Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

No corrections yet

RECOLLECTIONS OFATOWN CLERK.

MR. E 0. GOODEN INTERVIEWED..

jlXR. E.' O. GOODEN must surely find the work of a town clerk, with all its varied interests and many sided responsibi lities second nature, since the position of Town Clerk of Kensington and Norwood has been 'in the. family' for more than 40 years.- The first town clerk was Mr. J. E. Moulden, who held the post for a quarter of a century. . He was followed by Messrs. B. Moulden and Mr. J. Letch ford. Mr. G. W. Gooden joined the service of the corporation in 1875, and be

MR. E. O. GOODEN, Town Clerk since 1905.

MR. E. O. GOODEN, Town Clerk since 1905.

came town, clerk in 1882, holding the posi tion until 1897, -thus completing 15 years as clerk and. 32 years in the service of the corporation. He was followed by^ his son, Mr. C. ? H. Gooden, who at first acted as assistant town clerk. The present town cleik was appointed assistant town clerk in 1905, and assumed the office ic January, 1905.- ? . . .;- . 'When did you come to the neighbour hood?' he was asked. 'I was born here,' ? he replied. ' -..??-? ?'I went to the Norwood Model School (as it was then called), won a oGvern ment exhibition at St. Peter's for four years, and two mir.or scholarships while there. :_ I lefc college in 1835 and joined the' Union Bank, serving eight years here and two years in Melbourne, resigning on appointment as Acting Town Clerk.' 'And the duties of town clerk comprise?' his questioner suggested. 'Oh, well, I sup pose practically everything in the way of carrying out the policy of 'the council.' According to Mr. Gooden. that same policy ? has been consistently ' progressive iii many directions. For instance, sauita tk-D work has alw.tys been kept well in the front in every way. Under the East Torrens County Board of Health, which embraces Kensington and Norwood, Burn side, Pay&eham aDd CampbeiltjWL and dcsls only with infectious disease? tie TTaiflflfl Ttllt*ea mma/ifnn -]--?_ £?_ -

lhe School ioi Mothers, which tor a while was granted free use of a room at the town hall for its Norwood branch, but npw^has its own cottage,- has Issn subsi dized at first to iiie amount of £O) a year ani;later. to iSO^drt'Tttrogfrittin ixtt -the value of the work to the - municipality. The municipality displayed interest in health matters irom the very- early days, and this pioneer spirit still - seems to. persists. Dr. T. Borthwick, M.D., F.R.SJ., has been Chairman of the local Board, of. Health since 1S85. In Memory. 1 /'The formation of a Memorial Planta tion on a wide strip down the middle oi Osmond terrace was started in 1919, when the then Mayor, Mr. N. Solomons, sent out an appeal for subscriptions — a pre-1 vious resolution to honour those who fell' in the war having been made in 1918, but, as collections except for war funds were at that time forbidden, nothing could be done. The sum raised was augmented by Sir Edwin Smith, who had, always taken an interest in the beautifying of the town. The. work of forming the plantation and reforming Osmond terrace was carried out so as to provide work for returned men, the corporation taking . advantage of ' the Commonwealth loan towards the employ ment of returned soldiers to raise £3,500. The memorial itself has just been com pleted, and will shortly be unveiled. It stands at the end of the plantation near est Norwood Parade. It is an obolisk of Harcourt granite, with wreaths and panels hr bronze. The names of the 183 who fell will be inscribed on the bronze panels.' 'What other plantations have you?'— 'There is the Sir Edwin avenue on Dequetteville terrace.' And, of course, there is the. Norwood Oval?' — 'Yes, and a very popular .oval it .js. Sir Edwin Smith did much to secure its possession to the corporation.' It is only natural that Mr. Gooden should take the most lively interest in all concerning the municipality. He has everything concerning it pretty well at his fingers' ends. In reply to a question about the social side of municipal work in XT* *.__?__£.__ __ J **?▼ ? i « ? ;j. *-/'\t_

well, I believe as a community we do pull well together. I have been told that our gatherings are generally cheerfully in formal and enjoyable. The Norwood T-eoplc certainly did work well topethor through the war, and not only were the Belgian Fund and Red Cross Funds well supported but a great deal oi direct work for hospitals was done, while our own branch of the District Trained Nursing Association received hearty support. The School for Mothers has taken on well here, as I said- before, and the apprecia tion of its work by the council is marked by substantial monetary support.' Facts and Figures.

; Valuable facts and figures which sum up the present position of Kensington and Norwood were supplied by Mr. Gooden. Kensington and Norwood were the first suburban townships to receive the boon of separate municipal Government. The corporation was established by proclama tion in The Government Gazette of July 7. 1853, over the name of the Hon. B. T. Franiss, Colonial Secretary. His Excel lency the then Governor (Sir Henry Fox Young) . extended to the villages of Ken sington, Norwood, and Marryatville the provisions of 'an ordinance to constitute a Municipal Corporation No. 11 of 1849,' and thereby constituted the inhabitants of the said villages a body corporate and politic by the names Mayor, Aldermen. Councillors, and Burgesses. The first council was composed of the Mayor (Mr. Charles Bonney), Aid. George Soward and Joseph Yates Ashton, and Crs. George Aldridge, Henry Whittle, Augustus G. Boddily, George Ernest Hamilton, George Birrell, and John Ross Smith. In 1856 Kent Town was included in the corporate town, by proclamation, Aid. F. B. Carlin and Cr. J. Skelton oeing added to the council. Between 1853 and 1861 the fol lowing were Aldermen: — Messrs. Bonney, Soward, Ashton, Carlin, Greenway, Perry, Gray, Holdsworth, and F. N. Scarfe. Under the Act of 1861 the elections for Aldermanic offices were abolshed, and it was 39 years before the practice was re sumed. In 1900 a vote of ratepayers was taken to decide whether the election of Aldermen should be undertaken under the new Act, which was agreed to, and at the ensuing election Messrs. R. Phillips, G. Dankel, A. Binks, and T. White were returned in the order named. Since then the following have also served as Alder men:— Messrs. J. H. Mattingly, W. Es sery. H. J. Hoiden, J. Hooper, W. G Auld, T. A. Buttery. W. S. Hanson, N. Solomons, and W. ,P. Hughes. The list of ex-Mayors is. as follows:— Charles Bonney (1853), F. B. Carlin (1858),

F. N. Scarfe (1860), T. Taylor (1861), D. | Fisher (1862), T. Taylor (1863), D. Fisher (1864), W. C. Buik (1865), E. T. Smith (1867), M. Kingsborough (1870), E. T. Smith (1871), H. Hashes (1873). S. D. Glyde (1855), D. Packham- (1878), Thomas : Caterer (1880), K. St. B. Miller (1882), J. Bennetts (1884), F. H. Wigg (1885), G. E. C. Stevens (1886), Thos. Gepp (1888), Jas. HiH(1890), Thos. White (1892), R. K. Threlfall (1895), Alfred Binks (1897), J. H. Mattingly (1899), W. H. Story (1901), H. J. Holden (1903), G. H. Prosser (1907), H. J. Holden (1912), E. H. Limbert (1916), N. Solomons (1918), P. Gannoni (1920), and the present Mayor is W. Essery (elected in 1922). There are at present, exclusive of those now in course of erection, 3,521 dwelling houses and 179 other buildings— a total of 3,700 buildings in Kensington and Nor wood. The total length of roads is 35 miles and 49 chain?, of which all are formed and made, with the exception of two miles and 46 chains, which are private streets not yet taken over by the corpo ration. : ! Advance in Values. The following figures are of , special inte rest as showing the advance in land values. The first assessment in 1854 was £13,051— say, a capital value of £250,000— and the rating vfas 1/ in the £1 yielding a total in rates of £602 ll/r The total receipts for that year were £1,442, and the expendi ture £1,351. The assessment for 1922-3 is £130,363, and the total rates 2/2 in the £1, yielding £14,122. The present capi tal value of the ratable property in the town is £2,607,260, and the value of the corporation freehold and other properties

is £42,000. The value of the roads with kerbs, footpaths, and so on, is about £200,000. The corporation owns and maintains the following reserves and plan tations:— Norwood Oval (7 acres), Sir Ed win Avenue Plantation (2 acres), Gooden Avenue Plantation and Osmond Terrace Plantation (3 acres). The aggregate area is a ? little over 12 acres. In the Osmond Terrace Plantation, ju't south.of the Parade, is the handsome War Memorial erected by the town, built ot Harcourt granite bearing th? names on bronze tablets of the 183 residents of the town who made tbe pnnremc sacrifice in the Great War, 1914-1919. The advance in the population as re corded in the census taken in each of th; years given is as follows:— 1855, 2,553; 1861, 3,388; 1871. 5,132: 1881. 10,087: 18»1. 11,747; 1901, 12568; 1911, 13j8T2; 1921 15.010. . The first town hall and council office? were built in 1859, and demolished in 1897 The present town hall and council offics were erected in 1882, and extensive addi-1

tions in 1014 made the pres -nt main linll one' of the finest suburban: town hal's in the Commonwealth. The found-Hon Stalin bears the following inscription: — 'This stone was laid by Thomas Caterer, J.P., Mayor of Kensington and Norwood, on the 28th September, 1882.' A supplementary ; stone bears the names of the members of the council and Town Clerk. On the foundation stone of the additions in 1914 appears: — 'This stone was laid by Mrs. J. H. Holden, Mayoress, on November 7t'i, 1914.' Continued on next page.

N O R WO© D TH E tirS&m. fi -Mmi~

tmm Continued from previous page.

SCHOOLS. . ' . ? 0 ' ? ? ? ' '?' 'I. OLPANDNEW. J£ENSINGTON and NORWOOD seem always to have been noted for educa tion. In 1860 the chief licensed school. in the neighborhood was that of Mr. Baigent, already mentioned in theSccount of Ken sington. Other licensed ? government schools were in charge of Mr. William Hill and Mesdames Gamble, Johns, Hall, and Vice and ' Miss Crooks. - For some yeara there were six government schools in. the district. In 1868 the total atten dance for all schools was 310:' In 1874 there were four schools and 255 scholars, but there were also ' 22 private schools, with an attendance of 878. „ Of course, Mr. T. Caterere^s schol must be remem bered. Mr. Baigent's school and others were dosed when the__ Norwood Model School .was opened. This was built on the corner of Clark's vine yard, at the ; corner- of Beulah -road and Osmond terrace. The first head master was Mr. John Thomas/ Smythe, ' G-.A., bjs.. ::? . -'. ..'??''?.??,. '.- .-;??. :?.? Norwood Infant School. '? There is no 'need to ask your way to Norwood Infant School. Just go along! that pleasant- highway, Osmond .terrace, j about 9 o'clock some, morning and crowds of little people hurrying- schoolwahla with none of the reluctance of Shakespeare's schoolboy,, will- show you the way to the largest infant school in' the State. J; A small orderly with a large broom earnestly sweeps up- sqme .almost invisible rubbish outside the door, while in the building teachers deftly arrange the really beauti ful flowers, brought, many of them, -by the children themselves to '?adorn -the bright, airy class-rooms, in which their school hours' are spent. To the decora tions in colour illustrating well-known stories, the teachers devote immense pains and real talent,, many of' the drawings evincing real artistic talent.' Pictures, ; flowers and an aquarium lend colour and . interest to each of the eight class-rooms, as well as the central hall, which is a' delightful feature of the school, which was ' built in 1910 to accommodate 500 scholars. ' Now that there are 700, there is naturally : a sense of 'pressure on space,' and the; hall is only barely large enough to accom modate them for the opening ceremonies of the day, which are worth seeing. As the classes file in, one notes the justice of I a remark from an English girl (one of} the 'exchanged teachers'), that the chil dren are 'well grown and wonderfully, clean.' There is wonderfully little noise. 'Remember,' says one well versed in child-nature, 'this lack of noise does not mean repression. We have trained the . children by exercises to quiet movement, and they do it naturally. We find that it j is not necessary to raise the voice in order ' to secure attention. Meanwhile the little people have formed up in close ranks (all but the Montessori babies). A chord or phrase of the piano is sufficient direction for the movements of ? these hundreds of little children. That instrument, by the way, is a gift from the Mother's Club, ber longing to the school, started by MisB Ed wards, when she was mistress, ' These clubs, started simply, for friendliness,' have taken practical results, and are still - more valuable for their effect on the whole ! school and the happy understanding be tween parents and teachers. No need to follow the routine of the morning, though it is fascinating to watch. Much misunderstanding might be saved if more pedple took the trouble to see for themselves just what is being done ! in this way. In the largest infant school) in the State, there is a special chance of I noting modern developments, and if. the: hushed movements of the children make . you for a moment think of repression ask a question or two, or show interest in the drawing they are doing, or their sums, and see how naturally they turn- -to you for friendly understanding. In one room, numbers are becoming joyously familiar by means of that magic bit o£ material, 'the long stair.' Children not supposed to be beyond counting eleven, work on to far more. They are elsewhere training their fingers and learning to follow form, so that the art of writing may come easier. One sees that it does. It is work partly under direction, but planned to bring out individual qualities. The quick child is not held back by the slow one. Coming to school ia, it seems, no longer an ordeal — more than a hundred children may. be admitted, and only one or two cry. 'We think,' said one teacher, 'that the use of the_ Montessori and kindergarten me thods in Sunday Schools helps the children to feel at home when they. come to us.' The first head mistress of this infant school was Miss Lydia Longmore, now Miss Inspector Longmore, who has room in her heart for all small children, but a special sense of home-coming at the school over which she ruled from 1910 to 1917. Miss Janet Davidson followed her. Miss Edwards took over in . 1920, and Miss Martha C. Lawrence became head this year.

Norwood Primary chool. ? Schools are living things, and grow out of their buildings as surely as children grow out of their clothes. . That the buildings do not wear out more rapidly is sometimes a misfortune. Possibly, it iB a pity that huge sums should be sunk in solid and expensive building materials when the needs and methods of the school are subject to constant change. 'You never know what will come next,' said the head master, Mr. W. Bennett, who, like all other school teachers, could do with more room in spite of the fact that the primary school has taken over the building originally intended for the High School, and also boasts some- 'pavilion rooms' which, though hot in summer, and cold in winter, meet an urgent need. The greatest need of all, however, according to Mr. Bennett, is that the general pub lic should really understand the aims and achievements of educational work. 'So many,' he said, in going over the school, assume that things are the same now as in their own school days. The school room possibly is a place of confusion, dis order, and noise, only dominated by force, whereas more enlightened methods have worked a startling change, and school is now a really happy place for a child. One thing that is needed is playground space. Norwood owes much to the muni cipality for the permission to use the oval for football and cricket for the boys, and for physical culture for the girls. ThiB however, is not available for ordinary play hours, and in the school playing grounds only about two square yards or space per child is available. The school was built in 1877. The first head master was Mr. Thomas Smyth. B.A., B.E. His successors have' been Messrs. Isaac A Plummer, W-...AI West, Alfred Williams (afterwards Director of Education). Al fred H. Neale, John Fairweather, D. J. Pavia, Joseph A. Kenned}', and Mr. Bennett. There is at present a teaching staff of 21. and about 1,350 children. There is a fine- roll of honour, containing 553 names of old bovB who went to the war. Of these 103 lost their lives. In the school grounds stands an obelisk lite rally built by the children themselves, each child paying threepence for its brick, and placing it Hinder direction) with its own hands. This war done in Mr. Ken nedy's tune. In 1883 North Adelaide and Norwood schools were running fairly even. Norwood reached the point of 1,000 pre jsent for a we.ek a little before North Adelaide did. Now, with 1,350 in the (primary, and nearly 700 in the infant j school, that number may count as i doubled. _ Among interesting mementoes are a series of portraits of former head masters, a war trophy given by the De fence Department, and 40 fifeB given by Mr. H. J. Holden, to whom the school j owed thanks for many other gifts. 'A i challenge shield for the best drill (won m 1892-63-94-98) was given by Sir Edwin Smith.

Domestic Arts Centre. Ill huawifry lieth . Till ten of the clock ? Good, hnawifry trieth . To rise with the cock. HI huswifry rendeth And casteth aside, Good^hnswifry mendeth! v Else would- it go wide, ?:'? 111 huawifry craveth - ? In secret to borrow, '''-?'? Good huswifry. saveth : To-day for to-morrow.

This : old-time verse beautifully executed on a decorative panel, may stand for tie' charter and manifesto of the aims and' work of the Domestic Arts Centre, next to the Primary School. When Miss E M. Devitt started it, it was the only one. Now there are centres at Unley and; Goodwood also, as ? well as in connection with the high schools at Norwood, Unley, and Woodville, beside country high schools at Port Pirie, Mount Gambier, Narracoorte, Kapunda, Gawler, Mount. Barker, and Strathalbyn. Meanwhile, the' parent centre is still in % the cottage in Osmond terrace, doing remarkably good work, though ' hampered— but that seems to have been said before. Miss Devitt is most enthusiastic about the 'home, making' side of her work, and any one who thinks that the domestic training' centre is a mere mackery school is much' mistaken. ^Besides other classes there is that . for teachers for the higher elemen tary schools in places in the country not. big enough for high schools. These students will teach part of the time as ordinary teachers as well as domestic art instruc- ; tors, and special care is being taken to train them ' to suit these conditions. 'Homemaking'- includes not -only ? cook- ing and all kinds' of housework and laun- -3 dry work, but .the planning of 'decorations* for the home, and all that goes to -the health and comfort of. the same; Just now anything that will make more attrac tive the work of the home is very much a step in . the right direction.. Norwood High School. )

.uiaiunuu cuuuuuuy aemauos a. sacri fice of exact, locality. ' Norwood District High 'School has been crowded out of its home town right up Beulah Road Exten sion to Kensington Park or Corryton. ? It' was originally opened in a building (now. part of the Primary School), in 1910, when , Mr. W. J. McCarthy, B.A., B.Sc, was1 assistanfin charge'Tof'the High School, at' that time-- a- department of- the Publici School; There were 140 scholars at the} outset. The new High School was built in, 1914 and opened in 1915, ? Mr. McCarthy being head master. There are nine class-' rooms and accommodation for .400, includ ding science and domestic art rooms. Jn1 1019 the* school was raised to a Class 2 High' School, .the attendance , being 260. By 1922 there were 314 scholars. At tin end of the year the head master was pro-, moted to Woodville. High School, and suc ceeded by Mr. Norman H. Edwards, irom Port Pirie High School. There are now 380 scholars, with additional visiting classes from the schools of the district for the domestic arts,. The boys outnumber' the girls, there being 210 of the former! and 170 of the latter; -^ There is a staff of ' 13 teachers, Miss White being senior mis tress and Messrs. Flint and Cause senior masters. . Miss Sudoltz has taught at the school from the start. The council of the school, of which _ Mr. Hunkin, MJP., is President, is a- distinctly live and. ener- :. getic body, and has just purchased a block of land adjacent to the school, on! which five tennis courts have already been ' constructed, the money being raised by a' 'continental.' The new' head master is . particularly keen about the athletic . side ' of school life. The boys have cricket,, football, tennis, rifle shooting, and swim-j ming; and the girls tennis and basket, ball. Another game much in favour in. the - Sydney Colleges, 'called. 'yigoTo,' is ' shortly to be introduced. This ho* somn what the character of cricket. Mr. Ed-, wards, believes in all-round development, physical and mental, and : a . just sense . of i values. 'You have,' he. said, referring to ... Bchool life, 'to guard against the over zealous specialist, who can only see his own sub ject. The playing fields are the . place to get to know the students— there' they are just themselves; Through games and the perfect system you may build up the feeling of the school. Prefects- take much of the petty discipline off the 'mast-- j ei^, and ft the same time learn reaponu- 1 bility. They practically run the sports. What is needed is not a .gospel. of .'doiit'a*- j but a gospel of 'do's;' also a Bense of re-, sponsibility for actions. Anything broken! has to be replaced. If .a ball goes through ? a ; window; -one boy takes - down the names' of those playing, and they have toj make' good the damage done. That is the end of it.' The High School has always done well in examinations. The year 1922 was no exception. Without going into details, it must be sufficient to say that results have been good all round, the commercial re sults especially, including four scholar ships. In the Junior Commercial the school gained 26 passes out of 27 entrants. There were honours won in many sub jects, including first for the State in book keeping in the Senior Commercial, and first for the State in business cor respondence -in - the - Junior Commer cial. Honours were also plentiful in the Junior Public Examination. Though the Norwood High School is still quite young, there are .many old scholars whose careers are being watched with pleasure and .interest by their tea chers and schoolmates. A few names taken at random may be of interest. In music there are Miss Irene Kemp. A.M.U.A., npw in London, and Miss Rita Coonan, A.M.U.A.. in London. ? In medicine, there

we Drs. C. Streich, -C. Rieger, B. Solo monB, and E. West. . Dr. Arnold Reimann, B.Sc., Physics Demonstrator at Adelaide University, was a Norwood High School boy. Two other old scholars are Mr. Clifford Robertson. B.E.. and Miss Iris Robertson. John Howard Clark Scholar. Capt. P. Kidd is in the Imperial Service in India. ? Among footballers are E. Wad ham (also successful as an Athlete), M. Dobson, and W. Sparks. But, of course, the greatest pride centres about the roll of honour for the war. Over 160 old boys enlisted, and 14 paid the supreme sacrifice. One who went as a private returned aa Srajor T. Clark, M.C. Among others win ning decorations were L. T. F. Robbing, M.M., R. R. Bruce, M.M.. W. S. Toucnell, M.M., and G. S. Lightbody, M.C. Prince Alfred College. Prince Alfred College stands well back in its extensive grounds on Dequetteville terrace, and has the added advantage of an outlook across the park. The main building, in Tudof style, has four floors in the central portion and two in each wing. The college was established, under the Wesleyan Methodist denomination. The land was purchased in I860. The founda tion stone was laid by H H.H. the Duke of Edinburgh on November 5, 1867. Mr. S. Fiddian, the first head master, enrolled 83 pupils in January, 1896, and taught them in Pirie Street Lecture Hall, until the opening of the college on July 10, 1869. In 1871 Mr. Fiddian was succeeded by Mr. J. A. Hartley, B.A., B.Sc, who relin quished the Jiead, mastership in December, 1914. after 39 years service. Mr. W. R. Bayly, who succeeded him, had been .a master in the college from \1883 to 1909. when he left to become h;ad jmaater of Geelong College, in Victoria. He returned to South Australia as head master of Prince Alfred College in 1915, and has everything concerning: the welfare of the school very much at heart. In 1911 the college was augmented by the purchns e of an adjoining property —the old home of Mr. Alexander Dowie —and a preparatory department was es tablished which had become an important feature. Started with 23 pupils, in charge of Mr. J. R. Robertson, the excellence of the work done_ won such approval as necessitated additional buildings. There is now accommodation for 100 boys, who work under the most nnnroved modern conditions. The new building is designed somewhat in bungalow style, with three classrooms and a large roofed-in outer court. This preparatory school is under the excellent supervision of. Mr. W. S. Gilbert. There ia ample playground space, apart from the big school. Prince Alfred College has shared in the .insistent de mand for secondary education, which has bpcnmp Rn miipTi lTifpnaifioH ain^o fl»o

war. For some years the governing body has been planning to' extend the accom modation. These plans are now matur ing in the erection of a large block of buildings, which will give much additional room in every department of school life, while taking little from the onen space. which counts for so much. The school has at all times most heartily encouraged physical exercises. There have been suc cessive additions to the building. The Waterhouse winjr (named after Mr. T. G. Waterhouse) in 1877. and the Colton wing m 1881;: also, a science hall, opened in 1891. Up to this stage the buildings had cost £30,000. Ttiere is a large gymnasium and.a. chemical laboratory. ^jThe -'memorial' block, now in progress of erection, is at the north end of the original building, and a little further back; B£lng on a hill, it will have two stories c v

in front and three at the back, the base ment being underground only at one end. There is to he an open court in the centre, surrounded -by balconies. The ground floor 'will be devoted to teachingr-there are to be eight new clasgroomsr-and the upper story and basement are for the do mestic side, the, lower floors being given up to the use of the boys apart from school, and including' dressing rooms for sports, a 'tuck shop,' - and so on. 'he,l-est way to understand something of this - school, whose influence has been so great in moulding, the charactar of many South Australians, is to begin at the begin: nine, and glance 'at the smaller boys at work-in their airy classrooms, or at play ?jtf.--theyrbomy grounds. 'This sense of plenty of room is striking after the public schools. On the other hand, there is less of colour ' decoration. It is thought by some people that . overmuch learning through sight weakens' the power of imagination and concentration. Going back to the main building, it is impossible to forget the influence that the sense of open space must have. In the classrooms of the older scholars there are pictures, mainly good, photographs of famous buildings of the past— 'Something that the boys may; never, see for. themselves,' as Mr. Bayly I payr. But the real centre of school life is j the: central hall. .One glance at the honour rolb explains why Mr. Bayly is chary about mentioning names . of successful scholars— there are so many. Scholarships have been given by many people, notably by Sir John Colton, Sir Thomas Elder, Mr. John -Dunn, jun.. Miss Colton, Messrs. Wills, Longb'ottom.Robb/Malpas, Grasby, and others. In addition to awards within

MR. W. R. BAYLY. Head Master of Prince Alfred College.

MR. W. R. BAYLY. Head Master of Prince Alfred College.

.the school there are a number of entrance scholarships awarded by the 6chool, and by the Old' Collegians' Association, which is a most active body, with a membership of 1,000,' - There are honour rolls on the walls of fthe central hall, givin-» Jong, long lists of names of those who have won scholar ships,* or succeeded in various examina tions. No wonder Mr: Bayly does not care to' -pick out 'a few.' Several masters are commemorated by tablets. Sidney Albert Vanes,- M.A. (mathematical master, 1887 .1901), Samuel . Churchward, BJf., Lond. (second master 1847-1890), and Joseph Tregilgas^Suntef, :B.A. ('associated with this- 'college, and master for - 24 years') There is a bronze bust of th« former head .with this inscription, 'Frederic Chappie, CLM.G., B.A., BJ3c, for 39 years ending December, 1914, head master of Prince Alfred College- -This tablet and bust were placed here by iis old scholars to keep his jongr'and faithful' service in. honoured memory.'1 .'-'There.- are sketches by Mr. J. :H.-'Chinner, and a painting and shield pre sented l-y Mr. James Ashton among the Jectfraiioprf of -the hall. Also a picture of this TJallipoli landing/ presented by' Sir Henry Galway. A roll of honour to the old scholars who took part in the South African War, 1899. to 1902, includes well-knom names, -among them that of Capt. F. M Rowell.

A brass tablet records a scholarship foun dation 'In memory of ? Reginald Argyle Davey, R.N.V.R:'; H.M.S. Canpania, who lost: his life in the .North Sea, September 8, 1916, aged .19 .years and 11 months.' A .companion panel records another scholarship in memory of his father, Mr. Arnold F. Davey, 'by. his . brother. There is no large Roll of Honour to those who served in the Great War as yet. That is to find a place in the memorial block. Only the names of those who saw actual service or were in camp when the Ar mistice came,, will be included, and even at this conservative estimate, 850 served. Of these, 160 fell and 80 won distinctions. In all, 6,035 boys have passed through the school. There are at present 480 scholars and a staff of 20 teachers, besides visiting masters. _. Of course anything like a com prehensive list of noted old scholars, is out of the question, but. among those who have made their mark may be included Sir Newton Moore (formerly of Western Australia, now of England); Mr. Justice Angaa Parsons, and the Hon. G. R. Laf fer, Professors Wilton^and Cleland of the Adelaide University, Maddigan. and Correll who went with Sir Douglas Ma'wson to the antarctic,- Will Ashton- and Hayley Lever in art, and Clem Hill, and J. Darling in cricket. Mr. Bayly, however, holds strongly that many of the bravest and finest -lives never win notice or recogni tion, and he believes that the function of the college is to help 'every boy' in every way, particularly the merely ordinary boy. Of the feeling of old P.A.C. boys for their college, there can be no doubt. Mr. Ed wards; head master of Norwood High School, himself an old Prince Alfred boy, voiced' this sentiment when he said, 'For na there is one school only, 'The school.' But though we fight against St. Peter's through all our schooldays, we fight with them afterwards— the tie between old col legians all the world over is very 'strong and a fine thing in ; life.' To give any adequate description of private and church schools in Norwood is impossible, and even a list is liable to be incomplete- One may mention Girton House (Mrs. J.1 A.- Smith) and Highdere School and Montessori (Miss Ellis), and Mi'hs Kingsborough's School; also the school of the Sisters of St. Joseph at St. Mary's Hall, Beulah road, -and the Marist Brothers' boys' school in Queen street.

Zoom

plus
thumb
minus
left
thumb
right
up
thumb
down