The District Mourns. --x LOSS OF A GREAT CITIZEN. (Reprinted by Special Request.) The demise of Mr. Arthur Harold Sutton removes from our midst one who, in every sense of the word, was a great citizen. His death, the cir- cumstances of which were briefly re- corded last issue, occasioned wide felt sorrow, and the community was deeply shocked when the sad news became known. "Calamitous " was the general expression of those who knew his worth-and there were few who were not aware 'of his outstand-. ing characteristics. Known inti- mately by every section of the com- munity, his passing away in the prime of manhood--he had just reached his 53rd year-was considered a tra- gedy, and so familiar was he with all sections, that Portland will not seem the same Portland without his genial personality. Not only were his attributes recognised in the im- mediate township, but throughout the whole Western District his name was one which' few were not acquainted with. His father before him-the late Mr. Francis Sutton-was held in the highest esteem by all with whom he came in contact, and his mother was that type of person who could genu- inely be termed "the perfect lady." Both experienced the rigors of pioneering life in the Strath- downie district, where the subject of this obituary was born. He grew up in family surroundings con- ducive to the best type of man hood, which subsequently he dis- played to the benefit of those with whom he became associated in after life. At the age of 31 he married Miss Ethel Maude Williams, of Warr- nambool, at which time he was re presentative at Heywood for Messrs. P. Learmonth and Co., for whom he rendered invaluable service, his ex- ceptional knowledge of stock and general popularity gaining many clients for this well-known firm. At this juncture he, in partnership with Mr. Keith Nicholson, acquired the od established general merchant's business of W. P. Anderson and Co., under whose name the partners worked until war broke out, when the late Mr. Sutton answered the call and enlisted in the 8th Light Horse, seeing service in Egypt and Palestine. On his return, he took over Mr. Nicholson's interests in the firm, and from then on the business was conducted under his own name. He proceeded, with the help of a most efficient staff, to build up a connection which gradually ex- tended until the name of A. H. Sut- ton became a household one. Con- centrating on the wool export trade, he left no stone unturned in exploit- ing every channel of business, with the result that it was not long be fore he convinced growers of the ad- vantages of sending their wool over- seas, and each year shipments in- creased appreciably. His efforts were not self-centred, however, and he thought as much of the town's in- terests in this connection as he did of his own, often declaring that it was his sole desire to see the port devel- oped to the extent which its geo- graphical position deserved. Bar- ley shipments from the South-East were also arranged by this enterpris- ing firm, and no trouble was spared in meeting the convenience of ship- pers. In the wool export trade he acted in conjunction with Messrs. Dalgety and Co., and his "dumping" plant was the means of providing much employment locally. As re- gards matters of a public nature the late gentleman was associated with practically every institution, and no appeal for assistance in any direc- tion was refused. His charitable- ness knew no bounds, and many in stances could be cited showing the big-heartedness of a really big man. He always evinced a keen interest in municipal affairs, and in Decem- ber, 1916, was elected as a member of the Borough Council. The fol- lowing May he received leave of ab- senco to enlist. His time expired in 1911, and he was re-elected in October, 1923, filling the vacancy caused by the retirement of Cr. Righetti. In October, 1923, he was again re-elected, but at the an- nual elections in 1928 met defeat. The result, however, was not a true criterion of the vote, as a "ticket system" was worked, and though he received a collective maijority, he failed to be returned. However, he avenged this defeat with his charac- teristic lighting spirit in 1931, when he was retuned by a handsome ma- jority. Three years later, finding the pressure of private business too great, he retired, leaving behind him a record which stood to his everlast- ing credit. During his term as councillor he occupied the Mayoral chair, and filled the position with great ability and dignity. He was also chairman of the Water Trust for two years, an honor which was well deserved, as he did much toward bringing to fruition the long-felt want of an efficient water supply in Portland. Other public institu- tions to receive his whole-hearted support were the P. and A. Society, race and football clubs, being presi- dlent of the two latter on more than one occasion. The former owed much to his energy and organising ability, and the great amount of work done as a steward in the horse section could not be over-estimated. As president of the Portland Club he was a host in himself, and he spared no' effort in entertaining visit- iors who were guests at the Club. By his geniality in his presi- dential capacity he was responsible in making many strangers feel at home, and more than one instance can be cited in which visitors to the town for the first time, as at result of his hospitality, expressed their inten- tlin of returning when opportunity occurred. The band also was the better for his interest and zeal, and it is fitting to mention that he was instrumental in raising a large portion of the £400 received as a result of a King Car- nival, he being the successful "'King." The late Mr. Sutton also took a great interest in 'politics, and was to the fore when election time drew near. He was president of the local branch of the National Federation, and at one time was promised the selection for Port Fairy-Glenelg, but after conducting a short campaign, ar- rived at the conclusion that time work ' entailed would interfere too much with his private affairs, and so he withdrew. The late gentleman was a most ac- complished horseman, and in his younger days gained a wide reputa- tion in show ring jumping. He owned and rode several outstanding hunters, one of which, Negative, he was particularly proud. As a boy he piloted four winners at the old Emu Flats racecourse, lind for hi: pl'ro\VeS; received ii pinir of nilictkh pliated splrn I li wavs an excel lent Judge of hIIrsus, iiand on ImIn:ly occamuonis aHjudicited nt vuurIiuuils
shows, a great compliment being paid him by the \Varracknabeal Society in inviting hint to judge at that place. Few better Judges of cattle were known locally, and being reared am ongst stock, he knew practically every point associated with them. 'I he deceased leaves a wife and only son, Reg, to whom the pro foundest sympathy is expressed in their sad hour. lie was one of a large family of six daughters and two son", he bqing the fourth oldest. The members are--Jin, Willaura.; T'r esa (Mrs. F. Sutton), Mt. Isa (Qucensand) ; Eva (Mrs. E. C. Tap in), Curramulka (S.A.) ; Bessie (Mrs. W. Dickman), IHigh Street, Grange (S.A.) ; Ettic (Mrs. F. Sleeman), Sherwell Road, Rose ville (N.S.W.) ; Lydia (Mrs. G. Stanley), Harrow; and May (Mrs. R. J. Hedditch (West.Portland). To them also goes out widespread sor row. In a final word It is incumbent on us to pay our tribute to the memory of a deeply revered friend who, by his actions, proved his worth in every walk of life. He lived not for himself, but for his fellow-men, and perhaps would have secured more of these worldy gains had he been more selfishly disposed. But his thoughts were for others, and none could say that Harold Sutton, now gone to his deserved rest, was any thing but the type-of gentleman with which this world is far too sparsely endowed. Deeds, not empty words, were what he practised, and there are scores who can testify to his charity and liberality when any cases of distress were brought under his notice. Now, this life's labor over, he sleeps beside his devoted parents, duty nobly done, leaving a name behind which will be for ever remembered and cherished. The funeral on Sunday was the largest seen in Portland as far back as most old residents can remember. Over 100 cars followed the remains to the South cemetery, and it is es timated that fully 500 mourners, re presentative of all parts of the West ern District, gathered at the grave side. The beautiful floral tributes were so numerous that a special car was necessary for their conveyance. The collin was taken to St. Ste, phen's Church on Sunday afternoon, and anl impressive service was con ducted by Rev. Canon Coupe in the presence of a large gathering of friends. Leaving the church grounds the hearse slowly proceeded throueh a line of returned soldiers on each side of the pathway, and on reaching the main thoroughfare the cortege formed up and moved down Julia street, returned men to the number of about 100 preceding the hearse in ordered file. At the Star Theatre they entered their cars, and on reaching the cemetery lined each side of the entrance. The casket, which was draped with the Union Jack, was borne by members of the staff and intimate friends of the deceased. and at the graveside, Rev. Cainon Coupe renad the burial service. Pastor Cross, of thd Baptist Church. r. returned mnan, spoke eloquently on behalf of his comrades, extolling the late gentleman's virtues and the nec rifice made on his country's behalf "They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary themn nor the years condemn ; At the setting of the sun, and in the morning, We shall remember them." After two minutes' reverent sil ence, with his returned comrades round the open grave with bowed heads, Bugler J. Kean feelingly sounded the "Lust Post," and as the final solemn notes conveyed the tri umphant message of "Come Home I Con?le Hlonlo " there was not one in that hushed gathering who did not feel that from their midst had passed a mlan whose life amonm'st them hadl becn one of service and anl inspira tion to those left behind Truly Portland's last tribute was an elo quent one to a man who had done s,, much to make this life a better and hap',ier one for those with whom lie had contact.