Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

2 corrections, most recently by KerryRaymond - Show corrections


It is with feelings of regret we have to announce the death of Mr. Francis Hodgson Nixon, editor and managing partner of the Daily Northern Argus. This event took   place under circumstances of a peculiarly dis- tressing character. For some time past the deceased has suffered from insomnia, produced

from overwork in his profession as a journalist, and this seems to have led to his suddenly putting an end to his life. He committed suicide on Monday afternoon about four o'clock, by blowing out his brains with a pistol. After transacting some business in town in the afternoon he hired a cab, and drove to the vicinity of Mr. W. Pattison's works, near Alligator Creek. He instructed the cabman to wait on the Rockhampton side of the bridge across the creek. Shortly after a man on the bridge heard a shot fired, and informed Mr. J. Hyland, manager of the works, who at once went to the spot. He there found Mr. Nixon lying shot through the temple with a Colt's Derringer. The unfortu- nate gentleman was reclining against a tree, and died about five minutes after Mr. Hyland reached him. Information was sent to town, and Drs. Callaghan and Thurston and the police arrived in a short time. Mr. Nixon's remains were afterwards removed to his residence in Quay-street. The deceased leaves a widow and a family of ten children, for whom general sympathy is felt. The deceased gentleman was a son of Captain Nixon, R.N., and received a liberal education in England. He came to Victoria in the year 1856, and was engaged as an Architect, having duly accredited certificates, in superintending the erection of Government buildings in the Ovens — Beechwortb district. When popula- tion settled in that goldfield he was instru-

mental in starting the Ovens and Murray Advertiser which he edited for some time. He then acted as secretary to the Ben- digo waterworks and subsequently edited the Hamilton Spectator. He was at one time associated with the well known Mr. G. C. Levey in the conduct of the Mel- bourne Morning Herald. More recently he edited the Wagga Wagga Advertiser and then began his journalistic career in the northern press. About four years ago he joined the Northern Argus and eventually became   editor and one of the proprietors. Though he had not been trained to the pro- fession of journalism Mr. Nixon had literary taste and culture, intelligence and enthusiasm, which are eminent qualifications for its pur= suit. He had a splendid memory, and was an excellent reporter. The manner in which he reproduced the thoughts and words of speakers could only be surpassed by first-rate short- hand writers He was well read in standard literature, and on all the great political ques- tions of the day. His style of composition

was easy and graceful, indicative of a powerful mind. Though we had occasion to differ from him on many subjects our antagonism never became of that personal character which is too common among colonial jour- nalists. He was earnest and anxious in his advocacy of any cause which he took up, and in his long connection with the press must have exercised considerable influence on the communities in which he worked. The an- nouncement of his sudden death will be re- ceived with painful feelings by pressmen in all parts of the country. The funeral of Mr. F. H. Nixon took place on Tuesday, and was attended by his friends and a number of our principal citizens, who testified to the respect they had for him by following his remains to the cemetery. The funeral service was read by the Rev. A. C. Yorke in an impressive manner.

We observe that at the great liberal banquet at Ipswich last week with the toast of ?* The Visitors ' was associated the name of Mr. W. £. Higson, M.L.A.. who replied.