His Excellency the Governor, attended by the Hon. G. J. Mulholland (private sec- retary) and Captain Hopwood, A.D.C., was presant at the service held in Christ Church on Saturday morning in connection with the funeral of Lady Way. Mr. Mulhol- land represented Sir Henry Galway at the
The Hon. A. H. Peake (Treasurer) re- turned on Sunday from Melbourne, where he had taken part in the Treasurers' Con- ference. Messrs. T. Gill, I.S.O. (the Under-Treasurer), and Graham Stewart (Engineer-in-Chief) returned by the same
Mr. Mortimer Giles, the Registrar-Gene- ral of Deeds, who recently underwent an operation on account of a malignant growth, died in the North Adelaide Pri- vate Hospital on Sunday morning. Mr. Giles was one of the oldest Civil ser- vants in the State, having joined the ser- vice exactly 50 years ago. The deceased was in his 66th. year. He was the youngest son of the late Mr. William Giles, who was the first manager for the South Australian Company, and who re- sided for many years at Burnside. The only surviving son of the latter is Mr. Clement Giles, a former member of the House of Assembly, who is now the Lon- don representative of the South Aus- tralian Farmers' Co-operative Union. The deceased was educated at Mr. J. L. Young's school, in Adelaide, and imme- -ately afterwards he joined the Survey Department. That was in 1864. Among Mr. Giles' closest companions in the de- partment at that time was Mr. C. J. Sanders, the well-known Adelaide sur- veyor, who entered the Survey Depart- ment two years before the deceased, and was connected with it for 20 years. The present Surveyor-General (Mr. E. M. Smith) was also a contemporary in the office, and so was the late Surveyor-Gene- ral (Mr. W. Strawbridge), who died about three years ago. Messrs. Giles and San- ders accompanied the late Mr. G. W. Goyder, who was Surveyor-General in the sixties, on a surveying trip in the South East, in connection with a drainage scheme. Mr. Clement Giles was then managing the Avenue station, in the Millicent district. The deceased became a draughtsman in 1875, and in the follow- ing year was transferred to the Lands Titles Office. He was appointed to be chief draughtsman in 1890, and Deputy Registrar-General of Deeds in 1901. His appointment to the position of Registrar-General of Deeds, Registrar of Building Societies, Commissioner of Trade Marks, and Registrar of Copyrights, on the resignation of the late Mr. F. F. Turner, S.M., was made on July 1, 1904. On that occasion Mr. Giles was waited on by the licensed surveyors practising in Adelaide. They congratulated him on his appoint- ment, made reference to his kindly and courteous bearing towards them in the office he was vacating as chief draughtsman, and expressed confidence that he would creditably carry out the responsible duties of his higher office. Mr. Giles married a daughter of the late Mr. Justice Andrews, and she died some years ago. He was fond of healthy sport, and devoted a good deal of his spare time to golf, tennis, and yachting. In his younger days he was a fair athlete, and an enthusiastic cricketer, having been associated with the old North Adelaide Cricket Club and other clubs. His sons are Messrs. Richard and Hubert Giles (who are farmers in the Strathalbyn dis- trict), and Messrs. Ackland and Mortimer Giles, (solicitors, of Adelaide). There are two daughters, Mesdames W. Law Smith, of Adelaide, and S. Morres, of Langhorne's
Our Mount Gambier correspondent tele- graphed last night:—The Commissioner of Crown Lands (Hon. F. W. Young), the Surveyor-General (Mr. E. M. Smith), and Mr. G. Bodey arrived from Adelaide last night. To-morrow they will visit the Kon- goorong and Moorak settlements, and de- putations will wait on the Minister with respect to matters concerning the settlers' interests. In the evening deputations from the town council and Gambier West council will wait on the Commissioner. On Tues- day the Commissioner and party will join the Parliamentary party on a flying trip over the proposed railway route between Millicent and Keith.
The Rev. H. Howard, who is spending a holiday in the eastern States, returned to Adelaide on Saturday morning to at- tend the funeral of Lady Way, but hav- ing an engagement to take services in Ballarat on Sunday he went back to Vic- toria by the evening express.
Our Wellington (New Zealand) corre- spondent telegraphed on Sunday:—Arch- bishop Redwood left by the steamer Maun- ganui on Friday for Sydney, en route to Europe. He will attend the Eucharistic Congress at Lourdes in July, and then go to Rome and present to the Pope the de- cennial report on the State archdiocese.
Dr. V. Ramsay Smith, a son of the City Coroner, is a passenger to Sydney by the R.M.S. Otway. He has come to Australia to fill a position as one of the surgeons on board H.M.A.S. Australia.
The Mayor of Port Adelaide (Mr. J. H. Clouston) and the Port Adelaide Council's city surveyor (Mr. W. W. Tapp) left Port Adelaide on Saturday evening by the stea- mer Innamincka on "the gulf trip."
Dr. Albert A. Snowden, Captain D. M. Parry, and Mr. John Kirby, jun., who are on a visit to Australia as a Commission for the National Association of Manufacturers of America, left Adelaide for Melbourne on Saturday. Before leaving Dr. Snowden ex- pressed delight with the hospitality he had received in Adelaide, a city he regarded as one of the most beautiful he had yet visited.
Professor Watson, of the Adelaide Uni- versity, was a passenger by the Melbourne express which left Adelaide on Saturday.
Dr. H. Kenneth Fry, of Norwood, has been appointed an honorary assistant medi- cal officer of the Queen's Home, Rose Park.
The Grand Master of South Australia, I.O.O.F. (Bro. E. Bendall) and Mrs. Ben- dall wiil give a reception at Bricknell's Cafe this evening in honor of the Grand Sire and representatives of the Grand Lodge of Australasia, who meet in session in Ade- laide this week.
Probate has been granted in respect of the following wills:—John Dunstan, Water- fall Gully, £11,907; Robert Dunn, Rose Park, £2,332; Arthur Graham, Wayville, £7,950.
The Hon. H. S. Sinclair, M.H.R., and Mr. Laird Smith. M.H.R., were passengers to Adelaide by the express from Melbourne on Sunday.
Mr. L. R. Waterhouse, a traveller for the firm of Messrs. G. P. Harris, Scarfe, and Co., died on Saturday night. He was at business as usual on Friday, and when he retired for the night he was apparently in good health. On Saturday morning he had a seizure, and despite skilful medical treatment he succumbed the same day. The late Mr. Waterhouse, who was 55 years of age, was born at Warrnambool, Victoria, and was educated at Wesley College, Mel- bourne. He came to South Australia at an early age, and after being with the firm of Messrs. Jones, Scott & Sons for a short time he joined Messrs. Harris, Scarfe, and Co., in whose service he remained the rest of his life. He was an honored member of the staff for over 30 years, and for the greater part of that time travelled on Yorke Peninsula. For the past seven years he had lived with his brother, Mr. H. W. Waterhouse, in Childers-street, North Ade- laide. About a year ago, on the occasion of a trip to England, he received a tangible token of the esteem in which he was held by the members and employés of the firm. On his return five months ago he resumed his journeys to the Peninsula. The un- expected loss of Mr. Waterhouse will be deeply felt by those with whom he came into contact, for his reliability, hard work, and good nature made him a favorite with all. He was one of the oldest members of the Commercial Travellers' Association, in which he took great interest. He was elected a member in September, 1880, and became a life member in January, 1908. Some years ago he took a great interest in Freemasonry, and was a Past Master and one of the founders of the Com- mercial Lodge. Mr. Waterhouse, who was unmarried, had recently become engaged.
The employes and customers of the firm of Daly & Co. assembled at the Franklin street mart on Friday afternoon to bid good-bye to Mr. P. M. Daly, who is sever- ing his connection with the firm. A case of pipes and an enlarged photograph of himself were handed to Mr. Daly, and the various speakers testified to that gentle- man's sterling characteristics both in busi- ness and private life.
Mr. and Mrs. H. T. Glover celebrated the golden anniversary of their wedding on Friday afternoon at their home at York- street, Kensington, where a large number of friends met to congratulate them. Mr. and Mrs. Glover were married at Old Edgbeston, near Birmingham, England, on May 15, 1864. by the Rev. T. Spooner. After their marriage they came to South Aus- tralia, and for the greater part of their sojourn here they have lived in the Kent
Town district, where tbey were well-known leaders in connection with the local Metho- dist denomination for a number of years. Subsequently they took up the Progressive Thought teaching when Dr. and Mrs. James Porter Mills, of Chicago, U.S.A., started the movement here about 20 years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Glover have a grown- up family of three sons and one daughter, also several grandchildren.
Officers and inter-State representatives who will take part in the twelfth triennial session of the Grand Lodge of Australasia of the Independent Order of Oddfellows arrived by the express from Melbourne on Sunday. The Grand Lodge officers are:— Messrs. S. A. E. B. Gilder (grand sire), B. B. Hoddinott (deputy grand sire), F. W. Wathen (grand treasurer), W. Reid (past grand sire), C. S. F. Glasgow (grand chap- lain), M. T. Dale (grand guardian), J. W. Walker (grand messenger), and G. T. Clarke (past grand sire). Tasmanian and Western Australian representatives are due to arrive to-day, and the grand secretary (Mr. J. C. Smith) will arrive to-morrow morning. The session, which previously met in Adelaide 12 years ago, will begin on Tuesday and extend over the greater por- tion of the week.