No corrections yet
The Late Mrs Reid Writing concerning the death of Mrs Johanona Reid, the "Spectator's" Heywood correspondent states:--The late Mrs Reid came to Victoria on September 11, 1860, and landed in Portland with her parents, Mr and Mrs Robert Steven. She was born at Dunoon. near Glasgow, Scotland. Mrs Reid was married to the late Mr William Reid at Portland by the Rev. Samuel Kelso. The offspring of the marriage numbered fourteen children, ten of whom still survive, Mr Steyen, Mrs Roil's father, owned the famous little spot in Portland still known as the "Wee Station." which was under two acres, but was laid out to represent an up to-date station and was of great interest to all townspeople and visitors of that time. It might be interesting to note that there are still some aged people in Portland at the present time who were present at Mr and Mrs Reid's wedding. These include Mrs Samuel Dawkins and ,Mr and Mrs Porter. The late Mr William Reid was 90 years of age at the time of his death three and a halt years ago. The late Mrs Reid and her husband were foundation members of the local Presbyterian Church, and they also claimed to be amongst the first sub scribers to the Portland "Guardian," which was established in 1842. Tne Reid family resided in the Heywood district for the most part of their lives, first at Drumborg ;near Sindlair), then at Athol Hill (a mile out), and of recant years in the township. The late Mrs Reid was of a genial disposi. tion and very kindly in her manner. She was always pleased to relate her early ex periences. The natives of that time came to her house in groups for provisions and t at first she was afraid of them. Mrs Reid had been well cared for tn her declining years, two of her daughters, Mrs Charles Gilholm and Miss Eliza Reid, giving the whole of their attention, Miles I. Reid a was well known in Hamilton for a number r of years as the proprietress of the Oriental establishment. Mr Lawson leid, J.P., of Heywood, and Mr Robert Reid are two sur- r viving sons. The funeral was largely at tennel. The l~v, Laity, of the Presbyteriaq f Church. conduicted the service at the grave side, and Mr W. A. Jarrett, of Portland, had charge of the mortuary arrangements.