FIFTY YEARS OF GROWTH
Record Of Charles Moore And Co. GOLDEN JUBILEE
To have grown in half a century from a small single fronted shop in Gouger street to one of the largest retail businesses in the Commonwealth, with extensive properties in three States,- is an
achievement of which any firm might well be proud. Such is the record of Charles Moore & Co., which today — the fiftieth anniversary of its establish ment — has, in addition to its large modern emporium at the corner of Vic toria square and Gouger street, flour ishing establishments in Melbourne, Perth, and Kadina, as well as a buying house in London. Prom the two or three assistants whom the late Mr. Charles Moore em- ployed when he opened his first shop on April 9, 1884, the number has grown to approximately 1,000, and instead of small rented premises -the firm now oc cupies its own freehold properties.
Late Mr. Charles Moore
Mr. Charles Carty Moore
The story of the late Mr. Charles Moore, the founder of the firm, reads almost like a fairytale. At the 'same time, however, it is an excellent ex ample of the opportunities in Australia for an enterprising man, and of how by strict attention to details and by tajdng advantage of those opportuni ties as they present themselves, one can rise from being an employe to the ownership of a business with large in terests In three States. Mr. Moore landed in South Australia in 1881 at the age of 23 with only a few pounds in his possession. He went straight into the drapery trade, having obtained employment at the establish ment of John Martin & Co., Ltd. He later worked for Matthew Goode and Co. and then in 1884. after he had been only three years in the State, he started in business lor himself in a small shop in Gouger street, west of the Central Market. Although Gouger street was not then looked upon as a particularly good business locality, the venture flourished remarkably. Not content with this, however, Mr. Moore in 1887 opened a branch in Kadina which was then a growing town and the centre of flourishing agricultural aiii mining in du6tzle& This, business also grew rapidly, sod today is one of the largest country stores in South Australia, being housed in its own freehold property at the corner of Graves and Hallett streets. London, Perth, Melbourne Further to extend his business ac tivities, Mr. Moore in 1892 established a London buying house, and four years later opened in Perth. This latter store, an attractive two-storied building, is situated in one of the best business parts of the Western Australian capi- tal having entrances to both Hay and Murray streets. In 1903 Mr. Moore turned his attention to Melbourne and purchased a large five-storied premises in Chapel street, Prahran, where an extensive business is now conducted. Although he was then the proprietor of four flourishing businesses in the Commonwealth. Mr. Moore had not yet realised his ideal of what a large de- partmental store should be. He deter- mined, therefore, to erect such, a stru-c are in Adelaide, where he had started his business career. By this time the Gouger -street business had long out- grown the original premises, and Mr Moore had moved into a building of his own in that street nearly up to Victoria square. It was in those premises in March, 1906, that the present manag- ing director in Adelaide (Mr. Campbell Smith) Joined the firm, having come from Scotland for that purpose. The site at the comer of Victoria square and Gouger street was purchased, and the erection of the present fine building was started. It was finished in 1916 and was officially declared open by the then Mayor of Adelaide (Mr. Isaacs) on August 29 of that year. The open ing ceremony was attended by thou- sands of persons, who afterwards in spected the building and admired the extensive panorama, of the city and suburbs obtainable from the roof gar- den. Unfortunately, however, Mr. Moore did not live long to enjoy the success of his latest venture, for exactly a month later, on September 29, 1916, he died at his home in Toorak, Victoria after a short illness. He was only 58, but be left behind him a monument to his enterprise and business acumen such as few men have built up in 32 yeare. Since his death the control of the business has devolved on to the present governing director, Mr. Charles Carty Moore, of Melbourne, under whose direction it has continued to grow until today it is one of the largest in the Commonwealth.