Obituary. MR. WALTER BIRMINGHAM EDGAR. A notable figure and pioneer of the Harrow district, in the person of Mr. Walter Birmingham Edgar, died at his home in Portland on Wednes- day, after an illness extending over some months. Born at the old home station, Pine Hills, on March 23rd, 1856, he spent most of his life, with the exception of the last four years, there. His education began at Portland, where he attended for a time what became known as Brown- ing's school. Moving from there to the Hamilton College, as a student and an athlete, he soon distinguished himself, two coveted honors coming his way, dux of the college and ath- letic champion. Later he passed to the Melbourne University, where he studied and qualified as a civil en- gineer. This calling he did not fol- low up, as he returned to his father's estate and assisted in the manage- ment for some years. On July 12, 1882, he married Jessie, youngest daughter of the late Mr. William Swan, of Konongwootong, who pre- deceased him 15 years ago. In 1886 he took over the Longlands estate, and remained there till 1904, when he returned to Pine Hills and made his home there until he disposed of it to Messrs. Ellis Bros some five years ago. Accompanied by his daughter, he went abroad and toured England, Scotland, Norway and Sweden. Retiring, he took up his residence at Portland and lived quietly with his widowed daughter, Mrs. Ormond White. During his long association with the Harrow district he took an active part in all affairs concerning the welfare of the community. He was for a number of years a mem- ber of the Harrow Shire Council, a justice of the peace and coroner for the district. In sporting activities, particularly cricket, his name will be long remembered, as he was a mem- ber of the invincible team that won the coveted Murray Challenge Cup, and on the old Harrow ground, or wherever the teams met, he gave some fine displays with bat and ball, and had as contemporaries the great Mallagh (aboriginal), Arthur Ben- son, Durack, and his brother, J. T. Edgar, who led the team. In later years he took up golf, and became a capable exponent of the game. The late Mr. Edgar did much pion- eering in the Portland district. He owned "Blairmona," at South Port- land, which is now a most improved property, and the long stretch of heath country on each side of the road to the cemetery has recently been cleared and ploughed. The work, carried out by Mr. Allan Tay- lor, was a revelation in clearing, and the operations, whilst in progress, were watched with interest by many visitors on the land. This property had been in the Edgar family for the past 80 or 90 years, having been selected by the late Mr. W. B. Ed- gar's father in the very early days. The funeral, which left his late residence on Friday, was largely attended by a representa- tive gathering, which in- cluded mourners from Harrow and district, and also Melbourne. The Rev. J. H. Bates, who conducted the funeral rites, made eulogistic refer- ence to the magnanimous qualities of the deceased, whom he classed as one of nature's gentlemen. The chief mourner at the graveside was his son, Oliver Edgar, of Necrinyerie, Har- row ; his daughters, Irene Victoria (Mrs. Ormond White, of Portland) ; and Jessie Dorothy (Mrs. D. K. Cal- vert), of Spring Valley, Harrow; William, Dene and Ian, nephews; Mr. J. C. Fitzgerald, Portland, and Mr. H. J. Grainger, of Melbourne. The only surviving members of the old Pine Hills family now are Mr. J. T. Edgar, Melbourne, and Miss T. Edgar, Babba Mia, Harrow. Mem- bers of old Western District families in Messrs. E. and L. Learmonth, W. B. Crossley, M. Bree, H. Youngman and Dene Edgar, carried deceased to his last resting place. Many beautiful wreaths were sent by mourners.