Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

1 correction by ianlb - Show corrections

? .«, ? PORT WALCOTT. The Clarence Pachet arrived at Port Wal cott on 20th November, and sailed for Fremantle on 2nd December. She took in 67 bales of wool — all the wool in the district, except 8 bales, belonging to Messrs. Viveash & Co. — and arrived at Fremantle on Friday last. On the loth October Mr. Anderson, one of the partners of the Portland Squatting Company, laid an information before the Acting Resident Magistrate, C. E. Broad hurst, Esq., to the effect that the ' Kirkir dies,' a cirenracised inland tribe, had speared some of his sheep. A warrant was issued for the arrest of' six natives, and p.c. Jones, with native assistrait Peter, | were dispatched on the same day to execute the warrant. They were to be joined by Mr. Grant and perhaps others, when thry arrived at Mr. Anderson's

station. On the 19th Jones and Peter returned with three prisoners. There being no gaol, the natives . had to be chained to one of the posts of a stable in course of erection, a bell tent being placed over them as a protection from the snn. The prisoners were brought before Mr. Broadhnrst on the 24th October, and remanded, in consequence of the absence of the prosecutor and witnesses. On the 26th they appeared, and the men (Jerring and Mindegoora) having pleaded guilty, were sentenced each to 6 months9 impri sonment with hard labour; the third was acquitted. On the evening of the 8th November the natives contrived to make their escape, having picked their hand cuffs with a piece of stick, and on the following morning Jones and Peter were despatched in search of the absconders, bnt returned on the 12th, unsuccessful. They were dispatched again on the 29th, and had not returned when the vessel left. Mr. Nairn started for the DeGrey on 25th October, and returned on the 12th November. He reported that the country at the DeGrey was dry, but that the stock was looking well. A serious accident happened to Byfield, the Government blacksmith, on the 31st October, in conseqnence of the bursting of a gan. His hand was much mutilated, the flesh being taken off from the middle finger of the left hand from the second joint downwards, the bone being left bare. The fore-finger of the same hand was also much damaged, and there was a gash between the thumb and fore-finger. There being no medical man in the district, he was treated with simple remedies, and sent up to Perth in €!ae Clarence Packet, finrl ic °nrrar in H nsTYira] .

On the 4th November the Neva Perseve rance arrived with the first instalment of stock from. JRoebnck Bay. She was 14 days on the passage, and lost abont 150 sheep out of 660. She also brought 7 or 8 horses and a bulL The stock had nothing to eat for four days before the ship arrived, and for two days previous to that time were on short commons. The vessel left on the 7th Nov. for Roebuck Bay, and returned to Port Walcott on the 27th, after a passage of 7 days, and with the loss of only 10 sheep. She again sailed on her final expedition on the 14th December. On the 17th November Mr. Tays, who had been pearl-shell fishing off Mount Blaze, came into the Government camp and reported that as he was making his way from Port Hedland, his boat was stove npon a sand-bank off the mouth of the Sherlock, and he and the man with him were nearly drowned, having been six hours in the water. The boat was secured the next day, and they walked to Mr. Anderson's station — a distance of 20 miles. Mr. Tays stated that he had collected nine tons of very good pearl-shells. The following Despatch, giving the latest intelligence from Nickol Bay, the DeGrey, and Roebuck Bay, has been received by the Government from Mr. Broadhurst, Acting Government Resident at Roebourne during Mr. R. J. Sholl'e absence : — Government Resident's Office, Roebourne, 29tb Nov., 1866. Sib. — The Clarence Packet arrived here on

the 20th inst., having made a quick passage of seven days from Fremantle. Since the departure of that vessel last month, I received intimation that the natives (a tribe called ' Kirkirdies') had been killing sheep be longing to the Portland Squatting Company. Warrants were issued, and the police sent to apprehend the natives, being accompanied by two or three of Messrs. Anderson & Co.'s party. They secured two natives, one having been previously captured by two of the settlers, and the three were brought to the Government Camp. Two being found guilty of the charge preferred against them, were sentenced to six months' imprison ment with hard labonr ; the other one was dismissed, as there was not sufficient evidence to warrant bis commitment. Having no building here in which to confine prisoners, a small tent was erected, and the natives secured with chains to one of the stable-posts. After being in cap tivity about three weeks, the prisoners shortly after dark on the 8th inst., managed to pick the handcuffs with which the chains were locked, and make their escape. Early on the following morning P.C. Jones and native assistant Peter were seDt in pursuit of them, bnt returned in the course of a few days, after an unsuccessful search. They were again dispatched on the 29th instant, and have not yet returned. On the 16th nit. Mr. Hoolej started for the Lower Fortescne, en route to Champion Bay. He was accompanied by one of the settlers and a native of Swan Hirer. Mr. Nairn has been to the DeGrey and back. He reports the stock on his station to be looking

well, but the country was much dryer than about Tien Tain Harbor. Mr. Tays, a settler who has been pearl fishing along the coast to the eastward of the DeGrey, returned on the 16th inst. His boat had been stove upon a sand-bank off the mouth of the Sherlock, and be, together with a man who was with him, nearly lost their lives, being for several hours in the water. Eventually they reached the Pyramid Station, where Mr. Tays obtained a horse and rode in here. He informs mo that he has collected about 9 tons of pearl shells, which, being of superior quality, he estimates to be worth £100 per ton. The New Perseverance arrived here on the 4th instant with the first instalment of stock from Roebuck Bay. The vessel had a most unsuc cessful trip, being nearly a fortnight on the passage, and experiencing1 calms and light -riuds the whole time. The sheep had no food for four days before their arrival in Butcher Inlet. About 150 were lost upon the passage and the remainder landed in a miserable condition. The vessel started again upon the 7th for another car^o ol' stock, and arrived a second time in Butcher Inlet on the 27th inst., having made a better passage than before, and with a loss of only ten sheep. I am sorry to have to report an accident, which might have been more serious, happening to one of the Government mechanics, which necessitated hi& being forwarded to Perth by this opportunity, William Byfield (the Government blacksmith) was discharging a fowling piece upon the 31st Oct., when one of the barrels bursting, his hand was much mutilated. Since that date he bas been unable to perform work, and though the hand is getting better, it will be a long time before he will again harp the use of it. We have had no more rain, and the country is again beginning to look dry. The stock still keep in splendid condition. Accordiug to returns collected this month, the cumber of sheep in the district was found to amount to 20,562 j of these 1,290 are computed to be available for consump tion during the ensuing year. Of cattle there are 215; 44 of these being fit for the butcher. Horses, 193 ; of this class of stock I may state that nearly every mare in the district bas a fual at foot. Our population numbers 108. With regard to public works, I have to report that the roof of the offices bas been weatiier boarded, tbe mason being now employed plastering the inside walls of the same. The carpenter is making linings, &c., for the doors and windows. The wooden store, received from Perth, has been partially erected, and, as soon as the offices are finished, it will be completed. Several loads of shells have been procured from Nickol Bay, which being burnt, have given us a sufficient quantity of lime tor plastering tbe offices. Ah exploring parly, consisting of 3Icssrs. Yi

veasb, Harper, and a natare, started npon the 3rd inst., for the Upper Fortescne. They have not yet returned. I have the honor to be, Sir, Your most obedient servant, CHARLES E. BROADHOBST, Acting Government Resident. Tbe Hon. the Colonial Secretary, &c., Sic, &c.f Perth. Mr. W. S. HaU, Manager for the Roe buck Bay Company, accompanied by Messrs. McConrt and Toovey, had made an excursion to Bnlla Bulla — the place where the unfortunate explorers, Messrs. Panter, Harding, and Goldwyer, met their terrible death. Mr. Hall says— ♦? The little tree under which their remains were found, has PUG cut on it, and around it we saw a few pieces of pipes, remnants of clothes, and three small fragments of A their bones. These 1 buried. I am certain the explorers had no watch set, and did not anticipate an st&ux from tbe natives the night of the murder, or they would not have camped so very close to a dense thicket, and it would b&ve been little trouble to more down the large plain, at tbe upper end of which they were camped, and by that means evade the blacks. I think the fitzroy will torn out a fine district, and very superior to Roebuck Bay for ships, &c, if it is sot too hot.'