Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

3 corrections, most recently by SParko - Show corrections

OBITUARY. AN EARLY PIONEER One of the oldest and best known of the early pioneers of the Warrackna- beal district, in the person of Mr. Wm. Gardiner, passed away at his residence in Scott-street early on Sun- day morning, at the ripe age of 78 years (writes the "Herald"). He ar- rived in Melbourne in 1849 by the barque Saxon, and after working several years in Melbourne, Geelong and on the goldfields, went to New Zealand, where he was pressed into the Queen's service and censured for sending reports to the Melbourne papers concerning the Wanganui outbreak among the Maories, and where he was wounded. He after- wards returned to Victoria and pro- ceeded to Hamilton and Belfast, going from the latter place to the Wimmera in 1873 as a reporter to the Belfast "Gazette" to report on the resources of that district as a field for settle- ment. When he saw the country he decided to settle there. He was also correspondent to the "Horsham Times" for a great many years. The late Mr. Gardiner was one of the early settlers here, and rendered great and valuable assistance in promoting the welfare of the district. His agitation through the press was mainly instrumental in having a cemetery site granted and utilised in 1875, prior to which great inconvenience was experienced by settlers in having to journey to Donald to effect interments. He was appointed the first sexton, and held the position till his death. Deceased was press correspondent, as previously stated, for the Belfast "Gazette," and after settling here acted in a like capacity for the "Horsham Times" for very many years. It was mainly on his advice that Mr. Fred. Martin, then of Horsham, was induced to start the Warracknabeal " Herald," which   has now grown to its present dimen- sions. As a builder, the deceased erected or supervised the erection of almost all the principal brick build- ings in the town. In the early days Mr. Gardiner was an indefatigable worker for the town. The cause of death was senile decay, although the old gentleman was very active up to within a few weeks of his death, syncope finally terminating his earthly existence. Deceased, who was a re- spected pioneer townsman, leaves a wife and grown-up family of three sons and one daughter, for whom sym- pathy is extended. Deep regret was felt at Rupanyup on Tuesday at the receipt of a tele- gram from Melbourne notifying the death of Mrs Jean Miller, wife of Mr. Wm. Miller, of Rupanyup. The de- ceased lady, who was 40 years of age, had, during her residence in Rupan- yup, won the respect of all with whom

she came in contact by her kindly disposition and willingness to assist in every movement got up for the benefit of the place. The deceased was a daughter of the late Mr. Peter McLintock, who was for many years manager of the Magdala mine at Stawell, and was therefore the sister of Mr. Peter McLintock, whose demise we chronicled in our Tuesday's issue. For some time past Mrs. Miller had not enjoyed the best of health, and recently underwent an operation at the Women's Hospital. As she was still weak from the result of this operation it was deemed advisable not to inform her of her brother's death, but this she learned on Monday evening, and the shock of the discovery proved too much for her enfeebled constitution, and she passed away at five o'clock on Tuesday morning. The deceased had many friends in Stawell, where she resided prior to her marriage. She leaves a husband and three young children to mourn their loss, and with whom deep sympathy will be felt. The remains were taken to Rupanyap for burial. A very sudden death happened on Sunday morning, Mr. Joseph Jelbart, contractor for the mails between Cara- pook and Casterton, passing away after a few hours' illness. He was in Cas- terton on Friday with the mails, in his usual health, and during the night was attacked with pneumonia. Mr. Jelbart was an old resident of the district, having settled on land in the Brimbool neighborhood in 1866. Subsequently he was in business as a blacksmith and wheelwright at Chetwynd, Merino, and Natimuk. It is a coincidence that his father and brother both died on Sunday morning in the same house.(at Carapook.) An old pioneer, Mrs. Hedditch, of Lower Cape Bridgewater, died on Friday, at the advanced age of 87. Deceased, who had enjoyed good health until a few days before her death, landed at Adelaide in 1838 with her late husband, Mr. Richard Charlton Hedditch. The Eden, the ship in which she came out, was the first but one to arrive at Adelaide. About 1841 Mr. and Mrs. Hedditch came to Portland, and shortly afterwards settled down at Bridgewater. Mr. Jas. Baillie, an old resident of Hamilton, died on Wednesday, aged 79. Deceased arrived in Victoria about 40 years ago, and for the greater part of that period had resided in Hamilton. The death is reported of Mrs. J. O'Loughlin, widow of the late Mr. J. O'Loughlin, of Sheep Hills, after a lengthy illness. Deceased had been under treatment in Melbourne, and recently returned home. The funeral took place on Sunday, and was largely attended. The Rev. Father O'Brien conducted the funeral service. De- ceased, who was 66 years of age, leaves a grown-up family of four daughters and two sons.