NAMES OF RAILWAY STATIONS.
MEANINGS AND DERIVATIONS.
Mr. Alfred N. Day, Secretary to the Railways Comissioner, has, with the as- sistance of particularly Messrs. J. C. B. Moncrieff (Chief Engineer for Railways),
E. M. Smith (Surveyor-General), H. C. Talbot, R. Cockburn, C.H. Harris, and R. Mercer, produced an interesting and valuable pamphlet giving the derivation and meaning of the names of the railway stations in South Australia. The follow- ing is the substance of the publication:— Adelaide— "Queen City of the South," which, "by royal command," was named after the con- sort of King William IV. Queen Adelaide died in 1849. Abattoirs.—Derived from the French for "slaughter-house." Alawoona.—Native name, formerly applied to a plain near Pinnaroo. Alberrie Creek.— Native name of 'Poole Creek,' recorded by G. W. Goyder, 1880. Alberton.— An abbreviation at Albert Town, so named in honour of the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Albert Park.— Name applied by W. R. Cave in honour of the Prince Consort. Aldgate.— Named by Otto Hawkins, an early settler, after Aldgate, near London. Algebuckina.— Native name of a waterhole, re- corded by A. T. Woods, 1872. The town was named by Sir T. F. Buxton, 1898. Ambleside.— A syndicate met in Adelaide for the purpose of naming this proposed new township. During its sitting and while the members were discussing a suitable name the postman delivered a letter from the wife of T. Bruce, one of the syndicate, bearing the postmark of 'Ambleside,' in England, and thus the name was decided.upon. Angaston.— Originally Angas Town, named after George Fife Angas. Anna Creek.— Discovered by Col. Warburton, in 1858, and named by him after a daughter of John Chambers. Ascot Park.— Named after an English racecourse. Avenue.—So called because of the parallel arrangement of natural features, consisting of swamps, flats, and stringy-bark ridges. Bagot's Well.—Named after Capt. C. H. Bagot, who sank the well, which was reserved for pub- lic use in 1855. Balaklava.— Private town, in the hundred of Balaklava, laid out by Charles Fisher and others in 1872, which hundred was named by Sir Dominic Daly shortly after the Crimean war. Balhannah.— Private town laid out by James Thompson in 1840. The name is a combination of those of his sister (Belle) and his mother (Hannah). Balyarta.— Native name for 'a stopping- place.' Banealla.— Meaning not known. Bangham.— This was the name applied to a sheep station in the locality. Barunga Gap.— Native for 'gap in the range.' Beachport.— Named after Sir M. E. Hicks-Beach (now Lord St. Aldwyn), Secretary of State for the Colonies, 1878. Beautiful Valley.— Descriptive. Belair.— Named by G. A. Ludewig after Belair, his wife's birthplace in the French island of Mar- tinique. It means 'beautiful air.' ' Belalie North.—Belalie is the name of a native tribal district, and is the highest railway station in the State. Beltana.— Native word for 'running water,' ap- plied by J. Haimes to his station about 1865.
Beresford.— Named by Col. Paisley after G. W. D. Beresford, Private Secretary to Sir Richard MacDonnell. Bews.— Samed after the Hon. David Bews, at one time Commissioner of Public Works. Binnum.— Native for 'plenty of sheaoaks.' Black Forest.— So-called because ot the black bark and deep shadow of the dense foliage of a gum forest at one time frequented by bushrangers. Blackrock.— Originally applied by Capt Frame, R.E., to Blackrock Hill, in the vicinity, in 1843. Black Swamp.— Descriptive. Blackwood.— Descriptive. Blyth.—Named after Sir Arthur Blyth, at one time Minister of the Crown and Agent-General. Blythwood.— After Sir Arthur Blyth. (See Blyth.) Booleroo Centre.— Booleroo— a corruption of 'bulyeroo'. or 'bulyaroo,' which one authority says means 'plenty,' and another 'soft mud and clay.' Named 'Booleroo Centre' because the town is in the centre of the hundred. Boolgun.— Native for 'plenty.' Boorthanna.—Originally 'Boortheboorthanna,' but abbreviated for convenience. Native name for a 'bushy plain.' Recorded by Trigonometrical Surveyor Lees in 1883. Bopeechee.— Native name of a group of springs south of Lake Eyre, recorded in 1877. Bordertown.— A Government town laid out in the year 1852, about 10 miles from the Victorian border. Borrika.— Native name for 'a stranger's hut.' Bowden.— Named after Sir J. T. Fisher's native town in Northamptonshire, England. Bower.—Named after Hon. David Bower, at one time Commissioner of Public Works. Bowmans.— Perpetuates the name of E. and C. Bowman, well-known pastonalists, who held the estate aiong which the railway passes. Brachina.— Neither the origin nor the applica- tion of this name can be ascertained. Brennan.—Previously known as Brennan's Cross- ing, after a railway employe. Bridgewater.—Name applied by John Dunn, sen., who had a watermill there. Brighton.—After the English watering place of the same name—laid out by Matthew Smith, solicitor in 1840. Brimbago.—Native name connected with 'big swamp,' the name of 'Theodore Hull's' station in the locality, which he so named in 1860. Brinkworth.—Named after George Brinkworth, pastoralist, from whom the land was purchased. Bruce.—Named after a well-known farmer in the district. Buccleuch.—Named after the Duke of Buccleuch, in Scotland. Bugle Ranges.—In the early days a bullock known as "Bugle" often used to stray to these ranges, hence the name. Bull Island.—It is alleged that the name was applied owing to a bull having been stranded on the highest point of the island for several days during a flood. Burra.—'Burra Burra'' is Hindustani for "great great", the name having been used by shepherd coolies in the employ of James Stein. Bunora.—Native for 'a long distance.' Burrungule.—Native name for 'currant bush,' also for a legendary hero wh0 destroyed an evil spirit. Bute.—Applied by a settler from the island of the same name in the Firth of Clyde, Scotland. Butler.—Named in 1913 in honour of Sir Richard Butler, a former State Treasurer, Commissioner of Public Works, and now Commissioner of Crown Lands. Callanna.—Name given by F. H. Dutton to his sheep station, 'The Callanna." The meaning has reference to a native legend, and implies that a legendary kangaroo drank there. Callington.—Named after a town of the same name in Cornwall. Caltowie.—Native for "waterhole of the sleepy lizard." Camden.—After 'Camdentown, London.' Oppo- site Morphettville Racecourse. Cannawigra.— The native name given to J. C. Scott's station in 1851, variously interpreted as having reference to 'a long line of gum trees' or 'a little pathway of sticks over soft ground.' Carrieton.— After Caroline, second daughter of Governor Jervois. Cavan.— A name applied because of the prox- imity of the station to the old-established Cavan Arms Hotel. Ceduna.— Native name, derived from an adja- cent rockhole. Chandos.— The county in which the station is was named by Governor Kintore after the Duke of Buckingham and Chandos. Cheltenham.— Named by John Denman after his native town in Gloucestershire. Chillundie.— Native name having reference to water. Ciapham.—Named after Clapham Junction, a London suburban station. Clarence Park.— Applied by a local land agent, after the Duke of Clarence. Cockaleechie.—The name of a soup, for which probably the namer had a partiality. Cockburn.— A town on the New South Wales border, named after Sir John Cockburn in l886, at one time Premier and Agent-General. Compton.— The name of the owner of a local factory. Condowie.—Takes its name from the Condowie Plains in the vicinity, native name having reference to 'good water.' Cooke's Plains.—Named after Archie Cooke, pas- toralist. Coomala.— Native name for a rockhole in the vicinity. Coomandook.— Signifies 'enemies' country.' The station is several miles south-east of the native place, pronounced Coom-an-duk. The River Murray blacks were fearful of the Tatiara tribe. Recorded hy Capt. De Lissa about 1860. Coomunga.— Native name for a swamp in the vicinity. Coombe.—Named after E. H. Coombe, ex-mem- ber of Parliament. Coonalpyn.— Native for 'barren woman.' Coonawarra.—The name of John Riddoch's fruit colony, started by him about 1895. 'Coon,' being aboriginal word for 'big lip,' and 'warra,' for house, and was applied by natives to a house in the locality in which a man with a re- markably big lip lived. Coward Springs.— After 'Cpl. Thomas Coward,' of Warburton's exploration party, in 1858. Cross roads.— So called because of the crossing of several main roads there. Croydon.— The name means 'chalk hill,' and was applied by P. B. Coglin, after the town and parish of similar name in Surrey.
Crystal Brook.—Named by the explorer Eyre, in 1839, because of the clear water found inthe brook. Native name for the brook is 'Mer- cowie,' meaning 'clear water.' Cummins.—Perpetuates the name of the late W. P. Cummins, M.P. Currency Creek.— The first boat that entered this creek on December 5, 1837, was called the Currency, hence the name. Custon.— Named after Percy Cust, son-in-law of Governor Jervois. Cutana.— Native name, meaning 'waterhole on plain.' Darke's Peak.— Named after explorer John Charles Darke. who was killed by natives in the locality in October, 1844. Deep Creek.— Descriptive. Dewsqu.—Is the name of the lineman who occu- pied the railway cottage on the site of the station. Dry Creek.— Descriptive. Duck Ponds.— An old name which is evidently descriptive. Dudley Park.— Named after the Earl of Dudley, Governor-General of the Commonwealth, 1903-1911. Eba.—Was probably the name of a friend of Governor Sir Richard MacDonnell; also applied by Explorer Stuart to a hill north of Lake Gairdner. Eden.—Description of natural beauty. Eden Hills township named by E. Ashby. Edeowie.— Takes its tame from 'Edeowie Station' in the vicinity, founded in 1850. De- rived from the native 'ethie,' meaning 'diamond sparrow' and 'owie' water. Edillilie.—Native name for 'two springs close together.' Edward's Creek.— Named in 1883 by Trigono- metrical Surveyor Lees, after the son of John Chambers, the manager of a station near by. Edwardstown.— Named after W. Edwards, the original owner, who laid out the town in 1838. Eudunda.— Native name of a spring west of the town, which the natives used to call 'Eudunda- cowie," the meaning of which is unknown. Eurelia.— Named after a Govenment town near the Oladdie Run.
Exeter.— It was in Exeter Hall, London, that the resolution to form an association for the colonisation of South Australia was carried. Farina.— Formerly known as 'Government Gums,' was named by Governor Jervois, evidently without perfect knowledge of the surrounding country. It is abbreviated from 'farinaceous.' Farrell's Flat.—Derives its name from the fact that shepherd by the name of Farrell was lost in the locality. Finniss.— Named after Col. B. T. Finniss, who came out as assistant surveyor to Colonel Light, and afterwards occupied many public positions. Fords. — Derives its name from John Ford, who held the land in that locality. Forestville.— A name suggested by its proximity to Black Forest. Frances.— So named by Governor Fergusson, after the wife of D. O. Jones, of Binnum Run. Freeling.— Named After Mjr.-Gen. Sir Arthur Henry Freeling, Bart., who was appointed Sur- veyor-General and Colonial Engineer, as succes- sor to Col. Frome. Galga.— Native for 'hungry.' Gawler.— After Lieut.-Col. George Gawler, Governor of South Australia, 1836-1841. Laid out in 1839. Gemmells.— In honour of Thomas Gemmell, an early pastoralist. Georgetown.— Probably named after George Fisher, who owned Bundaleer Station. The town was laid out in 1889, and was part of the Bundaleer Estate. Geranium.— A native plant of prolific growth in this locality. Gilberts.—Was named after a local resident. Gladstone.— In honour of the Right Hon. Wil- liam Ewart Gladstone. Glanville.— After Capt John Hart's residence.. Capt. Hart was connected with the early his- tory of this State, at one time Chief Secretary and Treasurer, and was also prominent in ship- ping circles. The railway station was built on his land. Glencoe.— Derived from Glencoe in Scotland. Glencope.— Compiled from the name of Mr. Cope, the owner of the farm land, purchased for the station site. Glenelg.— In honour of Lord Glenelg, who was Secretary of State when the colony was founded in 1836. Named by Governor Hindmarsh, and afterwards confirmed by Governor Gawler. The town was laid out in 1839. Province proclaimed here on 23th December, 1836. Glenroy.— From a town of similar name in Scot- land. Goodwood.— After the seat of the Duke of Rich- mond, Chichester, England Goolwa.— Native name for 'the elbow,' which is the shape of the River Murray, on the banks of which the town was laid out in 1870. Goondooloo.— Native for 'the Southern Cross.' Gordon.— In honour of a brother of Governor Jervois. Grange.— The home of Capt. Sturt, who built his house here in 1842 and named it 'The Grange.' Grangevilie.— Suggested from the Grange. Grasslands.— A name suggested by the Sherlock Farming Company, because of the green appear- ance of the crops when the station was opened. Green's Plains West— Named after John Green, pastoralist. Gulnare.— The station derives its name from 'Gulnare Plain,' discovered by John A. Hor- rocks in 1841, and named after his favourite dog. Gulnare means 'flower of the pome- granate.' Byron so used it in his poem 'The Corsair'— 'Brief time had Conrad now to greet Gulnare; few words to reassure the trembling fair.' Gumbowie.— Native name, having some reference to water. Gurrai.— Native for 'refreshments.' Halbury.— So named because it is in the hun-
dred of Hall. Halidon.— Derived from Halidon Hill, where the English gained victory over the Scotch dur- ing the reign of Edward III. Hallett.— Named after Alfred Hallettt, who was an early pastoralist in the district. He called his homestead 'Willogoleeche.' The railway station is the third highest in the State. Snow falls here in cold winters. Hallett's Cove.— Discovered and named by Mr. John Hallett when looking for missing stock in 1837. Hamley Bridge.— Col. Hamley opened the bridge while Acting Governor in 1868. Hammond.— So named by Governor Jervois, after his eldest son. Hampden.— Derives its name from William Hampden Dutton, brother of F. S. Dutton, Pre- mier and Agent-General, 1863-1877. Hansborough.— After Francis Hansborough Dut- ton, who founded Anlaby Station in 1840. Hanson.— Bears the name of Sir Richard Davies Hanson, who had a distinguished career in Parlia- ment and was Chief Justice of South Australia, 1861-1876. Hart.— This station derives its name from the Hundred of Hart, gazetted in 1864, perpetuating tbe name of 'Capt. John Hart,' a pioneer of this State, at one time Chief Secretary and Treasurer, and prominent in shipping circles. Hawker.— Perpetuates the name of the Hon. G. C. Hawker, at one time Minister of the Crown and Speaker of the House of Assembly. Hawthorn.— After a town of the same name in Durham, England. Henley Beach.— Derived from Henley-on-Thames, London. Hergott Springs.— Springs named by Explorer Stuart after a botanist then in his party, whose correct name appears to have been D. D. Herr- golt. Hilton.—After Matthew Davenport Hill, the original owner of the section. Holder.— Perpetuates the name of the late Sir Frederick Holder, a prominent Australian states- man. Holloway.— Named after a landholder living nearby. Hookina.— Native name of a 'shrub with long edible roots.' Hoyleton.—Perpetuates the name of Mr. Hoyle, the owner of the land on which the station is built. Huddleston.— This town was named in 1877 after Baron Huddleston, a distinguished English Judge. Hynam.— After a town of similar name in Scot- land. Irrappatana.— The meaning of this name or how it came to be applied is not known. Islington.— Laid out by the Hon. John Ben - tham Neales, M.L.C, in 1839, and named after Islington in London. Jabuk.— Believed to be the native name for 'bullock.' ' Jamestown.— After Sir James Fergusson, Gover- nor of South Australia from 1869 to 1873. Kadina.— Retains the sound of the native 'caddy- yeena,' meaning 'lizard plain.' Kalangadoo.— Was the native name given in 1849 to Morris's Station. It is derived from 'Keliu-nurter,' meaning 'Keli's pool of water.' There is a great difference of opinion with regard to this name. The natives in the early days called the swamp near the old Kalangadoo home- stead 'Kallangbool,' meaning 'swamp with many gums growing in it.' Kalyan.— Native for 'you stay here.' Kanni.—Native for 'frilled lizard.' Kapinnie.—Native name formerly applied to a sheep station. Kapunda.— From the native 'cappie-oonda,' which means 'water jump out,' probably a spring, and was the name given to the first cop- per mine discovered in the State and to the town adjacent, which was laid out in 1844. Karkoo.— Native for 'sheaoak.' Karoonda.— The native name of the town, laid out in 1914, at the junction of the Waikerie and Paringa Railway lines. It is native for 'a winter's camp.' Karte. — Native, meaning 'a low thick scrub.' Keith.—Named after Sir Lancelot Stirling's eldest son. Keswick.— After an English town of the same name. Kiana.— Native name applied to the Hundred— the meaning is not known. Kielpa.— Native for 'a short distance.' Ki Ki.— The native name of a well and also for worms dug out of a soakage in the locality. Town laid out in 1913. Kilkenny.— After a town of similar name in Ireland. Kimba.— Native for 'a bush fire.' Kinchina.— Native for 'a rocky place.' A former name was Rocky Gully. Kingston.— Named in 1858 after Sir George Strickland Kingston. Known also as Maria Creek, from the brigantine Maria, wrecked there in 1840, some of the passengers and crew being massacred by the natives. Kingswood.—Probably named after Kingswood in Gloucestershire, England. Kilto.— Native for 'grassy.' Kirip.— Native word for 'boxwood tree.' Kirkcaldy.—After a town of similar name in Scotland. Kononda.— Native for 'northward.' Koolunga.— A town laid out on the north bank of the River Broughton in 1889, and named by Governor Ferguson; previously known as 'Hope's Crossing.' A native word, which pro- bably refers to the red banks of the River Broughton. Koora.— Native word for 'plenty.' Kringin.— Native for 'growing' or 'springing up.' Krongart.— This name is of uncertain origin. It was applied by R. H. Ralstone to his station near Penola about 1864. The sound is similar to that of a native word meaning, 'bullfrog swamp.' Kulde.— Native for 'brothers.' Kulkami.— Native word, meaning 'to wait.' Kunlara.— Native for 'the native companion.' Kybunga.— A word coined by Lieut. Col. C. R. Roberts, who applied it to his farm, and also to the township. Without a meaning. Kybybolite.— Was the native name given to Townsend's Station in 1849, and is believed to have reference to a runaway hole in the garden in front of the house. In later years it became the freehold property of Mr. Kiddle, from whom the Government purchased it in 1903 for use as an 'Experimental farm.' Lameroo.— A word used by the natives of the Northern Territory. Town named by Sir George Le Hunte. Largs.— After 'Largs' on the Firth of Clyde, Scotland. Laura.— Named in 1872 by Governor Sir James Fergusson in honour of the widow of H. E. Hughes, the owner of Booyoolie Estate. The natives called the site of the town 'Wirra- matya,' meaning 'gum flat.' Leigh's Creek.—Derives its name from Harry Leigh, Alexander Glen's head stockman, who opened up this part of the State with stock in 1855. Littlehampton.—Owes its origin to Mr. Benjamin Gray, who laid it out in 1849, naming it after his native town in Sussex. Long Gully.— Descriptive. Lowalde.— Taken from 'Taplin's Vocabulary of the 'Narinyerri Tribe. 'tea' Loxton.— So named by Sir George Le Hunte in 1907, after Mr. Loxton, an old settler on the banks of the River Murray between Pyap and Renmark. Lucindale.— Embodies the Christian name of Lady Lucinda Musgrave, wife of Sir Anthony Musgrave, Governor of this State, 1875-1877. Lyndhurst.— Named by Mr. Samuel Parry, 'in honour of the most eloquent Lord Lyndhurst, 1856.' Lyndoch.— Named by Col. Light after Lord Lynedoch, under whom he served in the Penin- sula War in 1811, in Spain. The natives knew Lyndoch as 'Putpa.' Maggea.— Native for 'camp.' Malla.— The name of a plant that grows in the local swamps. Mannahill.— A facetious name for an old eating house, applied by shearers. Manoora.— A native name, believed to have reference to 'spring' or 'water.' The town was founded in 1830, and takes its name from the 'Spring,' a favourite camping ground of the natives at that time. Mantung.— The name of a waterhole that was the starting point of an early lease. The mean- ing has some reference to a white man's camp. Marama.— Native for 'black duck,' also in Fijian Marama, pronounced Ma-rama, means 'woman.' In Maori pronounced Ma-rama, means
'Light.'— the moon as deity— Light— Bright. The word Ma meaning 'white,' and Rama, 'a torch or lamp.' Marino.— Is the Italian spelling of the word 'marine.' The name appeared on early maps as Marina.'' Mattala.— A native name, taken from the River Murray tribe. Meaning not known. McDonalds.— the name of the owner from whom the land was purchased on which the station now stands. McDonald Hill.— Named By Trigonometrical Sur- veyor Brooks, after one of his men. McLachlan.— Named after the hundred in which the station is situated. After J. McLachlan, at one time a member of Parliament. McLaren Vale.— Named after David McLaren, commercial manager of the South Australian Com- pany until 1840. Meadows.— Descriptive. Medhursts.— Named in honour of a local resident. Melton.— Probably derived from Melton Con- stable, Norfolk, England. Meribah.— The name was first applied to a bore in the locality, and was taken from the Bible as being 'the place where Moses struck the rock and the water gushed forth.' Mernmerna.— Name of a picturesque gorge in the locality, meaning 'buttocks.' Methuen.— In honour of a well-known British general, who distinguished himself in the Boer War. Middleton.— Named after Col. Higgins, after a town of the same name in Ireland. Milang.— Evolved from the native word mil- langk, 'the place of the millin, killing, or big fight.' Mile-End.— So named because it is situated one mile from Adelaide. Miller's Corner.— 'Miller's Corner' takes its name from 'David Miller,' one of Glenelg's early residents, who started in business as a timber merchant in 1856, and opened a store at the 'corner' of Partridge street and Jetty road in 1872. Millicent.— Perpetuates the name of Millicent Short, daughter of the first Bishop of Adelaide, and wife of George Glen, S.M., who owned Mayurra Station, on which the town was estab- lished. Millswood.— Compiled from the name of George Mills, the owner of tbe section. Mindarie.— Native name, formerly applied to a sheep station. Mindiyarra.— Native for 'plenty.' Mingary.— A native name, the meaning of which is unknown. Minnipa.— The native name, formerly applied to a hill near the site of the station. Mintaro.— A word of Spanish origin, meaning 'camping or resting place.' Minvalara.— A native name, the meaning of which is unknown. Mitcham.— After a town of the same name in Surrey. Mitchells.— Named in honour of an adjoining landholder. Mona.— This was an ancient name applied to the Island of Anglesey, and was probably given to the siding by a settler from there. Monarto South.— 'Monarto' was the native namer of 'King John's' lubra. The tribe occu- pied country on the Murray, 10 miles north of Murray Bridge, called 'Wall.' J. W. Bull, in his 'Early Recollections,' 1839, makes, in- teresting reference to this John. Montieth.—Named after T. F. Monteith, pioneer pastoralist. Moockra.— -A native name applied to a large rock on top of a hill near Pekina. Moody.— Perpetuates the name of a former mem- ber of tbe S.A. Parliament, D. A. Moody.
Moonta.— Properly 'moonta moonterra,' mean- ing place of impenetrable scrub. The town was laid out in 1863, and named by Sir Dominick Daly, the then Governor. Moorlands.— After Moorlands, near London. Moreenia.— Was a name applied by natives to a particular soakage from a granite outcrop. Morgan.— After Sir William Morgan, Chief Sec- retary of the State, 1878. The native name of the site of the town is 'Koerabka.' Morphettville.— In honour of Sir John Morphett, M.L.C., a prominent early settler. Morphett Vale.— Similar to Morphettville. Mount Barker.— Was named by Capt. Sturt in compliment to his friend Capt. Collet Barker, of the 39th regiment, who was killed by the natives near Goolwa. The native name of the Mount is 'Womma Mu Kurta.' The town is named after the mount. A handsome monument to tbe memory of Capt. Barker is in the town. Mount Barker Junction.— Similar to Mount Barker. Mount Bryan.— Named after Guy Bryan, who was lost in the bush while exploring with Governor Gawler. Mount Dutton.— Bears the name of Francis Staker Dutton, Commissioner of Crown Lands, 1858 to 1860, and Agent-General, 1865 to 1877. Mount Gambier.— Discovered and named by Lieut. James Grant, in 1800, after Admiral Lord Gambier, who commanded the fleet at the battle of Copenhagen. The natives call the mount 'Erengbalam.' Mount Hill.— So named by the explorer Eyre after William Hill on September 29, 1840. This is the 'Bluff' mount of 'Flinders,' seen by him in 1802. Mount Hope.— So named by Eyre during his ex- plorations. Mount Lofty.— Named by Capt Matthew Flin- ders in 1802. A monument to the memory of the great navigator stands on the summit of Mount Lofty, known as 'Flinders Column.' The natives call the mount 'Yureidla,' meaning the locality of the ears. Mount Mary.— A shepherd's hut was originally on this site, and, being on a rise, was christened 'Mound Mary.' The present 'mount' is a cor- ruption of 'mound.' Mary was the sister of the person who first applied the name. Mudamuckla.— A native name, formerly applied to the water supply. Mundoora.— Native word, meaning 'rushes,' 'fish,' and 'food.' Mundowdna.— A native name, referring to a peculiar waterhole about which there was a native legend. Murray Bridge.— Named from the bridge across the River Murray. The nomenclature of the stream preserves the name of Sir George Murray, Secetary of State for the Colonies, when Sturt discovered, named, and navigated the river to its mouth in 1830. Mutooroo.— Native word, meaning 'place to go to for food.' Nackara.— Compiled from the native for 'my brother' and 'looking eastward.' Nadda.— Native word, meaning 'a camp.' Nairne.— The maiden name of the wife of Matthew Smillie, the original owner of the sec- tion on which the town is built. Nangula.— Native name of springs near the sta- tion. Nantabibbie.— Native word, having some refe- rence to the black kangaroo. Narracoorte.— A corrupted word derived from the native name for a waterhole in that locality. The name was known as far back as 1845, but this part of the country was not held under pastoral conditions until 1851. Naturi.— Native for 'sandy soil.' Nilpena.— Native name, originally applied by W. J. Brown to his sheep station. The meaning is unknown. Ningana.— Native name originally applied by W. J. Brown to his sheep station; meaning is un- known. Native name meaning 'to rest.' Noarlunga.— A native word, meaning 'fishing place.' The town was laid out and named in 1840. Sometimes called 'The Horseshoe,' from the curve of the River Onkaparinga, on the bank of which the town is situated. Noora. — Native for 'a camp.' Northfield.— Descriptive. Nunjikompita.— Native name formerly applied to catch holes on the water conservation reserve. Nunkeri.— Native name for 'beautiful' or 'good.' Nuriootpa.— Native name, the meaning of which is unknown. Nurragi.— Curtailment of a native name meaning scrub. Oaklands. — A name suggested by the abundant growth of sheaoaks. Olary.— Native name of a creek. It was first given, about 1870, to a well by Messrs. Duffield, Harrold, and Hurd, who held the country under a pastoral lease. Oodla Wirra.— The name of a native weapon, consisting of a notched curved stick, and was formerly applied to an asbestos mine near the railway. Oodnadatta.— From the native 'utnadata,'' meaning 'the blossom of the mulga.' Town laid out in 1880, and named by Sir S. J. Way, Bart., Deputy Governor. The farthest northern railway station in the State. Orroroo.— Native name of a creek remarkable for its rapid current. The word signifies 'moving quickly,' also given as native imitating the sound of the wind, Or-ro-roo. Laid out in 1873, and named in 1876 by tbe Governor, Sir Anthony Musgrave. Osborne.— In honor of Capt R. W. Osborne, a well-known Port Adelaide mariner. Oulnina. — Native word, having reference to good water. It was first applied by W. M. Hughes to his sheep station. Outalpa.— A native word, referring to water. Given by Messrs. Hurde & Foote to their station (1858). Outer Harbour.-- So called because of this har- bour being farther out from Adelaide than Port Adelaide, the inner harbour. Ovingham.— After a town of simiilar name in England. Owen.— Named after John Owen, who possessed land in this locality. Parachilna.— A native word descriptive of a creek with steep banks and with stones and ochre in the bed. Paramatta.— After the Paramatta River, in New South Wales. From 'para' fish, 'matta' land, jutting out into the water. Paratoo.— Native name applied to the sheep station held by Dare and Mundy about 1858, and purchased in 1862 by P. Waite. The meaning is unknown. Parilla.— A native word, which has the mean- ing of 'cold,' in the Eyre's Peninsula dialects. Paringa.— 'Paringa,' the name given by the natives to a large waterhole on the Murray (when the river was low), opposite the original home- stead founded in 1851, and means' 'whirlpool,' the natives saying it was 'disturbed like a whirl- pool agitated.' Parrakie.— A native word, having reference to subterranean water. Paruna.— Native for 'a stopping place.' Named in 1914 by thr Governor (Sir H. L. Galway). Paskeville.— Honours tbe name of Gen. Paske, brother-in-law of Governor Jervois. Pata.— Native for 'swamp gumtrees.' Peake.— Named in honour of the Premier of South Australia (the Hon. A. H. Peake). Pearlah.— Native name of a spring on the pro- perty of Mr. Venning. Peebinga.— Native name, the meaning of which is unknown. Penola.— Was the native name originally applied to the station property of Alex. Cameron. The name was also applied to a large swamp seven miles from the town. Perponda.— Native for 'plains.' Petersburg.— Was originally farming land, but soon after the Broken Hill mines started Peter Doecke subdivided portion of his firm into a township, and applied the name of Petersburg. Peterhead.— After a town of similar name in Scotland. Philcox Hill.— Named after Edward O. Philcox, who selected land in the vicinity In 1840. Pillana.— Native name, formerly applied to a swamp to the west of the present station site. Pimbaacla.— Native name, formerly applied to a sheep run. The meaning is 'big lot of pines.' Pinnaroo.— A native term used to express 'big man.' Plympton.— On the Glenelg line (North terrace), was the name bestowed by John Crews, an early colonist, on his dairy farm property on the Bay road, after his native town in Devonshire. Point Pass.— A. descriptive name probably ap- plied by early settlers. Poochera.— Native name for a hill nearby.
Port Adelaide.— The chief port of the State, and situated seven and a half miles from the capital. Port Augusta.— Perpetuates the Christian name of the wife of Sir Henry Fox Young, Governor of this State from 1848-1854. The town was sur- veyed in 1854. The natives call it 'Kurdnatta,' meaning 'heaps of sand.' Port Broughton.— This town was laid out in 1871, the name being derived from the River. Broughton, which was named by Eyre in 1839, after Wm. Grant Broughton, first Bishop of Aus- tralia. Port Elliot.— Named by Governor Sir Henry Fox Young in 1850, after his friend, Sir Chales Elliot, who was Governor successively of Bermuda, Trini- dad, and St. Helena. Port Lincoln.— Discovered and named by Flin- ders on February 26, 1802, 'in honour of his native county.' The natives call it 'Kallin- yalla.' Port Pirie.— After Sir John Pirie, one of the original directors of the South Australian Com- pany. The port was named in 1840 by Governor Gawler. The town was laid out in 1871. The natives call it 'Tarparrie,' meaning 'muddy creek.' Port Wakefield.— Came into existence in 1850, and received its name from the River Wakefield, discovered in 1838 by William Hill, who chris- tened it in honour of Edward Gibbon Wakefield, originator of the system of colonization under which South Australia was founded Pungonda.— Native for 'a fight.' Puntabie.— Native name formerly applied to the rockholes on the water conservation reserve. Quorn.— An abbreviation of Quorndon, a town in Leicestershire. Reddy Creek.— Descriptive Rendelsham.— After a town of similar name in Suffolk. Richmond.— After a town of similar name in Surrey. Riverton.— So named by James Masters, a pioneer colonist, who laid out the town in 1850, and called it Riverton, because of the fact that the town was situated on the banks of a river (the Gilbert). Robertstown.— Formerly known as Emu Flats. Mr. Roberts was the first postmaster, and laid out the town in 1871. Roseworthy.— Laid out by Mrs. Grace Gartrell in 1867, and named after Mr. and Mrs. Gartell's native village in Cornwall. Reynella.— In honour of John Reynell, who laid out the township. Mr. Reynell planted the first vineyard and made the first wine in South Aus- tralia. Rowland's Flat— Bears the name of Edward Rowland, who traded as a merchant in the early forties. Rudall— After S. B. Rudall, member of Parlia- ment, and at present Chairman of Committees. Saddleworth.— Owes its origin to James Masters, a pioneer colonist, who held pastoral country on the River Gilbert in 1840. He called his home- stead 'Saddleworth Lodge' after his birthplace in Lancashire. In 1833 he had a portion of his estate laid out as a town, calling it 'Saddle- worth.' It was on the celebrated 'Burra Mines' road. Saints.— Perpetuates the name of John Saint, an early settler. Salisbury.— Laid out by John Harvey, and named after his wife's birthplace in Wiltshire, England. Saltia.— Sir Titus Salt laid out a village in Eng- land, and called it 'Saltia.' The town in South Australia was named by one of his workmen. Sandalwood.— Name suggested by the sandalwood trees in that localityy Sandergrove.— Named by William Rogers, as em- bodying the family name of 'Sanders.'
Sandy Creek.— Descriptive of the nature of the soil in the creek. Seacliff.— Descriptive. Seaton.— Named by W. G. P. Joyner. An ab- breviation of 'Sea Town.' Semaphore.— Was the site chosen for a signal station and landing place about a year after the province was founded in 1836, hence the name. Seppelts.— Named after J. E. Seppelt, the foun- der of the well-known winery. Sherlock.— Named by the Governor (Sir T. F. Buxton), in 1907, after one of his friends. Sleep's Hill.— Named after Samuel Sleep, a pas- toralist who held country there in the early forties. Smithfield.—J. Smith was the original owner of the section. Snowtown.— Governor Jervois named the town in honour ot his Private Secretary, Thomas Snow, in 1878. Snuggey.— So named because of a beautiful valley situated in a somewhat uninteresting loca- lity. Solomontown.— Bears the name of Emanuel Solo- mon, owner of the section on which the town is laid out. South Hummocks.— The name 'Hummocks' was applied to these ranges by Flinders, because of their appearance from a distance. Stewarts.— After D. Stewart, a squatter well known in the south-east. Stirling.— The name 'Stirling' was applied to a section cut up by Gavan Young in 1849, and called after Stirling in Scotland. St. Leonards.— After 'St Leonards' in Sussex. Stockport.— The section on which the town is built was originally held by Samuel Stock, jun., of Stockport, England. Stockyard Creek.— The site of the station was formerly used as a stockyard by C. B. Fisher. Stone Hut.— This name was derived from an old hut, which served as a landmark, on the farm of Walter. Strangways Springs.— Named in honour of the Hon. H. B. T. Strangways. Strathalbyn.— This name was suggested by Rankine brothers, settlers of 1839, and means, literally, 'white valley.' The Soottish 'strath' was suggested by a resemblance, and the 'albion' white by an appearance. Struan.— Derives its name from 'Struan House' in the vicinity, John Robertson's home, which is christened 'Struan,' after his native town in Scotland. Stuart's Creek.'— Discovered and named in 1858 by B. H. Babbage, in honour of the well-known explorer 'John McDouall Stuart.' Summit.— Descriptive. Sutherlands.— Mr. W. Sutherland was respon- sible for the opening of the siding for the pur- pose of a wood trade, hence the name. Suttons. — After Sutton Brothers, well-known local residents. Tailem Bend.— The name is a corruption of the native name 'Thelim,' meaning 'bend,' the posi- tion marking a sharp turn in the River Murray, and was a stock crossing in the 'overland days.' The station is the junction of the Servicetown and Pinnaroo railway lines. Taldra.— Native name for 'kangaroo.' Tantanoola.— The meaning is obscure, but the word is believed to be derived from a native word 'tintanoorla,' meaning a hut constructed by brushwood. Tanunda.— A native word meaning an abund- ance of waterfowl in a creek. The town was founded in 1839 by Pastor Kavel, the mentor of many of the German emigrants. Taplan.— Native for grasstrees. Taragoro.— Native for 'a small black cor- morant.' The town was named by the Governor (Sir H. L. Galway) in 1914. Tarlee.— Believed to be a corruption of 'Tralee,' in County Kerry, Ireland. Telford.— After Thomas Telford, civil engineer and architect, 1858. Terowie.— A native name having reference to water and applied to a small creek close to Messrs. Chewings & Hiles's station, 'Wookongarie,' foun- ded in 1852. Terre.— Formerly applied to a sheep station to the west of the station site. Thebarton.— Takes its name from the house which Col. Light built and lived in. The name 'Thebarton' has undergone a slight vowel change, and is derived from 'Theberton Hall,' in Suf- folk, the English home of Col. Light. Thebarton was the first village laid out beyond Adelaide, and was proclaimed a corporate town on February 7, 1883. Thevenard.— A name applied by the French navi- gator, Nicholas Baudin, in honour of the French Minister of Marine, M. Thevenard. Tintinara.— Was the name of a blackfellow who used to loaf about the original Boothby homestead. Mrs. Boothby suggested the name as being a pretty one. Tookayerta.— Native for swampy land. Tooligie.— Native name of a hill to the east of the station. Toora.— Native name for 'coot' or 'mallee hen.' Ucolta.— Native name recorded by Surveyor Brooks, 1882. The meaning is unknown. Ulooloo.— A creek discovered and named by Capt. E. C. Frome, R.E., Surveyor-General in 1843. It is a native word meaning 'a continuous and permanent stream.' Ungarra.— Native name formerly applied to a fresh waterhole in the locality. Unley Park.— 'Unley' perpetuated the maiden name of the wife of Thomas Whistler, the owner of the sections. The original Unley, as laid out by Whistler about 1857, consisted of only four streets, bearing the names of the founder's four children—Mary, Arthur, Albert, and Thomas. Unley is the third largest city in the State. Upper Sturt.— 'Sturt' honours the name of Charles Sturt, explorer and discoverer of the River Murray, 'the Nile of Australia.' The Sturt River, the native for which is ' ''Warri- parri,' meaning 'creek fringed with trees.' Uranno.— A native name which is prominent in the map of this locality. Urrabirra.— Native word meaning 'to swal- low.' Veitch.— The name of a well-known family in the district. Verran.— Named after the Hon. John Verran, Premier of South Australia, 1912-13. Victor Harbour.— Bears the name of H.M.S. Vic- tor, whose commander, Capt. Crozier, surveyed the harbour. Wahpunyah.— A native name suggested by the 100-Mile Progress Association. The meaning is unknown, although the native word 'Wahgunyah' means 'resting place of crows.' Waikerie.— The name is taken from the Waikerie Station, founded by W. T. Shepherd in 1892. It is a native word used to express anything that flies, or a favourite place for wildfowl to settle. The town is on the Murray, and is the terminus of railway laid out in 1910. It was named by the Governor (Sir Hay Hort Bosan- quet). Wallaroo.— The native words were 'wadla-waru,' meaning 'wallaby's urine.' It became twisted into 'wallawaroo,' and because this was too long to stamp on wool bales the name was clipped to Wallaroo. Wallowa.— Native name for a large plain fre- quented by wild turkeys. Wanbi.— Native word for 'wild dog.' Wandana.— Native name applied to the hundred, the meaning of which is not known. Wandilo. — Native for 'a swamp where native companions resort.'' Wangianna.— A native word, meaning 'hill of the plain.' Wanilla.— A native name formerly applied to a spring in the locality. Warburto.— Was the name applied to a spring near the station. Warnertown.— So named by Governor Jervois after his Private Secretary (J. H. B. Warner). Warunda.— A native name formerly applied to a swamp in the locality. Warramboo.— A native name, formeriy applied to a lake in the locality. Warrina.— Warriner's Creek, in this locality, was named by B. H. Babbage in 1856, after Thomas Warriner, a member of his party. Wasleys.— Perpetuates the name of Joseph Was- ley, the owner of the land on which the station is situated. Walville.—Gets its appellation from Way Col- lege, devoted to the memory of Rev. James Way, father of Sir Samuel James Way, Bart., Chief Justice. Wepar.— Probably a native name, the meaning of which is unknown. Wharminda.— A native name formerly applied to a range of hills near the station.
Wildeloo.— A native name formerly applied to the district. Wilkawatt.— Native name meaning 'wild dog.' Willamulka.— Native for 'shiny stones stained green with copper.' William Creek.— Name given to this creek by John McDouall Stuart, who, exploring in this part of the province in 1858, named it in compliment to William, second son of John Chambers. Willochra.— Native for 'flooded creek where polygnum bush grows.' Willunga.— Laid out in 1840. The natives called it 'willa-unga' — locality of green trees. What is now Willunga was visited as far back as 1837 by Col. Light with a guard of marines from H.M.S. Buffalo. Wilson.— A town laid out by the Government and named by Sir Wm. Jervols. Winnininnie.— Native word meaning 'much,' 'many,' or 'a gathering place.' It was applied by J. Hallett to his station about 1856. Wirha.— Native for the acacia salinica. Wirrabara.— A corruption of the native 'wirra- birra,' native for 'gum forest and running water.' State afforestation started here in 1877. Wirrawilla.— Native word, meaning 'green trees.' Wirrega.— Takes its name from, John Bennie's homestead, founded by him in 1850, and is the native name for an offshoot from the Tatiara tribe, meaning 'dwellers in the open forest.' Wirrulla.— Native name formerly applied to a rockhole. Wolseley.— Named after Lord Wolseley, once Commander-in-Chief-of the British Army. Woods.— Perpetuates the name of Richard Woods, an old resident of the locality Woodville.— Laid out by John Bristow Hughes in the early fifties. The name is descriptive. He built St. Margaret's Church there. Woolshed Flat.— Descriptive. Wudinna.— Native name, having reference to a hill with granite rocks. Wynarka.— Native for 'a strayer.' Yacka.— The name was clipped from 'Yacka- moorundie,' native for 'sister to the big river' (River Broughton). Town named in 1870 by the Governor (Sir James Fergusson). Yamiba.— Native for 'camp.' Yandia.— Native for 'camp of lively talk.' Yantanaby.— Native name formerly applied to a well. Yarcowie.— Native for 'wide water.' Town named by the Governor (Sir Anthony Musgrave) in 1874. Yeelanna.— Native name of a spring in the locality of the station. Yelta.— A native, word referring to some small animal. Yeltukka.— Native name, meaning 'new place.' Yongala.— Part of a phrase, 'yongala cowie,' having reference to an animal, and good drinking water. Town named by the Governor (Sir An- thony Musgrave) in 1876. Yunta.— Has reference to' the anatomy of a woman. Yurgo.— Natlve for 'a long way.'