Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

8 corrections, most recently by Elysian.K - Show corrections


His Excellency the Governor, Lady Gal- way, Lieutenant d'Erlanger, A.D.C., and Mr. Legh Winser, Private Secretary, who are at present saying a visit to the Gover-

nor-General in Melbourne, will return to Adelaide on Tuesday morning. The Governor will open a Red Cross and mili- tary exhibition and fair at the Jubilee Ex- hibition Building on Thursday afternoon.

Miss d'Erlanger, daughter of Lady Gal- way, who has been seriously ill, was much better on Saturday and is fast regaining strength.

The Prime Minister left Melbourne on Saturday for Brisbane, where he will ad- dress a meeting in connection with the re- ferendum on Wednesday. He will return to Melbourne on Saturday and will speak at Ballarat on Monday, Hobart on October 12, and Launceston on October 13. Mr.   Hughes has temporarily taken over the   portfolio of Trade and Customs, recently vacated by Mr. Tudor.

The Bishop of Willochra (Right Rev. Dr. Gilbert White) left by the express on Saturday for Sydney to attend the General Synod of the Anglican Church, which is to be opened in that city on October 10.

Mr. J. Cole, inspector of locomotive ac- counts at the Islington works, underwent an operation at "Parkwynd" Private Hos- pital on Saturday. The operation, which was performed by Drs. A. Magarey and W. Robertson, was successful, and the patient expects to be able to resume his duties in

about four weeks' time.

By the death, in Melbourne, on Satur-   day morning, of Mr. Charles Moore, Ade- laide has lost one who, though latterly not resident here, was still one of its chief business men. The deceased was 58 years of age and has left a widow and a family of seven—four sons and three daughters, the eldest of whom, Mr. Charles Moore, is now in camp in Victoria, having en- listed for the defence of his country. Up to within a few years ago Mr. Moore resided in Adelaide, where he personally superintended the well-known business in Gouger-street, which formed the nucleus  

of a number of similar establishments throughout Australia, and which latterly has been superseded by the palatial pre- mises fronting Victoria-square. Some time ago he removed to Melbourne, and it was at his residence, Toorak, that he died after an illness of eight days. The late Mr.   Moore was essentially a self-made man, but it can be said with truth that good fortune never spoiled him. As he told his auditors at the opening ceremony of the Victoria- square premises on August 29, he was born poor. An insignificant country town in

the north of Ireland was his birthplace, but even at an early age his vision soared

The Late Mr. Charles Moore.  

above the horizon of bog and fen that   formed the ultimate prospect of most of his neighbors, and in 1878, when twenty years old, he made his first trip abroad,

and visited the Paris Exhibition. The noble and palatial buildings of the French capital surprised and impressed  

him, and he went back home to Ireland resolved to do something for himself. A period of sheer hard work, early and late, followed, but the determination to succeed, backed up by ability, enabled him to win through, and he got out of the rut in which he might otherwise have remained. Coming to Adelaide 35 years ago, a stranger, he first obtained employment with the firm of John Martin & Co., and from there transferred after a short time to the warehouse of Matthew Goode and Co. Subsequently he set up in business for himself in Gouger-street, and from humble beginnings gradually built up an establish- ment that is now fittingly housed in the fine emporium in Victoria-square. For many years this area of the city was de- rided from a business standpoint, but the Central Traders' Association, in which the late Mr Moore was a prime mover, has demonstrated by its enterprise how fal- lacious was this view. The deceased took no part in public affairs, but he was an ideal employer, and a man much loved by all who knew him. In a quiet and un- ostentatious way he did a lot of valuable philanthropic work, and there will be many not least among whom are the staff at the Victoria-square premises, who will regret his death.

The Governor-General has approved of   the following appointments being made to the Australian Imperial Force:—Army Medical Corps—To be captains—Geoffrey Howard Barham Black, Nigel Basil Gresley Abbott, Graham Stuart Shipway, and

Clive Britten Burden.

Mr. W. H. Rebbeck, who died at Hyde Park on Saturday, was born on the ship Blundel during a 16-weeks' voyage from   London. He was eight weeks old when the vessel reached Port Adelaide in Sep- tember, 1856, and his boyhood days were spent in Kapunda. He was for some years in the employ of Messrs. James Marshall and Co, Rundle-street, Adelaide, and he also represented that firm at Broken Hill. While in Adelaide he was an active mem-

ber of Trinity Literary Society, and a fre- quent debater at the union competitions. Later he went to Coolgardie, and was one of the pioneers of Kalgoorlie, where he engaged in business as a land and estate agent. While there he held the position of president of the A.N.A., and was also speaker of the Model Parliament. He was a keen debater, and an ardent lecturer on single tax and effective voting. During a visit to England seven years ago he had a severe attack of heart trouble, which left him in weak health. For the last four years he had resided at Hyde Park. Mr. C. G. Rebbeck, of Gawler, and Mr. E. E. Rebbeck, of Unley, are brothers.

The Mercantile Trade Protection Asso- ciation of South Australia reports that pro- bate has been granted in respect of the following wills:—Thomas Peters Axford, Jamestown, £5,400; Henry John Driscoll, Wayville West, £1,100: Charles Edwin Hall, Kingston, £3,650; Samuel James Har- vey, Rose Park, £2,500; Thomas Kerin,   Mount Gambier, £13,000; Patrick Maley, Walkerville, £1,250; Dougal Morrison, Wil- lunga, £3,840; Elizabeth Naylor, Kent Town, £1,010; Thomas Patrick O'Grady, Fullarton, £1,750; William David Watkins, Adelaide, £14,523; Carl Heinrich Wiener, Unley, £2,460; Johann Friedrich C. Mar- schall, Overland Corner, £4,000.

The death occurred of Mrs. Agnes Bin- nie Jauncey, of Woodlyn-avenue, Hyde Park, on Friday night, after a short ill- ness. She was of a generous disposition, and her loss will be mourned by the poor and afflicted. She was a member of the Methodist Church, and for many years a prominent W.C.T.U. worker. Her hus- band, the late Mr. George Jauncey, died some years ago, and four sons, Messrs. Eric (America), Cecil, Keith, and Leslie Jaun- cey (Hyde Park), are left.

It is understood in legal circles that Mr. N. A. Webb will this week be appointed a stipendiary magistrate to fill the vacancy at Port Pirie, caused by the promotion of Mr. S. J. Mitchell, S.M., to the position of police magistrate in Adelaide.

The president of the Commercial Travel- lers' and Warehousemen's Association (Mr. Thomas Kean) has enlisted, and will go into camp in a few days. At a special meeting of the association on Saturday evening Mr. Kean was congratulated on his


Mr. Lionel Curtis, of London, the founder of the Round Table movement and author of "The Problem of the Commonwealth," who is to be entertained at luncheon to-day by the Commonwealth Club, and is to lec- ture on "The Price of Peace" in the Vic- toria Hall to-morrow evening, arrived in Adelaide from Melbourne on Sunday morn- ing.    

At Friday's meeting of the council of the Adelaide Chamber of Commerce, the pre- sident (Mr. F. W. Vasey) referred to the death of Mr. William Bickford, in respect for whose memory, he said, the last meet- ing of the council had been adjourned.   The late Mr. Bickford was a very old mem- ber of the chambers and was its president


in 1894. A letter of sympathy had been forwarded on behalf of the chamber to Mrs. Bickford. The president said he also

desired to refer to the loss sustained by their old friend and ex-president (Mr. Arnold E. Davey), whose son had been  

killed on active service. Mr. George Jury,   who was a member of the chamber, al-   though not of the council, had sustained a similar loss. These mournful happen-

ings brought home to one the terrible sac- rifices necessitated by this frightful war, but strengthened the nation's determina- tion to see it through to the end. On the motion of the president, seconded by Mr. E. W. van Senden, it was decided to send letters of sympathy to Messrs. Davey and


The president of the Adelaide Chamber

of Commerce (Mr. F. W. Vasey) told the members of the council at their meeting

on Friday that Mr. H. Y. Braddon, of   Sydney, would be the guest of the cham- ber on the occasion of the forthcoming

half-yearly meeting, and would deliver an address.              

Pastor E. Dorsch, a prominent Lutheran minister, died on Friday at his residence,

Clifton-street, Prospect, where he had been   living in retirement. Pastor Dorsch ar-   rived in Sooth Australia in 1881 and after being associated with the Appila-Yarowie

and Callington churches he came to the city in 1885 and became pastor of the Flin- ders-street church. He occupied the pul-

pit in the city for about 12 years, and   gained a high reputation as a preacher   during that period. Ill-health made it necessary for him to retire, and although he resumed work again on returning from a trip to America he soon had to retire permanently. He did not relinquish all his   duties, however, as he gave attention to   city mission activities, and the visiting of

hospitals and charitable institutions. A widow and eight children survive Pastor

Dorsch, who was 57 years of age.