THE OLD ORDER CHANGETH.
SOME EARLY ADELAIDE CHURCHES.
The demolition af the old Freeman Street Congregational Chapel, which is a prominent landmark in the city, and was bnilt in 1840, and formed portion of Messrs. A. M. Simpson & Sons* tin -ware factory for yeare, was referred to in The Register a few days ago. The passing of that historic structure, in which the pioneer Independents of the province worshipped, recalls a number of other early places of worship in Adelaide which, having fulfilled their original pur pose, were subsequently converted into business premises. The first Presbyte rian Church, known as the Gouger Street Academy, was erected early in 1841, on a site close to the Central Market. Later it was used as .a mission hall, and in due course was utilized for secular purposes — concerts and dances being held within its walls. It ultimately fell 3 victim to the exigencies of trade, and now forms portion of the premises of The People's Stores, Limited. One of the windows on the east side is still preserved, with its border of green, red, and blue glass; and the design of the old building with its massive walls, is yet traceable. An other early Presbyterian Church once stood on the site now occupied by Cowra Chambers, in Grenfell street. The first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in Hindley street, near the corner of Leigh street, and its site is now occupied by the Eagle Hotel. The second Wesleyan Church, which was the forerunner of the Pine Street Church, was erected in the late forties on a block in Gawler place, which was subsequently occupied by Clark's store, and on this site the north eastern portion of the establishment of D. & W. Murray, Limited, now stands. The parsonage was on the opposite side of the street. The 'Cathedral' Church of the Bible Christian denomination was situated in Young street, between Frank lin and Waymouth streets, and when union between the Bible Christians and the Methodist New Connexion was brought about in 1888 the services were transferred to Maughan Church, Franklin street (then Methodist New Connexion), and now the premises of the Methodist Central Mission. - The structure in Young street is now utilized as an imple ment factory. Although the unpreten tious looking red brick building,- which has stood for nearly 80- years, tit the corner of Grote street and West terrace, now fulfils a serviceable function as an assembly and concert hall, within its walls are enshrined memories of days when the Roman Catholic community met there for worship. Another of the earliest religious structures was the Ben tham Street Christian Chapel, - where Pastors Playford and Hussey each minis tered for many years. The building has in recent rears been converted into a group of business offices, known as Cran brook Chambers. What was 'originally the city stronghold of the Primitive Methodists in Morphett street is now known as Kennion Hall, and is the head quarters of the Boys' Brigade. Kennion Hall was first built on part of the site now occupied by the South Australian Farmers' Union Limited, in Bentham street. In the late 'fifties the Lutheran denomination built a small house of worship in Pine street, opposite Cornell's, Limited. The building has since been merged into an engineering works. The fine St. Stephen's Church erected in Wakefield street a few years ago per petuates the name of the old chapel. Ebeneier Chapel, a Congregational build ing, used to stand on part of the site of the New Market, between Grenfell and Bundle streets, but nearer to the latter thoroughfare. The premises for many years utilized by the Blind Institution in North Adelaide prior to the erection of its new building included a structure which was formerly a Baptist church. The only wooden structure now in use in Adelaide as a house of worship is the Friends' Meeting House (dating from the 'forties) beside St. Peter's Cathedral, North Adelaide, and within its grounds are several graves, for the Friends had a cemetery there in the earliest years of the State.