Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

3 corrections, most recently by jchapman - Show corrections


Pastor Robert Kettle Finlayson, of Zion Chapel, Adelaide, who had been indisposed for several weeks, died at the residence of his son (Mr. E. N. Finlayson), at Kensing ton Park, Leabrook, on Monday. He was born at North Adelaide on April 27, 1839, and was the eldest of five sons of the late Mr. William and Mrs. Helen Harvey Fin layson, who were prominent in the early missionary annals of the State. His early life was spent with his parents on their farm at Mitcham, and later he engaged in similar work for a little while on Yorke's Peninsula. Mr. Finlayson at an early age engaged in active Christian work, walking to the city on Sunday morn ings and distributing tracts on the way. For nearly two years he attended the edu-. cational institution of the late Mr. J. L. Young. where he secured a few prizes.

With the late Rev. Allan W. Webb he, with the help of three ladies, commenced a Sunday school in George street, Stepney, which grew to be one of the largest in the State. He was then appointed deacon of the Christian Church at Zion Chapel, Pul- teney street, and was recognised as evan- gelist. In March, 1871, he was called to be co-pastor. There were three churches under the same pastoral care: Pu!teney street, George street (Stepney), and Burn- side. In 1877 he, with his first wife (Miss Elizabeth Cornish, daughter of Mr. T. B. Cornish, of Stepney) and family, removed to the city. Three years later his wife died, leaving eight children. In 1884 he married Mrs. Charles Bowen (eldest daugh ter of the late Mr. W. H. Burford). but she died about 18 years ago. In the city Mr. Finlayson took an active part in evan- gelistic movements, and from the com mencement to the close he was a member of the Adelaide Ministerial Society. F'or

more than 25 years he was Secretary to the Adelaide City Mission, and for 35 years he almost daily attended, and for most of the time wae the leader of the Y.M.C.A. midday prayer meetings. He was always a prominent figure at conferences promoted to discuss the second advent of Christ. The surviving members of the family are Messrs. W. H., J. H., R. N., and A. C. Finlayson, of Adelaide, Mrs. H. T. Rush, of Nairne, and Mrs. T. C. A. Magarey, of Blackwood. There are 10 grandchildren. Deceased was a brother of the late Mr. John Harvey Finlayson and of Mr. William Finlayson, of Adelaide. While a number of bathere were surfing at Manly on Saturday afternoon (writes our Sydney correspondent) four or five became helpless in the swell, and were washed out to sea. A contingent of life savers made prompt efforts to recover them, and all. with the exception of Arthur Reginald Stanley Gartrell, of Ade aide, were saved. Cafit. GartreU was brought ashore in an unconscious state, and unsuccessful efforts were made to ire suscitate him. The deceased returned from the front at the end of last December. He was 31 years of age. He went to GollipoH in charge of a company of sig nallers attached ,to the 3rd Australian Light Horee, was wounded in a shoulder, and afterwards contracted enteric fever and was invalided home. Three weeks ago he was jyipointed to command a signalling division at Broadmeadows camp, Victoria, and at the time of his death was in Sydney on business asso ciated with his duties. He has left a widow and two children, who reside at Dulwich. Prior to his enlistment Capt. GartreU was overseer at the printing es tablishment of E. J. McAlifiter & Co., of



Blyfh street, Adelaide, and before that served long terms with the firms of Hussey and Gillinghmn and Sharples Brothers. He was a keen military student, and had been connected with the South Australian Mili tary Forces for about 15 years. He was O.C. of the local section of the Signalling Corps before the outbreak of the war. The deceased was also an esteemed member of the Australian Natives' Association and the South Australian Typographical Union. In conversation with a reporter on Monday, two comrades who served with the late Capt. Gartrell in the expedition ary forces stated that he was loved by all with whom he came in contact. In the words of one of the rank and file he was 'a fair dinkum bloke.' On parade Capt. Gartrell was a gentlemanly officer, and he displayed the utmost consideration and re spect for his subordinates. He was al ways prepared to bear his share of any task, no matter how hard. "He was a lovable man.' said one of the soldiers, 'and his men would go anywhere with him. Off parade he was never above associating with the rank and file, and for this rea son he endeared himself to them. After a strenuous day's training it was inspiring to see him walking around the camp talk ing and laughing with the men. The in terests of his command, in fact, were his own. He was a good singer, and had a splendid repertoire of stories. It is doubt ful whether any officer in the expeditionary forces was more popuiar than the late captain. Every one will deplore his death.' Capt. Gartrell served on Galli poli, where he was in charge of the 3rd Signal Section of the 3rd Light Horse Bri gade. On the field he proved himself a valorous officer. It is understood that the deceased officer, had he lived, would shortly have been promoted to the rank of major. At a meeting of of the Adelaide City Council on Monday, the Mayor (Mr. Isaacs) reported that Cr. Forwood, who occupies the important position of Presi dent of the Associated Chambers of Manu factures of Australia, had been appointed by the Federal Government a member of the Advisory Council to consider and ini tiate scientific researches, in connection with the primary and secondary industries in the Commonwealth. Cr. Forwood was congratulated upon the honour done him by the Federal Government. At a recent sitting of the Port Augusta Circuit Oourt Mr. A. M. Harvey, on behalf of the local members of the legal profes sion, congratulated Mr. Justice Buchanan (who presided) upon his elevation to the third judgeship of the Supreme Court. Mr. Hardy stated! that when he and Mr. Jus tice Buchanan arrived together in South Australia 46 years ago he (the speaker) had no idea that His Honor would adopt the legal profession. Mr. Justice Bucha nan appropriately responded.

Lieut. Essington Day, of the 16th Bat talion. A.I.F., left for Western Australia last Saturday, where he will rejoin rein forcements for his battalion. Lieut. Day, who was born in 1891, is the eldest son of Mr. T.'E. Day, for some time chief sur veyor for the Northern Territory. He left South Australia in December, 1914, as a private, and.' was pro moted to corporal during his stay in Egypt. Later, while engaged in the Gallipoli campaign with other Aus tralian forces, he spent five months in the trenches, and his supei-J-'- officers recog nised his ability by advancing him to the rank of lieutenant. Although invalided home about four months ago, he has suf ficiently recovered to allow of his return to duty. Probate of the will of the late Mr. John George Forster, formerly of Murray Bridge, is being applied for. by Elder's Trustee and Executor Company, Limited. The gross estate, 'which consists of real and personal property, and is sworn not to exceed £2,020, is left to the widow and children. Major F. W. Hurcombe, second in com mand of the 10th Battalion, who was in valided to England in August last, and re turned to Egypt on January 1, has been appointed heutenant-coldnel in1 command of the 50th. Battalion, 13th Brigade, 4th Division. His son, Lieut. R. K.. Hur combe (transport officer), was promoted to first lieutenant a few months ago. Owing to the serious, illness of the Presi. dent of the Federated Builders of Australia (Mr. J. Wall) a social which had been ar ranged in his honour for Monday evening bv the South Australian association was abandoned.

Our London correspondent cabled on Monday that Earl Russell had married Countess von Arnim, the authoress. The Earl had been married twice before, his first wife having been Mabel, daughter of Sir Claude Scott; and his second wife Mollie, daughter of the late Mr. George Cookc, of Cumbernauld. Countess von Arnim is of British birth. Her first hus band was Count Hennig August von Ar nim. She has written several books, the best known of whicli is, perhaps, 'Eliza- beth and her German Garden.' Mrs. A. P. Iralay, of Prospect, has re ceived a cable message from Egypt stat ing that her husband has been appointed major, and second in command of the 48th Battalion, Australian Imperial Forces. Major Imlay is well known in commercial circles throughout the capital cities of the Commonwealth, and originally left South Australia with the 16th A.I.F. King Alfonso of Spain is one of the busiest monarchs in Europe to-day. He has organized a clearing house for informa tion about the 'missing' in the war. Being strictly neutral, the King of Spain can ap peal to any country at war for news of mussing soldiers. He uses this power to the uttermost, finding and sending infor mation of husbands, brothers, and sweet hearts. Several hundreds of letters are dealt with each day, and they come from women of all classes and nationalities, from servant girls to countesses. A large por tion of the royal palace in Madrid is given over to the work. To assist in this hu mane scheme, His Majesty has many Secre taries who are adept at reading all kinds of handwriting and languages. A stained plass window was unveiled at the Flinders Street Presbyterian Church at the close of the morning service on Sun day last. The window was presented by Mre. Taylor and family, and was handed to the keeping of the congregation by Mr. W. D. Taylor. The Rev. Dr. Davidson, in accepting it on behalf of the congrega tion, referred in fitting terms to the quiet, unostentatious life of the late Mr. William Taylor, and to the service he had rendered, not only to the Presbyterian Church, but the whole community. The window ie a fine example of the Australian craftsman's work. The subject is a treatment of the Good Samaritan, ?the' central figures of which are well defined, and stand out in bold relief. The work has been executed by Messrs. Thompson & Harvey, of Ade laide. Mr. Wallace Bruce, of Medindie, has been appointed to a seat on the board of directors of the Adelaide Cement Com pany, Limited. It was mentioned in a paragraph in The Register on Monday that Lieut-Col. R. E. Hamilton, of Aldershot, England— whose wife, the only daughter of the late Sir James Penn Boucaut, died a few days ago — is a' nephew of Gep. Sir Ian Hamilton. This statement is incorrect. Lieut.-Col. Hamilton k no relation of the former Gallipoli leader. ? ? ?- -'