Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

10 corrections, most recently by swade - Show corrections





The second semi-final of the Victorian Football Association between Brunswick and North Melbourne drew 16,000 or 17,000  

people to the East Melbourne Cricket- ground on Saturday. The weather was all against outdoor sport, but at least 15,000 of these people stood out in the rain and watched one of the poorest games of the season. Last year these teams had to play three times before they reached finality. On Saturday they had not been going three minutes before it was apparent that North Melbourne were the more deter- mined, more skilful side on the wet ground, and the further the game proceeded the more accentuated became their superiority. Each side was strongly represented, though many Brunswick supporters thought their committee had erred in judgment in choos- ing Stancliffe, who was lame from the start, while sound men in Gibson and Ste- venson were looking on. That they were right was proved conclusively, for Stan- cliffe was useless all day. North Melbourne were without their former captain (Bar- ker), and it was noticeable that little Hardy (their rover) had to make his own open- ings, as he missed Barker's hitting out all day. The players had early in the week unanimously decided to ask that Barker should be included in the team, but Barker himself prevented that decision being offi- cially communicated to the committee. As it was, the side did all that was asked of it, but the opposition was by no means strong.        

As an exhibition of football the game was far below the standard usually set by the leading Association teams. The wet   ground—which, however, was in much bet- ter condition than the Melbourne ground had been on the previous Saturday—and slippery ball certainly militated against the finer points of the game, but there was too much fumbling and bad kicking, too many missed marks, and, moreover, too much interference with the man to make it anything like a good exhibition. The North Melbourne men had evidently made up their mind to prevent Brunswick getting their system to work, and they suc- ceeded. They stuck to their men like leeches, they bumped and crowded them, and, instead of the system being shown by "the Magpies," it was the "Blue Birds" who carried out the quick, short-passing rushes which are so attractive and effec- tive. North Melbourne played the more forcible game, and from first to last they

were winners all the time.

North Melbourne had first use of the breeze, and kicked towards the grand-stand end. At the bounce Hardy hooked the ball out, spun it forward, Keith Johnston got it, and passed it across to Carpenter, who scored from a sharp angle. First goal to North, with Brunswick practically standing still. North kept up the attack, but Chase and McLeod kept them out.   When Treloar brought it in again, Keith Johnson's selfishness in trying a long shot

instead of passing to a comrade lost North   an easy chance. Free kicks to Stancliffe and Chase relieved the pressure, and then Mills, Chandler, Moss, and Harker got it down the Jolimont wing, but Miles re- lieved. Sheehan and Jones put North in attack, and again Keith Johnston failed through selfishness. A forward cannot play all the backs single-handed. McLeod was playing grandly in Brunswick's defence   and Chase was doing good work until a   blow on the eye sent him reeling out of a crush, and for a long while he was very quiet. North were going two strides to Brunswick's one, and the game became crowded and scrambling. The reduction of teams to sixteen a-side has not the de- sired effect when captains allow their wings to close in, and their place men to   crowd on the ball. In this class of foot- ball Brunswick were no match for North, McLeod saved the Magpies again and again. Once Stancliffe and McKenzie opened the game out, and Ross almost reached the goal, but Hardy raced it away almost from the line. Heron brought it up with a     run, and it became crowded and scrambling again. Another mark by McLeod gave Brunswick another rest, and McKenzie, Sullivan to Harker, back to McKenzie, and over to Price, and he drop-kicked a goal. It was raining steadily then, and there wonted to be no enthusiasm in the crowd; the success being received in unusual silence. People have to become thawed on a day like Saturday before they become demonstrative. North Melbourne at once     attacked again, and for a while 26 of the players were within 40 yards of the Bruns- wick goal. The play was slow and mud- dling, with Brunswick unable to check North Melbourne, who, but for missing badly, must have taken a long lead. And so it went on, Brunswick occasionally rais- ing the siege. When they did so Gardi- ner, Miles, and Pemberton relieved, and at quarter-time the score was—North Mel- bourne, 1 goal 4 behinds; Brunswick, 1 goal

1 behind.

The second quarter began with a Bruns-  

wick rush, which Gardiner turned, and

Pemberton and J. Johnson carried it on. There was some roughing up at the lower end of the ground, Hawkins bowling Braid over, and George giving Keith Johnston a fall. In each ease the lighter man went down. North were pressing hard, and the   Brunswick backs crowding, scrimmaging and scrambling were rife. North were marking better, but it was poor football all round. Sullivan was playing finely for Brunswick, his mittens seeming to enable him to hold the ball. They did not save him from a trip by Laver. Then a ludicrous incident   occurred. Mills, of Brunswick, one of the smallest men afield, who had been singu- larly ineffective, got a kick, and had got rid of the ball when Hawkins, of North Melbourne, one of the biggest men in the game, bowled him over. As Mills picked himself up, wondering what had happened, he saw Hawkins cautioning him with out-

stretched finger. Whether it was a warn- ing not to get the ball again was not clear,

but people laughed. It was very rough and hard on Brunswick's half-back line, with elbows swinging, and Kendall seemed powerless to stop it. Out of the crush Keith Johnston scored an easy goal, but im- mediately Brunswick responded. Chase brought it up with a run, and Harker snapped the goal. After Hardy had missed an easy shot for North, a dash by Chase gave Harker another chance and a goal, and scores were level, though North had been twice as many times over the goal- line. North soon recovered their lead, Hardy snapping their third goal, and they

went in for half-time with the scores:—     Brunswick, 3 goals 2 behinds; North Mel- bourne, 3 goals 8 behinds.

The second half was the same sort of game, but North's superiority became the   more pronounced. Brunswick were out- classed, and one wondered how they had gained their place in the finals if this was   their form. Keith Johnston got North's   fourth goal, but Hawkins, who spent much of his time cautioning other players, missed       one from five yards away. Brunswick   seemed powerless, though McLeod and Braid were defending finely. At last they struggled down the wing, and reached the goal, Chandler raising the flags, and that       ended then scoring for the match. Occa- sionally the game livened up, but it was in the main dull and uninteresting and rough and unpleasant. Just before three-quarter time Treloar snapped fifth goal for North, and they led at the interval by 5-12 to 4-2.    

The final term needs no description, for Brunswick were powerless, and I have   seldom seen a team so beaten in a semi-   final. Gardiner and George were at cross-   purposes, and Walsh elbowed Stancliffe un- fairly, but these were by no means the only incidents which merited condemnation.   Hawkins was running wild, but nothing could save Brunswick, and Freeman, Tre-

loar, and Carpenter adding goals, it ended—   North Melbourne, 8 goals 16 behinds (64  


Brunswick, 4 goals 2 behinds (26 points).

North Melbourne were easily the better side; their methods were the more forcible

in fact. I think Kendall's leniency had     much to do in spoiling the game. A strong hand at the start might have stopped a   lot of what went on. North Melbourne had a lot of fine players. Jones in the centre was very busy, and on either side of him Heron and Lever did well. J. Johnson, K. Johnston, Sheehan, Treloar, McKay, Hardy, Miles, Gardiner, and Walsh may also be mentioned. On the Brunswick side it may be said McLeod first, Sullivan second, Price, Chase, Braid, and Ross also ran, but of the

rest there is little to remark. In defence the side was strong. In attack and across the centre it was lamentably weak.




With Saturday's games in the League, the first series of home-and-home matches finished. Next             Saturday will see the first of the semi-finals, when   South Melbourne and St. Kilda meet on the Mel- bourne Cricket-ground. The season has been satis-   factory in two elements. The first is in the con-   duct rather than the character of the play. With the introduction of open professionalism it was feared that little cliques would be formed within the clubs—a few men helping each other to their personal advantage, and without regard to the in- terests of the side. Nothing of the sort has oc- curred. Then, again, we heard the fear often ex- pressed that professional football meant rough football. Here, again, the fear was not confirmed in the fact. Having watched football for come 30 years, I can recall no season in which the play was so conspicuously fair, in which rough play was so   notably absent, spite or ill-temper so seldom mani-  

fest. It is impossible to say too much upon that phase, or to commend too highly the conduct of the players. It may be that the field stewards and the appointment of censors outside the League   to investigate charges and punish offences has, in some measure, brought about this happy result, but the generous thing is to give the players full credit

for better conduct.

The season is further satisfactory from the dis-   interested onlooker's point of view in that it brings new clubs into the finals. Three of this year's four survivors were not in the finals last   winter—the comfort to Essendon, Carlton, and Geelong is that the levelling up, or down, as the case may be, gives them all a hope next year, while Richmond deserves a higher place than it actually got. It has no reason to be pessimistic about the future. Two clubs of the League and one of the Association stand out prominently as champions upon their own ground, and very often lambs off it. These three are Geelong, St. Kilda, and Williamstown A club has to play well on all grounds, and under all conditions, to become   champions. St. Kilda's best on its ground has been exceptionally fine—its worst, generally seen     on other grounds, has been inexplicably poor.

Saturday's results against Geelong do not suggest the winning of a pennant, but then they were play-     ing home-birds like themselves, and anything may   happen, as far as St. Kilda is concerned, in next   Saturday's semi-final.    

Fitzroy, at the head of the list, and with a double chance in the finals, have earned their place. A little while ago they had to face re-organisation very seriously, just as Essendon are doing now, but they took the task seriously and thoroughly.

Whatever happens, they have already got their reward. They had to win a few games at the start of the season before it was realised that Fitz- roy was re-established as a champion side—they   have the advantage of being able to play two kinds of football. In the close, crushing, smash-   ing-up sort of game they are just about as powerful     as Carlton were a few seasons back, but they have demonstrated, more than once, that they can play the fast, open game as well as any other side in

the League.

The general character of the football played this winter calls for no rhapsody. The weather was fine, the grounds generally fast, the pace as hot as anyone could wish it, yet the skill hardly up to the standard one might have expected with games so fairly played. Still, if League football only   maintains its present standard, there will be little room for fault-finding. The one defect, it   seems to me, is that on certain grounds there has   been reason at times to suspect an organised at- tempt to over-awe the umpire. That is a matter,   however, over which neither the League nor the clubs have either authority or control, though one   which may become a serious blot upon the Aus-

tralian reputation for sportsmanship and fair play.  

A curious feature in the season's results is that the University, unable to win a match, furnishes the champion goal-kicker of the season, Park     beating Freake, of Fitzroy, for that honour by four goals. The result, very properly, is limited to the first round. Park, in his methods, is the nearest approach to what was of old somewhate un- happily called a "goal-sneak." He literally sneaks     them—there is nothing of the Thurgood in his play—but then there in a very considerable dif- ference in physique to be considered. The posi- tion of clubs in the first phase are as follows:—  



Fitzroy .. .. .. .. .. | 16 | 2 | .. | 72 | 64 | 88 South Melbourne | 14 | 3 | 1 | 72 | 58 | 80 Collingwood .. .. .. | 13 | 5 | .. | 72 | 52 | 72 St. Kilda .. .. .. .. ..| 11 | 7 | .. | 72 | 44 | 61 Geelong .. .. .. .. .. | 10 | 8 | .. | 72 | 40 | 55 Carlton .. .. .. .. .. | 9 | 8 | 1 | 72 | 38 | 52 Richmond .. .. .. ..| 6 | 12 | .. | 72 | 24 | 33 Essendon .. .. .. .. | 6 | 12 | .. | 72 | 24 | 33 Melbourne .. .. .. | 4 | 14 | .. | 72 | 16 | 20 University .. .. .. | .. | 18 | .. | 72 | .. | ..


Match. | 1st Q'ter.| 2nd Q'ter.| 3rd Q'ter. |Final.|Points. S. Melbourne . .| 1-1 | 5-4 | 7-6 | 8-8 | 56 Collingwood . . | 2-4 | 3-7 | 4-10 | 7-12 | 54

Fitzroy . . . . | 3-7 | 4-7 | 7-9 | 7-13 | 55 Carlton . . . . | 0-1 | 2-7 | 3-7 | 4-8 | 32

Geelong . . . | 2-3 | 8-12 | 9-13 | 15-18 | 108

St. Kilda . . .| 2-2 | 3-2 | 3-10 | 5-10 | 40

Essendon . . . | 3-7 | 4-10 | 6-14 | 6-16 | 52 Melbourne . .| 1-1 | 3-2 | 4-4 | 6-6 | 42

Richmond . . .| 3-4 | 5-6 | 9-10 | 15-11 | 101



Geelong have finished the season at their top,     and in seeing the team soundly defeat St. Kilda on Saturday the home barrackers took their pleasure sadly through the reflection of what might have been if they had got into the finals. They are a dangerous side at present, and with the infusion of new blood will make a bolder bid next season. Saturday's game should be an object lesson to St. Kilda, who overdid handball to an absurd degree, and saw Geelong gaining incessantly with long,   driving kicks into the teeth of goal. It is sur- prising to see the older players of the side, Cum- berland amongst them, bothering with finnicking little kicks when the long drive is the correct game. The wrong was perhaps accentuated on Saturday by the exceptional speed of the home players. They were always in front, and invari- ably snapped up the misjudged passes of the St.

Kilda men.

St. Kilda had the first use of the wind, and negatived it by bad play. Eicke and Baird twice drove Geelong back, but A. Eason and James came again, and T. Brownless at an angle place- kicked a lovely goal two and a half minutes after the start. A prompt reply from St. Kilda came in Collins's run to goal and Cumberland's fine place shot, but for the next ten minutes the visitors looked on while Geelong hammered the goal. A. Eason hit the post, and Heinz was handy with a straight punt when Martini's shot had fallen short. When St. Kilda's, turn came Slater and Grigg were invincible defenders, and kept play out on the wings. Sellars got his side's second goal, but they were a point to the bad when Geelong changed over with the wind and showers. The board showed Geelong 2-3 to 2-2.

In the boisterous second quarter Geelong, played wonderful football, Grigg and Heinz showing out at their best. Geelong put on six goals nine behinds, the kickers in order being T. Brownless, Heinz, Martini (a beautiful kick), Grigg, Healey, and Orchard. St. Kilda's only score was at the opening of the quarter, when Schmidt and Angwin led up, and Sellars dodged the pack and scored. At the interval Geelong had 8-12 to 3-2, and St. Kilda's prospects went back when it was found that a knock in the thigh had settled Lever. He was only on the ground for a few minutes of the third quarter, and was useless.

Another long kick by Martini gave Geelong ninth goal, but for the balance of the term play was tame. St. Kilda tacked on eight behinds with flying shots, and were still showing wretched   judgment in bringing the ball in range. Scown   made his second good run of the day in this term, and T. Brownless just missed the goal.

A lead of 38 points and the wind to help them did not make Geelong ease off. Tom Brownless added two more goals with pretty kicks, and then Schmidt, who was in good terms with him- self all day, made a tearing rush to the goal, took many risks, but luckily got the points. Martini's kick for Geelong's 12th was a beauty. Heinz, helped by R. Brownless and Martini, snapped the 13th, and Orchard's breezy dash was crowned   with another goal. Schmidt led a move at the other end, where Morrissey scored on an angle, but Geelong were pressing them again at once, and T. Brownless and Grigg managed the 15th goal just before the bell. The final score was:—Geelong, 15 goals 18 behinds; St. Kilda, 5 goals 10 behinds.  

Geelong had no weak spot on the side. Grigg and Heinz were brilliant; Dalton on the wing did much more work than Howden, and Collins had enough to do to check Scown without doing brilliant things himself. Slater, McCarter, Arm-   strong, Orchard, T. Brownless, and A. Eason just stood out from a very even pack. Cumberland

was not too well, and kept himself much in re- serve. Baird, Eicke, Hattam, Millhouse, Danger-   field, Sellars, Schmidt, Morrissey were the best   of the St. Kilda side. Elder had one of his lenient days, and let more go than usual.



About 6,000 spectators witnessed the game be-     tween Carlton and Fitzroy on Prince's Oval. As Carlton had failed to gain a place in the final four   there was not a great deal of interest in the


Fitzroy, with the wind in the first quarter, were   attacking for some time, and had scored seven be- hinds before Heaney, with a snapshot, got first goal. Freake followed with another. Carlton   made one rally, and Valentine, from an easy chance, hit the post. Willoughby kicked Fitzroy's third     goal just before quarter-time.  

Carlton did better in the second quarter, when they had the wind, but the play generally was uncertain, heavy rain having made the ground   slippery and the ball difficult to hold. Valentine got a clever goal for Carlton with a screw kick over his head, and also got the second. Then Fitz- roy got away from the Carlton backs, and Freake,       after a nice mark, got a goal—their only score during the term. At half-time Fitzroy led by 12 points.

As in the first quarter, Fitzroy prevailed, and added three goals, the kickers being Freake,   Heaney, and Willoughby. Wells got a goal for Carl-    

ton, and at the last change Fitzroy had the match   well in hand.  

The last quarter was uninteresting, too many men being on the ball. There were not many oppor-   tunities of scoring, and only one goal was kicked,    

Hanna getting the fourth goal for Carlton. Fitz-    

roy were persistently looking for Freake instead     of kicking for goal. Freake got three goals, and missed several easy chances from marks in front.  

For the winners the half-back line—Bamford,     Cooper, and Johnson—were strong defenders. Buisst and Holden were prominent on the wings. Martin followed in fine form, while Heaney, Leth- bridge, McLennan, Willoughby, and Toohey deserve


On the Carlton side Dick, half-back, was the most useful man. He stopped many Fitzroy     rushes, and held the marks well. Evans did good     work on the wing and half-back, McDonald was   prominent, especially in the later stages. Baud, Hanna, Valentine, Sharp, and Haughton were the   best of the others.



There was only a small attendance at the Mel-

bourne ground, where Essendon met Melbourne.   The rain, however, spoilt the game, and made the conditions unsatisfactory alike to players and spec-


Essendon were aggressive in the first quarter, scoring 3 goals 7 behinds to 1 goal 1 behind.   Baring, who was following finely, got two goals and Sewart one. Politz scored for Melbourne with a "grubber," which beat the goalkeeper. But   of the play there was little to warrant descrip-


In the second quarter Melbourne prevailed, get- ting two goals to one by Essendon. Ogden, for Essendon, hit the post, but immediately after he had another shot and scored. Two kicks sufficed for Melbourne's second goal—Armstrong from the ruck passed to Lilley, who scored. Melbourne's new man, Dimsey, was seen to advantage, and has un- doubtedly made good. McDougall kicked Mel- bourne's third goal, and for a time Essendon   were out of the hunt. In the third quarter Es- sendon still held the lead, and kept it, getting two additional goals to Melbourne's one, and at three-quarter time Essendon led by 6 goals 14 be-   hinds to 4 goals 4 behinds.  

With a lead of 22 points, Essendon looked to have the game safe, but Melbourne showed that they could last, and with repeated charges they     gradually lessened Essendon's lead. Politz scored Melbourne's fifth goal. Their sixth was got     luckily, however. Robertson kicked across goal,

and McKenzie dashing in got his foot to the ball and it dribbled through. With only 10 points separating them, Essendon livened up, and good work by Ogden, Baring, Shea, Sewart, and Han- ley kept away Melbourne's rushes. The final scores were:—Essendon, 6 goals 16 behinds (52     points), Melbourne, 6 goals 6 behinds (42 points).

Baring, Hanley, Sewart, Shea, Lumsden, Ogden,

and Donaldson showed out prominently for Es-   sendon, and Melbourne's best were Lilley, Dimsey, McKenzie, Monk, Pearce, Lugton, Allan, and Tom-




There was only a meagre attendance on the Richmond ground when the home team and Uni- versity met in their final engagement for the sea- son. At the conclusion of the match there was a scene almost unprecedented in League football. A section of the Richmond supporters rushed the ground, and carried in Park, Universty's crack   forward, shoulder high, a tribute to his remarkable success in winning the goal-kicking competition.  

A shower of rain just as play began made the ball greasy. University soon got within range, and Park had a hurried shot, which Love cleverly stopped. Atkins had a mark, and twice, after unsuccessful shots, the ball was brought back be- cause an opponent went over his mark At the third attempt he got a behind. Richmond mono- polised the scoring for the rest of the term, Ma- honey, Reeves, and Hall kicking goals. At the first change Richmond led by 3-4 to 0-2.  

The students showed their best football in the second term. A goal and behind by Doubleday, and a couple of minor points soon reduced Richmond's lead considerably. University were showing well in the ruck, but were more than held in check across the centre, where Morgan was playing bril- liantly. Keggin and Ricketts again scored for Richmond, and towards the end of the quarter     West was twice successful with snaps.

The second half belonged to Richmond, who put on 4-4 to 1-1 in the third quarter, and in the early stages of the final quarter further aug- mented their score. The home team then eased  

up, and Park got four goals for the students in  

about five minutes, while he hit the post with another shot. The final scores were:—Richmond,     15-11; University, 8-11.

The winners were distinctly the superior side, only meeting with serious opposition in the second term. Nearly every man on the winning side played well, but Maybury, James, Mahoney, Mor-       gan, Moffat, and Bristowe were the most conspicuous.

Park was very closely watched in the earlier stages, of the game, but towards the close, when he obtained four of his five goals, he never met

any strenuous opposition. Other of the students to come under notice were West, Willis, Atkins, McLeod, Hurrey, and Wood.



The games on Saturday concluded the first round for the premiership, and resulted in Collingwood District winning the minor premiership for the  

first time since joining the association. Out of 18   games the District only lost one, and won the others fairly comfortably. The minor premiers possess a very even 18, and their form has been most consistent throughout. Leopold have also been very successful, and promise to take a part in the final. As a result of winning the premiership last year, the Beverley team has been depleted of more than half of last year's 18 which competed in the final game, Richmond, Essendon, Melbourne, Collingwood and Carlton senior clubs benefiting. Fitzroy began the year badly, but played most consistently subsequently, and just missed fourth   place. South Yarra has a fair side, and were the only side equal to lowering the colours of Colling-

wood District.

The semi-final games next Saturday will be—Col- lingwood District v. Beverley, Leopold v. South Yarra. One will be played on the Melbourne Cricket-ground, at 1 o'clock, before the league semi-final, and the other on the Richmond Cricket- ground, at 3 o'clock.


Fitzroy Juniors, 7 goals 16 behinds (58 points), beat Carlton District, 2 goals 6 behinds (18 points).

South Yarra, 6 goals 8 behinds (44 points), beat Hawthorn, 5 goals 5 behinds (35 points).

Beverley, 13 goals 10 behinds (88 points), beat University, 3 goals 6 behinds (24 points).

Collingwood District, 8 goals 9 behinds (57

points), beat Leopold, 7 goals 6 behinds (43


Caulfield, 10 goals 5 behinds (65 points), beat Collegians, 8 goals 14 behinds (62 points).


Club. Matches. Won. Drawn. Lost. Pts.   Collingwood District 18 17 .. 1 68 Leopold .. .. .. .. 18 14 1 3 58 South Yarra .. .. 18 12 .. 6 48   Beverley .. .. .. 18 10 .. 8 40 Fitzroy Juniors .. 18 9 .. 9 36   University .. .. .. 18 8 .. 10 32

Carlton District . . 18 7 .. 11 28   Collegians .. .. .. 18 4 1 13 18   Caulfield . .. .. .. 18 4 .. 14 16 Hawthorn .. .. .. 18 4 .. 14 16



Yarraville and Williamstown, the second and fourth teams on the premiership list, had a very fast game at North Melbourne, despite the wet ground and greasy ball. Honours were well bal- anced right through. Both teams played a very strenuous game, so much so that system was mostly conspicuous by its absence. In the last quarter the best football was played. Yarraville won with the scores:—Yarraville, 5 goals 5 behinds (35 points); Williamstown, 4 goals 6 behinds (30 points). Williamstown were handicapped from the middle of the second quarter. Litchfield, in going for a mark, slipped and cracked one of the bones in his left leg. He was treated on the ground, and afterwards taken home. His absence was a great loss to Williamstown, as be was playing a very brilliant game L. J. Delaney umpired very well. The next semi-final, Port Melbourne v. Brighton, will be played at North Melbourne next Saturday.



Everleigh beat Northern District by 3 points.

Brunswick Juniors, 11 goals 11 behinds (72 points), beat Hawthorn B, 5 goals 11 behinds (41 points).

Richmond District had a walkover from Mel-

bourne District.  


Coburg .. .. ..


Richmond District .. .. Clifton Hill Methodists

Elsternwick .. .. Brunswick Juniors .. ..  

Hawthorn B .. .. .. Northern District .. .. Melbourne District . ..  

Oakleigh .. .. .. .. .. Everleigh .. .. .. .. ..


Albert Park had all the best of the game in  

their replayed tie with Birmingham, and scoring through H. Smith and Anderson, ran out easy win-

ners by 2 goals to nil.  

The Junior Cup provided two closely-contested games, Preston just scraping home against Haw- thorn by 2 goals (Pugh and Hutton) to 1, and

Moorabbin accounting for Sunshine, by 1 goal   (scored by Allan) to nil.

Burns had an easy task in meeting Footscray,     whom they defeated by 4 goals to 2. Though in all probability they will lose the premiership by 1 point, Burns have the satisfaction of knowing that they are the only undefeated league club

of the season.

A fast and even game was seen between Thistle and Prahran, and a draw of 1 goal each just about represents the run of the play, Guthrie and

S. Smith scoring.

LEAGUE TABLE. First Division.



Played. Won. Lost.      

Burns .. .. Yarraville .. Thistle .. .. ..

St. Kilda. ..

Birmingham .

Prahran . .. Albert Park Footscray ..



The final match for the premiership was played on the Heidelberg Park oval on Saturday, between Fairfield Seniors and Ivanhoe, in the presence of over 500 spectators. The adverse weather, however, completely spoiled the game, which resulted in a one-sided victory for the latter, the scores being: —Ivanhoe, 4 goals 10 behinds (34 points); Fair-

field, 1 goal 8 behinds (14 points). Goal-kickers:— Ivanhoe—R. Wyatt (2), L. Sach, Wilson. Fair-

field—P. James.


BALLARAT.—The first of the semi-finals for the       local premiership was played at the City Oval on   Saturday. With a favouring breeze behind them, Golden Point scored only 1 goal 6 behinds against Imperials' one goal in the fiist quarter, and Point supporters were not well pleased. Against the wind, however, they did better, carrying their score to 4 goals 8 behinds, while Imperial managed   only a second goal. The latter had the advan- tage of the third term, but finished it with a shortage of 15 points. Three minutes after play was resumed Imperial got a goal, and then they   steadily scored behind after behind, until, with eight minutes to go, they managed another goal, and were 1 point to the good. The cheering which followed this had scarcely subsided when Point made a dash, and sent up the two flags,   which put them in front again. Thence to the   bell the game was a strenuous one, but no more scoring was done, and the final was—Golden Point, 7 goals 8 behinds (50 points), Imperial, 6 goals 9 behinds (45 points). Imperial hit the post twice. Next Saturday Ballarat and Ballarat South (the minor premiers) meet, and the winners play Golden Point for the premiership.

BRIGHT.—Porepunkah 8 goals 7 behinds (55 points), beat Freeburgh, 2 goals 3 behinds (15 points). Porepunkah meet Bright next Saturday, and the winners play off the final with Wandili-


CASTLEMAINE.—The grand final in the Castle-   maine district competition was played on the Camp   Reserve on Saturday afternoon between Foundry     and Kyneton Collegians. The result was:—Colle-   gians, 5 goals 3 behinds (33 points); Foundry, 2 goals 6 behinds (18 points).  

COBRAM.—In the Goulburn Valley Association   matches, Cobram, 8 goals 17 behinds, beat Dru- manure, 3 goals 4 behinds.

DAYLESFORD.—A match between Brighton    

Juniors and Daylesford took place here on Satur-     day in Victoria park. The visitors came by   motor-car. Owing to the slippery condition of   the road the journey occupied nine and a half hours. The match resulted in a victory for Daylesford by 2 goals and several behinds. In the evening the visitors were entertained by the   local club at a smoke social at Tognini's Dayles-

ford Hotel.

GEELONG.—Prior to the Geelong and St. Kilda       match ou Saturday, a challenge game was played     between Winchelsea and Inverleigh, the leading clubs in the Polwarth Association competition. Play was more earnest than scientific, and the scores were level three minutes before time. Win- chelsea made a desperate rush, and a flying shot gained the winning point a few seconds before the finish. The final score was:—Winchelsea, 2 goals   10 behinds (22 points), Inverleigh, 2 goals 9 behinds (21 points).  

LEONGATHA.—In the Korumburra District         Association semi-final Loch, 3 goals 6 behinds (24   points), beat Outtrim, 1 goal 7 behinds (13


MATONG (N.S.W.).—Narradera Imperials de-   feated Matong by five points in the grand final for the premiership of the South-western District  


PAKENHAM.—In the final match of the Berwick     District Association, Dandenong, 3 goals 11 behinds (29 points), beat Berwick, 2 goals 10 behinds (22 points). Goal-kickers—For Dandenong, Noble,     Radd, and Doherty, for Berwick, Lecky and Wat-       son. By this win Dandenong become premiers,     Berwick are runners up, Pakenham third, and   Springvale fourth.

YARRAWONGA.—In the Yarrawonga Associa-   tion matches St. James, 3 goals 2 behinds (20 points), beat Benalla, 2 goals 1 behind (13 points); Yarrawonga, 6 goals 8 behinds (44 points), de- feated Wilby, 1 goal 4 behinds (10 points); Laka Bowan, 3 goals 6 behinds (24 points), beat Tunga- mah, 1 goal 4 behinds (10 points); Mulwala, 4 goals 11 behinds (35 points), beat Telford, 2 goals 3 behinds (15 points).


ADELAIDE.—On Saturday Port beat West by   10-12 to 7-10, and thus won the minor premiership The teams are placed:—Port, West, Sturt, North,   South, Torrens and Norwood. In the B grade pre- miership challenge game Sturt defeated Port by

4-17 to 5-8.

BROKEN HILL.-Broken Hill, 5 goals 10 behinds beat North, 4 goals 11 behinds; South, 11 goals 7 behinds, beat West, 5 goals 7 behinds.


WELLINGTON, Sunday.—The New South Wales   Rugby team defeated Taranaki by 11 points to 9.

The Taranaki backs were unequal to the task set them by the Welshmen, but the local forwards generally bested their visitors. Auckland beat Wel-

lington by 11 points to 9; Canterbury beat Waira- rapa by 8 points to 3; Southland drew with South Canterbury (3 points to 3); Christ's College, Christchurch, beat Wanganui College, by 22 points

to nil.

AUCKLAND Sunday.—Before 12,000 spectators the New South Wales League representatives de- feated Auckland by 27 points to 2. The play was fast, and the visitors exhibited greater knowledge of the game, outclassing the locals in all depart- ments. The blue backs indulged in beautiful pass- ing. Their forwards worked finely. Two Auck- landers were injured early and were replaced.