Comments

Show 1 comment
  • doug.butler 13 Oct 2012 at 06:36
    For Shuldam read Shuldham

Add New Comment

3 corrections, most recently by Spearth - Show corrections

NOMENCLATURE OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA.

NAMES AND THEIR ORIGIN XIX.— AN ALPHABETICAL! REVIEW. ? . \ —A Populous Suburb.—

Norwood received its name from the towa of similar designation near Lon don. The oldest part of it -was laid out by Mr. Samuel Reeves in 183S, sinrl soveral vears later it was added

to by Messrs. Robert Miller, William Anderson Bryden, William Paxton, and Henry Collier, wlio, act ins; as a company, agreed to a certaia desi.im for a town showing streets and a limited number of allotments of vari ous sizes, the original plan of which cannot be traced. The vendoi'S of tuo allotments were those' mentionol alwvo. and some of the streets are {named after members of their fami lies. One of the earliest residents oi' Norwood was Charles Bouncy, then Commissioner of ,Crown Lands and aftenvards first Mayor of the towii. [Kensington and Norwood were tlw first .suburban townships to be granted separate municipal government. (July 7. 1F53.) Robert Harrison wrote appa rently in naste when, in his 'Colonial Sketches,' he referred contemptuously to Norwood as 'a village; in fact, an other square mile of imaginary streets in imitation of the great metropolis.' —Famous for its Caves. — Narracoorte is a name that would scarcely be recognised by the natives who gave it to us. The late Mr. Wil liam Melntosh,, who laid out .the ad joining town of Kincraig in ISoO, said that ihe name Narracoortft was known as fai back as 1845. The town was laid out by. the Government in 1850. The late, Dr. Gunning, who settled there in 1S40, in a letter to the lato

i\ir. A. x. iuagnrey in ioco, cnim ui»' the same should be Gnanga-kurt, bwi did not give the meaning of it. Mr. Magarey stated that his father, who was at Narracoorte in 1S61, was told by tbe hfcicks that the name, was Nanna-coorta. .Mr. Melntosh recorded that the word meant ''large water holft.' Mr. A. Caldwell, proprietor of the local Herald, wrote as follows, in reply to an enquiry from the writer: —?'Dying legends state that Narra coorte derived its name from Narcoot, a native appellation of a waterhole somewhere in the neighbourhood, th-i locality of which is Dot generally knovi-n: Its residents and the general public call the town Nanacoorte, but the Government departments drop an R. For some years after its settle ment the business portion of the pre sent Narracoorte was known as Kin craig, the name of the birthplace in Scotland of the late Mr. W. Mclntosii, founder of the place. That name is now almost forgotten, and is used only on official doenments.' The late James McLean, Sheriffs officer, referred to Nancoota Springs in one of his re ports, and Tolmer to Narcoota Springs'. uMiA ehnii flppirtfi between these multi

farious corruptions? The discovery o? beautiful caves a few miles from tuo town has given favour to the place anioug tourists. —Miss Naime.— Nairne and the surrounding district were originally owned by the late Mr. Matthew Smillie, who on January 20, 3830. applied for a block of 4,000 acres of land as a special survey at the source of the Onkaparinga, north of Mount Barker. Pie selected laud there in what is now the Hundred of Kan lnantoo. At the end of 1S4O he laid out « portion of his land as a town, and called it Nairne after the maiden nama of his wife — Miss Elizabeth Corse Nairne, whom he had married some years before in Scotland. Mr. fcS. Sanders did much of the surveying of the land, which was eventually re sold. The final sales took place in November. 18SG. Part of the special survoy is known as Hay Valley. Mr. Matthew Smillie built a large two story house on his land, and called it The* Valleys. His son, the Hon. Wil liam Smillie, was Advocate-General and Crown Solicitor here for som-! years, and died in Paris on December 11, JS52. He also acted as Emigration Agent for a time. ^Why Not Name?— Nailsworth was christened by Enoch Fit, a farmer, after his birthplace iu Gloucestershire. He bought two sec

tions of land there m i.Sdb. it na«i tho spare names of Pine Forest and St. John's Wood. A splendid opportu nity to bestow a native name was niisWd in this instance. The aborigi nal word for the native pine that onc» nourished in that locality was Narmi, which would have sounded well as th.j appellation of the townsrip. It had frothing in common with the Glouces tershire Niiilsworth, where they manu facture stockings, pins, woollens, and p-.itent leather boots. The first Go vernment House in Adelaide was buiit of native pine from our Nailsworth. —A Stiff Pinch .— Norton's Summit honours the late Rojbert Norton, who, with his bullock dray in 1851, was the first to scale this ur, to that time inaccessible hill.

—The Horseshoe.— ;: : ? I Nccrlunga, or the Horseshoe as It.,iBi sometimes called, is a town on' the! banks' of the Onkaparinga that dates' away back-to 1840. Capt Barker, who discovered the Onkaparinga, wrote:— **We crossed the bar, and ascertained; that it was a narrow inlet of four miles in length that terminated at the base of the ranges'— which is the lo cality of the Noarlunga of to-day. One of the native vocabularies says that the- word is aboriginal for 'fishing place.' The designation of Horseshoe is obtained from the curve of the river in the vicinity. — Netley Abbey.—

Nutley, in the Hundred of Adelaide, was bought by the late Thomas Hud son Beav in 1838. ...Te came to South Australia in the Duke of York in 1836, and called the place Netley after the ruins of Netley Abbey, in Hamp shire, his native county. There is also a run called Netley' near the Yunta Railway Station. — No Trees.— . Nullabor Plain was discovered and named by Mr. E. A. Delisser in 1866-7. The name is a combination of two Latin words— nulla and arbor— meait- injr 'no trees.' The discoverer wrote that there was no tree visible from the Western Australian norder to the meridian of Fowler's Bay. The na tives called the coastal country adja cent 'Bunda Bunda,' probably mean ing 'high cliffs.' —Closer Settlement— Naming, the scene of one of the lat est ' efforts in closer settlement, is derived from Ngnara-rung, meaning 'place of large sheaoaks.' —An Eariy Dentist— Nonnamille bears the same of Robert Norman, dentist, father of Dr. H. H.- Norman. His brotber-in-law came out here in the early days ami selected land in this locality, and Robert Norman followed in 1847. At Selli--k's Hill there is an hotel known as Norman's Victory. . This was so called in compliment to John Norman (brother of Robert), who as a member of the Central Road Board, was mainly instrumental, after a long and persistent struggle against many oppo nents, in having the road constructed over Sellicks HilL : —A Black Girl's Name.— O'Toroo was once part of the Pefcitia Run. In its present fonu of spelling it has been stripped of a few round rowels, for the natives made a mucu bigger mouthful of it than the whites do. The late Mr. C. Sabrne told Mr. T. R. Bowman that Orroroo was the name of a black girl who used to run aDnut Pekina Station. Other, deriva tions suggesting dust and. drift and wind have been put forward, but the character of the word is all in favour of ifc» having been applied to a living object. Sir Charles Todd, when asked to establish a post office at the town many years ago, jocularly replied:— 'Dear me! There are only two letters in Orroroo. What do you want a post office for?' —A Name That Tripped.— Onkaparinga River is a word that has had many variations in spelling. It was discovered by Capt. Collet Bar ker, of the 29th Regiment, on April 17, 1831, when searching

the gulf for an outlet of tho waters of Lake Alexandrina. He cros- sed the bar in his boat, and recorded the name of the stream as Ponke parringa Creek, as given to him by the' natives. Later on it was called Unka paringa, while Messrs. Teichelmann and Schurmann spelt it Ingangkiparri in their vocabulary. 'Dr. Wyatt spelt it Ungkeperringga and gave its mean ing as 'Mother river; plentiful.' it is in relation to that part of the river between Noarlunga and the sea that the first syllable changes to Ponke, meaning' 'shadows or reflections in water.' In a map of Col. Light' the stream is marked Field River. It was rediscovered by Lieut. Field on October 3,1836, when in charge of the brig Rapid cruising along the coat from Rapid Bay. He reported the circumstance to Col. Light, who sent Mr. Pullen in the brig's gig to examine the entrance. He reported that he had seen a large river for some distance, but the bar of sand at the entrance had such a tieavj surf over it that the gig was nearly upset. It was the wish of Col. Gawler to keep to the native names of localities, so later on, the river was given its proper designation of Onka paringa. — Fourider of Whinham College. — Ovingham was cut up by Mr. John Whinham, founder of Whinham Col lege, who called it after the quiet, rustic village of Ovingham, near New castle-on-Tyne. — An Early Police Commissioner. — O'Halloran Hill derives ite name from Mjr. Thomas Shuldam   O'Halloran, second son of Gen. Sir. Joseph O'Halloran. Having seen ac- tive service in the British Army, he came to South Australia with his fa-

mily, and settled at the spot now known as O'Halloran Hill. He was appointed Commissioner of Police and Police Magistrate by Governor Gawler in 1838, and his adventures in the former capacity form quite a ro mance, particularly in contact with, hostile blacks. Mjr. O'Halloran re- tired from the Government service in 1843 on account of his disinclination to fulfil the dual position of Police Commissioner and Police Magistrate. He was a member of both the nominee and elective Legislative Councils. — A Misnomer. — pJintreo Hill is about two ntiies from a iiill bearing the same designation. It is a complete misnomer, because tho township is in the midst of timber and practically on the edge of a forest ex tending back to the Rivei* Murray. The solitary troe on the hill remained until it was cut down about 12 years njro.

^rWhere Australia's Greatest Steeple : chase is - Run.— Oak bank, the scene of the great pic nic race meeting on Easter Monday, was named by the late Mr. James Johnston (who bought ihe township, section) after his property in Camg belltown, Scotland. —Crumbs of Nomenclature.— Nepean . Bay, Kangaroo Island, which is associated with the earliest history of the State, was named by Flinders on March 21, 1802, after Sir Evan Nepean, Bart, first secretary of the Admiralty. Cape Northumberland was named by Iileut .T. Grant on December 3. 1801).

after the Duke of Northumberland, a general in the British Army. . Cape Nelson is another of Lieut ©rairt's names, taken from his ship, which was known as 'His Majesty1? tinder box.' Neptune Islands were christened by Flinders in ' 1802. Neptune was tho god of the sea. Lake Newland was discovered by Eyre in September* 183i), and called after the Rev. W. R. Newland, of Eu counter Bay. Nangkita, where a village settlo m«jnt was 'established, means in the native language 'place of little frogs.' Nantawarra is a corruption of tho native word Nurntowerrah, meaning 'black kangaroo country.' Our autho rity is Mr. T. R, Bowman. N-?]shaby, otherwise spelt Nelshiby and Nelcebee, is aboriginal for 'boil- ing spring.' j Tbe River Neales and the'Huridred of Neales ? honour John Bentham Neales. who came here in the ship Ed.;n in - 1838, succeeded as' an auc tioneer, and sat in Parliament both before and after the granting of re spotisible government Navan, a township of Ihe past be tween Riverton and. Tariee, is after tiie Navan in County Moatti, Ireland. Nuyfs Arcliipelago and Cape Nuyts are' two of tiie oldest names on our map. They bear the name of Peter Nuyts, who was in Australian waters in the Guide Zeepard in 1627. . Ninries Plains and the Hundred of Ninnes derive their cognomen from Thomas Ninnes, who died at Clare iu 1804. Oodnadatta is a name adopted by Edward Lees, of the Survey Depart ment, when he trigged ' the locality. He left no record of ite meaning, which probably has refeience to th« barren and stonj'' nature of the country surrounding Oodnadatta. Overland Corner is on a bend of the Murray, about six miles nortli-west of L«ko Bonney, and is on the main road from Adelaide to New South .Wales. It was an important -centre -in the ovev lanfling days. All stock travelling' be- tween New South Wales and South Australia passed through Overland Coracr, where there is a -ferry. Lake Ormerod, near Narracoorte, derives its name from George Ormerod. a pioneer pastoralist, who held coun try there in '.1846. Mr. Ormerod was interested largely in pastoral matters, and was the head of a big shipping firm at Gnichen Bay. He died in Mel bourne in 1872.

Osmanu Beach obtained its cogno men from the fact that the steamer Osnianli was wrecked on that part of Kangaroo Island on November 25, 1853, on a voyage from Port Adelaide. Oskden Hills were named by the late Mr. Allan McFariane after Mr. PhiHp Oakden, now of Lerida, New South Wales. Oxford, a small suburb of Adelaide, was d'.ristpned by Mr. T. J. Matters a?ter tiie English. Oxford. Onaunga is native for 'big water hole.' There is a district council of that name. O'Connell street, North Adelaide, perpetuates the name of Daniel O'Gon liell, the celebrated Irish politician. i — Missing Derivations.— Nftckara, Nnpperby, Narridy, Nuri oorriii, Oladdie, Olary, Oodlawirra. 0wW,0ulriina, and Outalpa. .

Zoom

plus
thumb
minus
left
thumb
right
up
thumb
down