No corrections yet
PERSONAL: An old and esteemed resident of Woolsthorpe, in the ierson of Mr;W. Davidson, passed away at his resid ence recently, writes our Woolsthorpo correspondent. The late Mr. David son was bori- in Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1832, married in 1854, and shortly afterwards he and his young bride of "sweet 17," left the "Land o' Cakes" for Australia. arriving at Port Fairy in 1855. After landing, he entered Mr. Ware's employ at "Minjah." Subsequently helie began business at Woolsthorpe as a' storekeeper. In those early times there was. no rail way in. the Western District. and the Great North Road, from Warrnam bool to the diggings at Ararat, itas a busy. thoroughfare. Woolsthorpe was one of the camping places, and the storekeeper was expected to stock everything, from a needle to an an chor, and often £100 was taken in a day. When he relinquished store keeping, he devoted all his time to farming and dairying; but, for the past 12 years, owing to a paralytic stroke, he had been unable to take any active part in the work. He was of a genial disposition, and his fond ness for teasing, earned for him the title of "The Chaffer. He had a re tentive memory, and could tell amus ing and interesting anecdotes of the?: days when the blacks and kangaroos were more numerous than white peo ple. Mrs. Davidson died three years ago--a few months after their dia mond wedding. There are 12 survivr ing children, 43. grand-children and seven great-grand-children. The tu neral. whch took place on Tuesday, was largely attended, -and a number of beautful wreaths were placed on the grave. Thei burial service was conducted by the Rev. R. Nairn, of Koroit. The death of 'Mr. Davidson removes one of the oldest pioneers of the district.