Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

7 corrections, most recently by n4mv3t - Show corrections


Enquiry at the "Parkwynd'' Hos- pital on Wednesday elicited that   the Commissioner of Public Works (Hon. H. Jackson), the change in whose condition on Monday caused anxiety, was feeling a little better, and that his medcal attendant was quite satisfied in regard to him.

The Hon. J. H. Cooke, M.L.C., returned from Melbourne by the express on Wed- nesday morning.

The Bishop of Riverina (Right Rev. Dr. Anderson) was a passenger from Adelaide by the Melbourne express on Wednesday.

He had been on a visit to Broken Hill,  

which is in his diocese.

Colonel James Rowell, C.B., V.D., who has been on transport duty in Egypt for some time, returned to Adelaide by the Melbourne express on Wednesday morn-   ing. He was met by the new Military Ad-   ministrator (Major F. J. Darvall) and Major C. P. Butler.

Commissioner J. Hay and Colonel Mc- Millen, of the Salvation Army, were booked to leave Adelaide by the Melbourne express on Wednesday afternoon, but the   Zealandia, by which they travelled from Western Australia, did not arrive in time, and the Army officers proceeded by motor car to Aldgate and joined the express there. Commissioner Hay had been in Western Australia for about a month and conducted the annual State Congress of the  

Salvation Army. Early next month he will return to Adelaide to conduct similar   meetings.

Mr. George Jeffrey, a member of the Advisory Board of Agriculture, is about to visit America. At a meeting of the board on Wednesday he was granted four months leave of absence, and the acting chairman (Mr. C. E. Birks) expressed the hope that he would have a pleasant jour- ney and a safe return.

By the last mail Miss I. D. Hamilton received information from the Royal Drawing Society, London, that she had obtained the diploma as a member of    

that society. Miss Hamilton obtained her art education at the School of Art, also from Miss R. Macpherson, Mr. Will Ashton, and Mr. Jas. Scott, and has been teaching the new methods of draw- ing adopted by the Royal Drawing So-   ciety for the past eight years.

The following Adelaide passengers have booked to leave by the R.M.S. Khiva, sailing from the Outer Harbor to-day. For London—Miss R. Lee, Mrs. F. Mee, Miss Betty Bruce, Mr. L. H. Walker, and Mr. H. J. Butler. For Marseilles—Mr. C F. Rischbieth. For Colombo—Mr. and Mrs. E.Vincent and child.

Dr. W. H. Lang was on Wednesday night appointed handicapper to the V.R.C. at a salary of £750 per annum. He is at pre- sent occupying a similar position with the V.A.T.C., and will continue to fill this posi- tion till August.

News has been received in Adelaide from Lieutenant Collier R. Cudmore, of the Royal Field Artillery, that his brother,   Lieutenant Milo Massey Cudmore, also of the Royal Field Artillery, was killed in action in France on March 27. He was a son of the late Mr. Daniel H. Cudmore, of Avoca Station, New South Wales, and Mrs. Cudmore, of Adare, Victor Harbor. He was also a grandson of the late Mr. Peter McCracken, of Melbourne. The late Lieutenant Cudmore, who was 27 years of age, was educated at St. Peter's College and at Magdalene College, Oxford, where he took his B.A. degree. When war broke out he left a North Queensland station for England, where he obtained a commission in the Royal Field Artillery. He had been in the trenches since February 15, 1915, first with a field battery and latterly in command of a battery of trench mortars. In August last he was wounded in the left arm during the attack on Loos. For his conduct on this occasion he was mentioned in dispatches and was awarded the Mili- tary Cross.

The Rev. A. J. Clarke, of Croydon, recently underwent an operation at the North Adelaide Private Hospital. He is progressing as well as can be expected.

Evidence of General Haig's new rule in the army, and of his belief in the value of youth and energy, when combined with the best brains, is seen (says the London correspondont of the "Manchester Guar- dian") in the promotion of Colonel John Charteris to be temporary brigadier-gene- ral in place of General Macdonogh, a succession which indicates the high im-   portance of the staff position to which he has been appointed. He is, I think, our youngest general. He is not yet forty, having been born in Glasgow in January, 1877, and he has advanced from captain to brigadier-general in less than a year. He went out with the First Army Corps, and has been on General Haig's staff through- out the war. He has received the D.S.O.   and been twice mentioned in dispatches.  

Mr. Edward Calton, of Adelaide, believes that he is the oldest surviving person born in South Australia. Some time ago a gentleman born in 1841 claimed this dis- tinction. Mr. Calton, however, states that he was born on May 26, 1838, in a small house built by his father, Mr. Charles Cal- ton, in Hindley-street.  

Mr. B. Flavel was, at a meeting of the Advisory Board of Agriculture on Wednes- day appointed a life member of the Agri- cultural Bureau. Mr. Flavel, during twenty years membership, for many years at Nar- ridy, and latterly at Crystal Brook, has rendered excellent service to the organisa- tion.