Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

16 corrections, most recently by Barjumpa - Show corrections



At the instance of the Pacific Insurance Company,   the brig Iserbrook, which was burnt and scuttled in       the harbour some weeks since, has been pumped out       by the workmen of Rountree's Dock . When the   vessel was dry to the cabin floor, a party of water police was sent to recover, if possible, the body of   Captain Fraser. After a search it was discovered in     a horrible condition, and the body could only be identified by means of the clothes that remained on   it. An inquest was heId at the Brecknock Arms       Hotel, when the following evidence was given -         James Hampshire, late Chief officer of the Iserbrook,   who was on board with Captain Fraser when the ves-         sel caught fire, stated that shortly after 1 o'clock on  

the afternoon of the 21st December he went on board  

the Iserbrook, and found Captain Fraser on board     with a sailmaker called Barron, whom the Captain   introduced to Hampshire as a friend of his, saying     that there was some rum in the store-room and they       would get some for him (Barron). They then took   off one of the main hatches, and the three men went       down into the store-room. When they got below       Finding it dark the captain and mate struck matches      

and went to a tier of casks behind the mainmast one       of which had been bored and was losely corked               Captain Fraser remarked, " This must be molasses"      

and pulled the cork out, and immediately a quantity   of rum ran out on to the deck. Hampshire, seeing     this put his finger into the cask, but the hole being   large, the spirit still continued to run out and in the confusion one of the men dropped a match, into the split liquor, which immediately took fire. Both men   attempted to stamp out the flames but were unable to   do so, and Hampshire's arm and hand were so   scorched that he had to withdraw his finger from the      

bung-hole, and, apprehending that the rum would   blaze up, Barron and Hampshire rushed on deck,               Hampshire falling into the hold as he endeavoured to     leave the store-room. On the latter reaching the        

deck a few seconds afterwards, he found Barron   alone. Both men went to the hatchway and shouted       the captain's name several times, but without licit,             and then an explosion took place, and flames and       smoke made their appearance at the hatchway. The           employees of Roundtrees wharf seeing the flames,  

came on board and removed the vessel from the  

wharf. Witnesses never saw (Captain Fraser alive             afterwards, and according to his belief tin li li hu     hil sttu at thu d i.Un UM, in ti,,, pi, mt, it t'n coroner and jury was that of Joseph Fraser, late       captain of the bri g Iserbrook. This evidence was fully corroborated by Cut of John Barron, a sail    

maker, residing at Balmain who had gone on board            the vessel at the invitation of the captain to have a             glass of grog. The jury found the body. lying     at the deadhouse was that of Joesph Fraser, the Captain     of the Iserbrook, and further that his death   had resulted accidentally from injuries received while             drawing rum. The f ollowing rider was appended to               the verdict The jury are of opinion that the delay     in taking effective steps for the recovery the body       is highly censurable