Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

1 correction by doug.butler - Show corrections

LOCAL RNEWS. Slight showers fell yesterday in Mildura and may be taken as an indication of light rains in the Mal lee and Western Districts. The Western Division of New South Wales received from half-an-inch to three-quarters on Saturday and Sunday. The showers should prove helpful, though more rain is still heededo A recent traveller through the Western District de clares that conditions about Yat pool and Carwarp are better than they are around Stawell and in the Wimmera generally. Lieut. Harold Robinson returned to Mildura on Sunday morning, looking well and hearty. As will be remembered, he was in Cadet work before he left Australia. so that his military- service extends i:ac beyond 1914. The m'rtal remains of :Ir iH. W. Pelletier were buried on Sat::> d-.y ;st in the 4erbein Cemetery. Th e nre asseemblage of :Irrb!n: ites. ":!th others frotm 3iildr.. : -cwd " w pr.opular he had become du:'ing his t ltort residence here. :e leaves a widow and son-the latter of homrn is employed in the Bank of Victoria, Swan Hill. A ruster of all stool: on the Mil dura Common will be made on Fri day. All horses not removed then will be impounded. The statutory meeting of share iol:ders of the M.ildura Grand Hctel Ltd. was held at Risbey's Chambers on Thursday, the 21st inst. to receive the report of the Provisional Directors. Mr W. P Crockett was appointed chairman and explained fully the work that was being carried out to complete the Hotel in accordance with the ,instructions of the Licensing Board. The directors elected for the 'ensuing year were Mr W. P. Crockett. Mr J E. Fraser, Captain IHalhed. MIr T V. Waugh and Mr C. C. Whiteley. Mr A. M?. W. Chal Imers was appointed auditor. The Chairman put a statement before the shareholders showing a most satisfactory balance-sheet for the first month's trading, notwithstand the very adverse conditions the new Company had to contend with. which shows very bright prospects for the future when the new buildings are completed and the hotel is in full running order. Communicated, Mr William Morris Hughes re ceived an enthusiastic welcome at Fremantle on Saturday last, 200 sol diers dragging his car through the streets. MIr Hughes has been rather unwell-especially since leaving Durban-but it is hoped that his arrival in Australia will be mark ed by a return to better health. Mr Hughes (and Sir Joseph Cook) was met by the Acting-Prime Minister. the Premier of Westralia and a number of his colleagues, the Mayors of Fremantle and Perth and a number of Federal and State Parliamentarians, the State Com mandant, representatives of the Returned Soldiers' Association and others. As usual, there was a note of opposition and some eggs were thrown at the Prime 'Minister, but he was not hurt by these, nor yet by the few hoots and groans -which accompanied them. Mr Hughes gave an address in the Fremantle Town Hall, during the course of which lie declared that the Returned Soldiers looked to him as their friend and they would not look in vain. He would help those who deserved to be help. ed?, but those who had done nothing to govern the country would not govern it if he could help it. He would oppose any party which de sired byl unconstitutional means or force to impose on the people a form of government to which they have not assented. Whatever strength he had of mind or body would be irrevocably opposed to any kind of government but that of majority rule. He was against profiteering and also against Bol shevism and would like to "shoot" them both.

SWriting from "Bonnie Doon" on Monday, Mr. J. G, Ford directs at tention to cruelty shown to a dumb animal last Friday on the Euston Road. 5; miles up-river from Gol Gol - just near ,he Goose-neck fence. *The evidence shows that a mare was cruelly beaten with dry sticks, pieces of which are strewn for about 200 yards along the road way. A broken flagon possibly provides the reason for the driver's outburst of temper. The marks show that eventually the mare either fell down or was knocked down and broke both shafts of the dray. The harness was then taken off and the mare was callously left to die on the roadside. She was still alive on Monday--left, so far as her youthful drivers were con cerned, without food or water. This is matter which well deserves en quiry from the Wentworth police. Thoughtlessness and hard-hearted ness of this sort should not go un punished. Mr. Ford is prepared to give the names of the offenders. The fortnightly meeting of the Jnuior Rechabites was held in the Drill Hall on Thursday evlening last. There was a fair attendance of members and Messrs R. Egge and F. Batten were the superin tendents in charge. One new mem ber was initiated. At the end of the meeting games were played and enjoyed by all present. The next meeting will be held on Thurs day evening,,4th September. which will take the form of a pound night. Cheap railway excursions will be run from Mildura and Merbein to Melbourne on Thursday, the 11th September, and from Irymple, Car warp, Yatpool, etc., to Melbourne on Monday, 29th September. The names of prize-winners in t:he Tig Phublicity Stunt will be ,pblished with the "Cultivator" on S i urday next. The principal nle?s -will 1e announced by the Shire President cn Thursday even, : ' at hc'Welccme home at 01yn: pia. The names of local prize winners will also be stated. ienamar is "fairly riddled" ,with ir-fienza-happily of the less virulent sort The public school has been closed and public meet ings (including church services) and entertainments are prohibited. A Queen Cc'npetition in aid of Donald Bard realised £595 in penny votes. Four queens entered, name ly, Mrs Black (Agriculture), Miss Watts (Soldiers). Mrs Walker (Railways), and Miss Schultze (Peace). The final count resulted: Queen of Agriculture. 37,450 votes; Queen of Soldiers. 36,669; Queen of Railways, 32,350; Queen of Peace, 30,034. Mr Thos. Mole. of Maryborough, who arrived in Australia in 1850, died last week, aged 89. Mr Wil liam Jones. who arrived about the same time, has also died at the age of 96. Both men were amongst the first arrivals at the Maryborough liggings in 1852. Mr Jones work ad at the Maryborough foundry un il he was 92 years of age. An aeronaut, with aeroplane, will visit Mildura shortly. The or ganising secretary of the Peace Loan itinerary has written to the Shire Secretary noting with pleas are that preparations are being made on "Mildura's well-known broad scale" to help the Peace Loan along. It has been decided (he says) to send an aeroplane to Mil dura and it will he piloted by that intrepid Australian aviator Captain I'Namara V.C. The visit will be made about the middle of Septem ber. Arrangements for a special day will be left in the hands of the local Committee. The Adelaide "Observer" publish ed a short obituary notice, with the photo, of Mr A. F. Cudmore. It reads: "Mr Arthur F. Cudmore, who died on Tuesday afternoon at his residence, Victoria Avenue,   Medindie, at the age of 65, was the youngest and only surviving son of the late Mr Daniel Cudmore, of Claremont, Glen Osmond. Mr Daniel Cudmore arrived from Tas- mania in 1837. and he and his four sons were well known in pastoral circles in South Australia, New South Wales and Queensland for many years. Mr A. F. Cudmore was educated at St. Peter's College, and on leaving school joined his brother, the late Mr D. H. Cud more, on Avoca Station. Went worth, N.S.W., where he spent the major portion of his life. In 1911, on the sale of Avoca, MIr Cudmore retired to live in Melbourne. He was interested in pastoral proper- ty in Queensland until his death. He has left a widow and three daugh- ters-Mrs R. F. Roberts, of "Baan gal," near Ballarat, V.; Mrs F. W. Porter, Medindie; and Mrs G. S. Stogdale of Sydney