Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

2 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections

A TRUE NARRATIVE. THE LIFE AND CAREER   OF ALEXANDER CHARLES SCOTT, (Alias Captain Moonlight.) One of the Australian Bushrangers. By SENIOR-CONSTABLE JAMES O'DWYER. Author of the History of the Outlawed Kelly Gang, and one of Ned Kelly's Capturers. In a handsome brick villa residence, on the banks of the River Owe, Owenbeg, Dungeevan, County Derry, Ireland, the subject of these lines, Alexander Charles Scott, alias Captain Moonlight, one of the Australian bush- rangers was born and bred. His father was the Church of England minister in and for the Parish of Dungeevan, and here this notorious criminal was brought up with all the care and attention of a fond father and mother to their son. At the age of 17 years old, and a student of the Agricultural school, "The Model Farm" at the city of   Derry, he made the acquaintance oft   "Evelin" second daughter of an Attorney of that town. He seduced this young lady on the promise that he would marry her, and   broke her heart by the disgrace he   brought on her young life from which she died on giving birth to a child. Young Scott at this time had made   his own life at home miserable, as well   as that of his father and mother, who by their advice and counsel had tried to turn him from his debauchery, and the   father failing in this, the young fellow was glad to accept £100, and took   passage as an emigrant to New Zealand,   where soon after his arrival, he joined the armed constabulary in the war that   was then carried on against the Maoris.   Whilst in action he distinguished himself and received a charge of small shot in the calf of his leg, which laid him up for some time, and the war being settled soon after, he came over to Victoria, knocked about Bendigo, now   called Sandhurst, for some time, and being one of those pushing go-ahead men, with polished manners and good address, he obtained an appointment as lay-reader, and when administering to   the spiritual wants of the Bacchus March district, he stuck up, and robbed the Egerton bank — in January 1869. This robbery was given into the hands of Detective Joseph Brown of Sandhurst to investigate, and from the clue he obtained, in company with Sergeant Drought, arrested Scott through the agency of a little boy, in a tent near Sandhurst.   The officers found out the boy who used to bring Scott his milk, and with this boy they approached the tent. The boy then called Scott, saying " Mr Scott, here is your milk." Scott, who at the time was lying on his bunk asleep got up, and reached   out his hand through the tent to take it; the hand was immediately grasped by Detective Brown, and Sergeant   Drought catching hold of him on the other side, he was an easy capture till the officers stood within the tent where   Scott resisted violently to get his revolver concealed under his pillow. It   was by the marks of the charge of shot   in the calf of his leg he received in New   Zealand, as well as the recovery of the greater portion of the notes stolen from the Egerton bank that he was identified by the officers.   Sergeant Drought has since then been raised to the rank of Superin-   tendent of Police and is at present in charge of the Western district, and Detective Brown to the rank of   Inspector in charge of Fitzroy, Mel- bourne, where he is still actively employed, and both officers possess the same tactics and stern resolve, which characterises experienced officers. Scott was tried for the Egerton bank robbery, was found guilty, and sentenced to 10 years' imprisonment in Pentridge prison. After his liberation from gaol in March 1879, he commenced to give   lectures on Pentridge prison at the Academy of Music, Ballarat, was praised and flattered by the Press for them as being very instructive and   interesting, and would always finish his   lectures with an advice to the young men ." To keep from drink, and bad company." Soon after this Scott turned out bushranging taking with him mounted and armed men. The horses they stole, and the arms and ammunition Scott purchased at "Rosier's" in Elizabeth street, Mel- bourne, with the money he made by his lectures at Ballarat. The gang consisted of Scott, leader; James Nesbitt, aged 24 years; Thomas Rogan, aged 22 years; Thomas Williams, and Frank Jones, aged 24 years; Graham Bennett, 20 years and a boy of only 16 years of age, named Gustave Wernecke. The latter was the son of respectable parents who resided in Melbourne.   The gang did not reign long, for they were cleverly captured by the New South Wales police near the first station they stuck up. One of the brave officers was fatally wounded in the encounter, from which he died on the following day.   On the north bank of the Murrum- bidgee about 100 miles north by east of Albury, lies the station of Wan- tabadgery, the property of Mr C. F. I. McDonald. There are two dwelling houses on the station, an old one which was under the care of Mr and Mrs Reid, situated about 27 miles from Gundagai or half way between that town and Wagga, and a new villa-like building, about a mile and a half further east, which was occupied by Mr McDonald, and his   station hands. On the afternoon of Saturday 15th November 1879, this place was stuck up by Alexander Charles Scott, alias Captain Moonlight, and his gang.   The gang had made their debut at Wantabadgery for the purpose of obtaiining more and better arms than they had, and also to secure horses. They stuck up the place when only two or three servants were there, and immediately commenced their depre- dations. The groom was compelled at the point of the revolver to break open the store-rooms, which were then ran- sacked and robbed.   During the afternoon, a number of additional station hands were bailed up and locked in a room. In the evening, Mr McDonald and his younger brother, Mr Baynes, the  

manager, and Mr Reid, a neighbour- ing storekeeper arrived, and were made prisoners. Mr Baynes proved rather intractable, and was therefore kicked about, and roughly handled. About a dozen men in all were in- carcerated in the various rooms. The gang kept a vigilant watch over them during the night, visiting the various rooms with a candle every half- hour, to see that no one had escaped. In the morning, Scott called out Mr McDonald, his brother and the manager, and locked all three up in the laundry — a detached building in the yard, and placed them on "swag men's"   rations. A valuable filly took Scott's fancy, but as it shied when he tried to mount he shot it dead with his revolver. Leaving four of his gang in charge of the prisoners, Scott acccmpanied by the boy Wernecke, went to the old station, and the local public house. He obtained additional arms at each place, and made prisoners of Mr and Mrs Reid, also a lame labourer who lived at the old station, and six men who were found at the hotel. The landlord of the hotel was not at home at the time, but two of his children were taken as hostages for his surrender, and his wife was left to bring him to the station.     As the old lame man lagged behind the other prisoners, Scott stabbed him in the hip with a bowie knife. During the afternoon Scott gave Mr Baynes five minutes to live, and made preparations for hanging him to a tree, but relented when the women com-   menced to shriek. That night 25 men and women were prisoners of the gang at the station. The visit to the hotel led to informa- tion being conveyed to the Wagga police. Four mounted troopers from Wagga arrived at daybreak, and called upon the bushrangers to surrender. Shots were exchanged, and the police were repulsed, and their horses captured. A reinforcement of five troopers under Sergeant Carroll arrived in the after- noon, and the gang having in the mean- time left the station were pursued.   They were tracked along the Clarendon road, and it was found that they had met and made prisoners of nine civilians who had turned out to assist the police, and that they had shot another horse. The pursuit was continued without loss of time, and the bushrangers were found at the house of a selector named M'Glade where they had been regaling themselves and their prisoners with brandy and milk. On the appearance of the police, they prepared for another encounter, and their prisoners took to flight. The police attacked them in open order, deploying in two's around the house.   They blazed away at each other for half-an-hour. The bushrangers fired from behind fences round the house, and the police from behind trees. The boy Wernecke fought like a tiger. He shot Constable Barry's horse under him, and sent several bullets unpleasently close to Barry himself. As he was running from a fence to reach a better position, Barry aimed at him deliberately, and shot him through the side dead. The police gradually advanced from tree to tree, and drove the remaining desperadoes into a detached back kitchen. After a good deal of powder and shot had been expended Sergeant Carroll led an assault upon the kitchen, and in this rally Constable Bowen was fatally wounded, a bullet from Moon- light's rifle entering his neck, and lodging near the spine. A shower of bullets were poured into the face and windows of the kitchen, and on Carroll bravely storming the back door the sur- viving bushrangers surrendered Nesbitt was found lying dead on the floor with a bullet hole in his right temple, and Bennett was wounded in the arm. Rogan succeeded in escap- ing, but was found next day under a bed in M'Glade's house. The bodies of the two dead offenders and the prisoners were taken to Gundagai. An inquest was held on the bodies and a verdict of justifiable homicide was returned. The prisoners were next day brought beforethe police court and committed for trial at Sydney on various icharges, varying from robbery to murder. They were then conveyed to Sydney and lodged in Darlinghurst gaol, Constable Bowen, a brave and gallant officer, died from his wound on the Sunday after the encounter. He was only 28 years of age, and left a young wife to mourn his sad fate. He was born at Camrhos, Pembrokeshire, near Haverford, West of England, and was the third son of a Church of Eng- land clergyman, was a great favourite for his gentlemanly principles, and courteous manners, and his remains were followed by a large number of friends to the cemetery. Scott who was 37 years of age at the time of his trial, together with Rogan were found guilty, and were hanged at Darlinghurst gaol on Tuesday 20th January 188o, in the presence of three members of Parliament, three doctors, the Police magistrate who committed them, Mr Fosbery, the Inspector General of Police, the Governor of the gaol, some of the New South Wales police, and three members of the Victoria police, besides a few others. And so ended the career of Scott who, if he had taken the advice of his mother, would have led an honourable life, and have been a credit to his country instead of a disgrace, dying that ignominious death on the scaffold. The following lines will not be out of place, for they are applicable to Scott's early career, and his last night in Darlinghurst gaol. —