OLD FAMILIES OF VICTOR HARBOUR.
Holiday-makers at Victor Harbour tread on historic ground (writes L. W.). On tie Bills girding the matchless blue of tie sea stand. many historic iomee. Edzell,
percied iigi on tie ridge, waa built by Arthur Fydel Lindsay, an early-day sur veyor. He laid out the township of Hindmarsi, and ias left iis name behind in Lindsay Circus. He surveyed the old part of Victor Harbour, known as Alex andra. He gave land for St. Augustine's Church of England, and for tie Congre gational Church in 1869. He married one of the seven Miss Leworthys, daughters of Capt. Malcolm Leworthy, wio as 10year old midshipman was interned in France during the Napoleonic wars. Mre. Lind say survived her husband, and died aged 91. Tie Lindsay tablets form en inte resting group in St. Augustine's Church. Mre. Lindsay Page Jives at the family homestead. Other daughters of Arthur Fydel Lindsay are Mrs. Ross, Mrs. Stew art, and Mrs. Lindsay Salom. Mount Breckan Clubhouse, now owned by Mr. Connell, was built by the Hon. Alexander Hay. He died there in 1898, aged 78, and there is a memorial window in St. Angus- tine'a Church. His widow and daughter lived on at Mount Breckan until an acci- dent occurred by whch the home was burnt down. Mrs. and Miss Hay took passage for England by the ill-fated Wara- tah in 1909. A beautiful reversible lec-
tern in St. Augustine's church commemo- rates their tragic end. Mount Breckan gets its name from tie bracken which is indigenous to the district. Across the Hindmarsh, opposite Mount Breckan, stands Adair, the residence of Mrs. M. E. Cudmore, who has been in England since the war. There were four Cudmore brothers— Messrs. Arthur, James, Dan, and Milo, and the firstnamed survives. James owned Paringa, and called his house at Glenelg after the station. Dan owned land on the Darling, and settled at Victor Harbour. His son, Lieut. Milo Cudmore, won the Military Cross, and made the supreme sacrifice in the war. Another son, Mr. Paul Cudmore. is Mayor of Victor Harbour this year. Tie Hays and Cud- mores were irreat friends, and a boat was kept busily plying between the two iouses in their youthful days. Mr. Dan Cud- more bought Adair from John Hindmarsh, jun., son o£ our first Governor, and he added to and beautified the original home- stead. John Hindmarsh gave his name to the river, formerly called by the natives Moatpinga. He married Mrs. Abrahams, one of tie seven Miss Leworthys. His son, another John Hindmarsh, is resident in New Zealand.