MR. L. MACKINNON.-A colonist of over 50 years and an old resident of the South-East, Mr Lachlan MacKinnon, passed away quietly at his residence, the Ti-tree, near Carratum, on Saturday last. The deceased was one of the few survivors of the fast-diminishing band of South Eastern pioneers, and during the course of a life which extended well past
the Psalmist's threescore years and ten he experienced the usual vicissitudes which have to be born by the pioneers of settlement. Born on the Isle of Mull, Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1826, the deceased had attained the age of 80 years. He emigrated to Australia in the sailing vessel General Hewitt over half a century ago, but before leaving the old country he was employed as a shepherd by Mr. F. W. Clarke, of Ulva, a large land and sheep owner, and thus gained valuable experience in the care and management of sheep. He came to the colonies under engagement to the South Australian Company, and after landing at Portland Bay proceeded with his wife to the Benara Station, then the property of the Company, but which was subsequently purchased by the late Captain Ellis. After residing on the station for six years, Mr. Mac- Kinnon's wife died, leaving no children. He was then employed at Mount Schanck by the late Mr. W. J. T. Clarke. While there Mr. MacKinnon married the widow of the late Mr. John Fletcher, who had two children, Mr. John Fletcher, of Compton, and Mrs. Richard Kemp, of Allandale. By her deceased had four children — Messrs. Neil MacKinnon, J.P., of Compton, and James MacKinnon, of the Bellum, Mrs. Jamieson Steel, and Miss Flora MacKinnon— and it is interesting to note that all those mentioned gathered round his death-bed at the Ti-tree on Sunday last. The deceased's second wife
predeceased him by about 20 years, and
from then until his death Mr. Mac- Kinnon was filially attended by his daughter, Miss Flora MacKinnon. Dur- ing the past six years the deceased was prac- tically an invalid, and was confined to his room. The late Mr. MacKinnon was a fine type of the sturdy Scotsman of the early days, and his death will be regretted by many old South Eastern pioneers, and those of a later day who admired his sterling character. He was a man whose word was his bond, and he had a long record of faithful service. While on the Schanck estate has served under three masters-the late Mr. W. J. T. Clarke, the late Capt. Gardiner, and Mr. R. M. Gardiner. When the Crown lands, which at one time formed portion of the estate, were surveyed by the Government, about 20 years ago, the de- ceased purchased a piece of land and built himself a home at what is known as the Ti- tree. Here he resided until his death. Mr. MacKinnon was the last of the pioneers of the old Carratum district, and although he lived in a rather remote part of the country he was visited regularly by a number of old friends. The funeral took place at Port MacDonnell on Monday, the Rev. R. A. Caldwell officiating
at the grave side.
SIR SAMUEL DAVENPORT, K.C.M.G., LL.D,, died on Monday at his residence, Beaumont, near Adelaide. The deceased was in his 89th year, having been born at Shirburn, Oxford- shire, England, in March, 1818. He was the son of the late Mr. Geo. Davenport, a banker in Oxford, and arrived in South Australia in 1842, making him a colonist of 64 years. He took a prominent part in politics. As early as 1846 he was one of the four nominee members of the Legislative Council of the colony. He was a non-official member in 1856, when the Constitution Act was passed, and he resigned. He was elected under responsible Government, and was a member of the elective Legislative Council from 1857 to 1866. He was
twice Commissioner of Public Works. He was appointed Executive Commissioner for the colony at the International Exhibitions of London in 1851, of Philadelphia in 1876, Syd- ney in 1879, Melbourne in 1880, the Colonial and Indian Exhibition in London in 1886, and the Adelaide Exhibition in 1887. According to Mr Johns's "Notable Australians," to which we are indebted for some of these facts, Sir Samuel was knighted in 1884, and was made a K.C.M.G. in 1886 for his services at exhibitions, and was made an LL.D., of Cambridge. He was for many years engaged in pastoral pursuits, and latterly was much interested in viticulture and olive-growing. He was a member of many public institutions in the city. His wife, a daughter of the late W. L. Cleland, of Calcutta, died in 1902, leaving no issue.
MRS CARMICHAEL, the relict of the late Mr. T. Carmichael, of the Argyle Estate, in the Casterton district, died on Saturday, aged 72 years. The deceased was one of the earliest pioneers of the district, was very widely esteemed, and left a family of seven sons and seven daughters, all living. Her husband died about 25 years ago.