviewer a few years ago, on the subject of the Church and the State in the early days, Canon Andrews remarked: — 'State aid did begin here to the extent that certain lands were given to the Church. Glebes they were called, and I remember very

well that the Congregationalists, on principle, would not accept anything from the Government. I fancy when I came here the Government assisted with funds also, but this ceased shortly after- wards, and subsequently there were no glebes or anything else. The assistance was not vitally necessary, .and the Church ever since has relied upon its own re sources.''         -Subsequent to his work in the Hills. Canon- Andrews took charge of St. Michael's, at Mitcham, and, after spend- ing 5½ years there, returned to Mount Gambier. He was five years in the South-Eaet, and then transferred to the city. He was inducted at St. Bartholo- mew's in 1874. In 1881 he was made honorary Canon, and became canon in   1890. He served the diocese in this   capacity until his retirement in 1914. He acted as rural dean of Kensington   from 1889 to 1892, and again from 1895 to 1902.. In the latter year he took the office of rural dean of the suburbs, a post he gave up in 1907. At the time of his retirement he was the oldest canon of the chapter. His early work in the Church imbued him with a great love for the hills, and when he closed the book of his active clerical life, he sought a pleasant home near Crafers. Here amid the picturesque scenes that delighted him he spent his last days in peace and loving kindness.     Canon Andrews married Miss Barbara Short, of Comaum station, during his first sojourn in the South-East. ' His wife died about six years ago. He leaves three daugh- ters— Miss E. M. Andrews, who has re- sided at Crafers since her father's retire- ment; Mrs. Nutting, wife of the -Rev Arthur Nutting, of Port Augusta; and Mrs. Louis Giles, of Medindie— and two sons. The eldest son, Mr. W. W. Andrews, is the assistant engineer for railway construc- tion. Mr. R. B. Andrews is a legal prac- titionur of Southern Cross, Western Aus tralia. A third son, Commander - J. D. Andrews, R.N.R., was well known as com inander of the P. & O. liner Morea. He died at sea a few years ago. Mr. G. H. Michell, one of the oldest identities of the wool trade, died on Feb ruary 2 at his residence, 'Stoneleigh,' Hindmarsh. Mr.- Michell came to South Australia from Hayle, Cornwall, with his   wife by the sailing vessel Trevelyan, and he reached Adelaide on Marc'h 21, 1866. After a short residence in and arounj. Adelaide he settled at Mundalya, where be made a start in the wool business by buying small lots from the farmers around the district, and scouring on the River Wakefield. It ie interesting to notice how from small beginnings big tihings are raised. Probably little did Mr. Michell think when he began his operations then   that he was laying' the foundation of the largest wool-scouring establishment in South Australia, and which compare favorably with the largest in Australia. After some years of experience in the country it became evident that if the busi- ness was to grow, he must get nearer the city, and in 1889 he opened his works

in Hindmarah, where the business has been carried on ever since. In his prime there was no man better known in the trade than Mr. Michell. Although of a quiet, unassuming disposition, he was held in high esteem by every section of the trade. Naturally in his business career he had many ups and downs, but in the darkest hours his integrity was never questioned, for although a man af few words, what he said was always reliable. South Australian woolgrowers owe more to Mr. Michell and his firm than is generally known, for in the old days, when- ever a slump in 'the market occurred, and most other buyers were afraid to operate, the name of Michell was heard by the auc- tioneer eo often as to give the impres-   sion that he was buying the wholecata-   logue, and in those days it was no un- common thing for him to be the largest individual buyer. ' He left a widow and four children. The three eons, Messrs. G. H. Michell, E. Michell, and J. A. Michell, now carry on the business which for many   years has been known as G. H. Michell and Sons. There is one daughter, 'Mrs. J E. Isaacson, of Undalya. Mr. Michell took no active interest in public matters. Apart from his business and his associa- tions with the Hindmarsh Congregational Church, he took no prominent part in affairs. Mr. Edward Mansfield, who died on January 28, 'liad resided at Port Pirie for about four years. He was a native of Montreal, Canada,   and had during his lifetime filled several important positions, amongst them that of manager in Boston of the well known Furness line of steamers. He came to Australia with high commercial and social credentials. The death of Mr. James Gurry, which occurred at his residence, Glenburnie, on January 26, removed one of the oldest   farmers in, the 'Mount Gambier district. The deceased, who was in his 88th year, came of farming stock. He was born at Summer Hill, County Meath, Ireland, and worked as a farm laborer there until he emigrated to Australia in 1859. His father and brothers had preceded him to South Australia, and on arrival here he joined them, on their holding at Kapunda; Mr. James Gurry was married at Kapunda to Miss Bridget Brown. In 1869 he went to Mount Gambier. His wife died in 1916, and his two sons, Messrs. R. J. and G. T; Gurry, of Glenburnie, are the sole   survivors of the family. Mr. Patrick Henery, who recently died at Alpana, Blinman, in his -84th year, was a colonist of more than 71. years. He was born in 1831 in county Clare,

Ireland, and arrived in Sydney in 1848. Shortly afterwards he came to-Soufh Aus tralia, - and entered the employ of , the late Captain W- W. Hughes, at Water vale. Subsequently he ' was engaged by the late Hon. G. -C. Hawker and the late Mr.' Henry Scott. He established the well-known Alpana homestead. In' 1854 Mr. Henery married Miss Downer, . who predeceased him about 13 years ago. He left one son and five daughters, 30 grand children, and 34 great-grandchildren. Mr. William Harold Farquhar, of Tor rens-road, Alberton, (Port Adelaide, who died oh February 1, ? was a most valued citizen, although he took' no prominent public position. He was a son of the late Captain Allan Farquhar, of the B.B. line, w%ich traded to Mauritius. He sras educated at Mr. S. McPher son'« academy at Semaphore and Mr. Allen Martin's Grammar School at Port Ade laide. . He joined the ' South Australian Company in 1886 and continued with them for 90 years, rising to the position of Port Adelaide manager and wharfinger. He be came wharfinger under the Harbors Board early last year, when the board took over the Port Adelaide wharfs. He leaves two daughters and one son.' -His wife died eight ' years ago. Mr. E.' A. Farquhar, one of : th« Commissioners of the Harbor Board, | is a brother. The late Mr. Farquhar was a member of the Semaphore Tennis Club and the Royal South Australian Yaoht Squadron. Mr. George Reid, who died last week, was one of the oldest residents of the Balaklava district. - He was born iu Trunent, Scotland, and arrived in South Australia in 1S50, in the James Jardins, when he was 14 years of age. His fiwt work nras on the farm of the late ST. John Kirkland at Port Gawler. In 1869. lie went to StrafchaFoyn, where he married Miss Elizabeth Ellen Vivian. In 1874 he settled as a farmer in the Dalkey distr'ec. I He was a vice-president and a member oi I the council of the Balaklava Agricultural I Society from its incorporation, and was* a Hteward for manyyears. He true an active member of the Farmers' and Produce's' Political Union and of the Liberal Union? The quoit and draught clubs had his con stant support. Se took great interest in~ local government matters, and was one of the most popular men in the district.-- He , leaves a widoa- and a grown-up family. Mrs. Lydia Cross, an old colonist, died on January 29 in her Sith year at the resi- ? dence of her daughter, Mrs. W. D. Biggs. ; Hyde Park. With her parents Mr. and j Mrs. Jacob, Bowden, she landed in Ade- j laide in 1838, having travelled by the ship I Koyal Admiral. At the age of 19 she ! married the late Mr. ' Henry' Cross, and , they were among the pioneers' in'the Mount Bark'er district. About 1891 Mr. Cross sold his farm and went to Callington, Twelve j months later Mr. Cross died, and Mrs. I Cross decided to live with her daughter.! (Mrs. R. O. J. Dunning) in Unley. For' the last few years she his made her home | with another daughter (Mrs. W. D. i Biggs) . She left one son, Mr. W. E. Cross, ' of East Wellington, four daughters, Mes dames F, A. Teichelman, of Ultimo; G. Brook of Torrensville; W. D. Biggs, of ? Hyde Park; and O. J. Dunning, of Ramco; 24 grandchildren, and 17 greit-grandchil- I dren. | By the last English mail came newa of ' the death of Professor F. Ernst .Carroll, irho before the war represented the Com monwealth Government on the Continent of Europe. He visited South Australia about a. quarter of a century ago,- and when the University of Tasmania was founded 'he was appointed lecturer in ge.o-, logy. He left for Switzerland a good many years ago' »nd. resided in Neuchatel or Basle until Ibis death on November 19, after an illnesa of two years, from arterio

scleroSiBj^cpmplieated at the end by in flammation of the lungs. PJofeasor Carroll always hfcd a great love for Australia, and he Was « frequent contributor to Austra lian papers.- He iras-generouely, wilting to be of Assistance to Australian visitors to the Continent, and he did hit utmost to make, knows the attractions of the Com monwealth and ' Uie openings which', it offered to eligible immigrants. He lefb a widow, one son, and a daughter. The son, who joined the British army early in .the war, was wounded last -March,' and' after his recovery he became attacned to the Royal Flying Corps. On October 6 Mrs. Carroll received a telegram from the War Office, 6ayih2 that he was missing, and for four terrible weeks she had no further news. . Then she .received a card, stating that he was a prisoner at Karls ruhe, and that he was wounded. When , the mail left it had not oeen possible to inform him (A the death of tea father, ? who will be well and pleasantly remem*| bered 'by many friends in Australia. . | Miss Margaret G. Armstrong, who died at .Norfcn Adelaide on February 5, had lived in the State for 72 years. At the age of 13 years she came to South | Australia from Dumfrieshlre, Scotland, with her parents and ten brothers and sisters, all of whom she survived. For many years she resided at Woodside. Mr. William Oarey Gill, an esteemed old I resident of Port 'Germem, died recently I after a short illness. Mr.- Gill, who. was j 62 years of age, !raa born at Flaxman'aj Valley, and was the eldest son of the late Mr. J. R. Gill (a pioneer who arrived with his parents in the ship Caroline in 1839). (Mr. William Gill was an enthusiastic atvimmer and sportsman, and. took great in terest in the volunteer military move- ? unent. He Tas a first-class rider in mill? ' tary sports and reviews in Adelaide some . years ago. When tae present King and Queen- visited Australia in 1901, Mr. -Jill was chosen as one of their Majesties' lifft guards in the Melbourne procession.

According to advices from Sydney, the Agent-General- for New South Wales in London us moving in the matter of secur ing passages to that State for the wives of New South Wales soldiers who have married English girls? Sir Charles Wade says he has been informed that suca. marriages on the part of Australians have recently taken place at the. rate of. 800 a jmonth, and the Government have approved of assisted immigration passages to New South Wales being granted. The number of Australian soldiers who have entered into matrimony in Great .Britain naturally includes a proportion of South Australians, and the Secretary of the State War Council (Mr. Victor H. Ryan) informed a reporter last week that some applications for passages to this State for wives had been received. Under the repatriation scheme a system of what were termed 'indulgence passages' had been arranged. It provided, under cer tain conditions, for free transport for the wives of discharged soldiers, or for fiancees or relations . from England to ' Australia. The board of trustees of ths Australian Soldiers' Repatriation Fund, sitting in Melbourne, nad already, on the recommendation of the State War Council, approved of 16 passages being arranged. . In the majority of cases they were for the wife of an applicant, and in a few .instnees for the fiancee. 'I am not in a position to say,' Mr. Ryan added, 'when the .passages, will ba available, but I know from correspon dence that the board of trustees are in communication with the . High Commis sioner, arid the last advice was that it was hoped they would be available at an early date.'

The late Canon Andrews.

Mr. G. H. Michell.