Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

3 corrections, most recently by Spearth - Show corrections

OBITUARY.

Mr. J. Friedrich Sudholz, xeho died at his residence, Hewitt avenue, Rose Park, on Monday, was 80 years of age. 3e was born near Bremen and arrived I.i South Australia at the ace of 20 years.

Mr. Sudholz opcncl a drape.-y business in 'Bundle street soon afterwards, and sold out 30 years later to engage in farm ing pursuits at Kalangadoo, in the south east. He was married to Miss Caroline Luhrs, of Payncham South, more than -'5j years ago, and he- was the main factor in the subdivision of the Luhrs Estate. Mr. Sudhoiz's kindly disposition and fine business integrity endcare'd him to many friends. His great hobby was gardening. The family coitprise nine— Mrs. HI J. Patterson (Penola), Messrs. J. F. and Herbert (Adelaide), Walter (Warrackna beal}, and Alfred and Frank Sudholz (Ka langadoo), and Misses Laura, Gertrude, and Bertha Sudholz (Rose Park). Mr. Ebenezer Frank Cooke, who died at Camberwell, Victoria, last Sunday, was the eldest son of the late Mr. Ebenezer Cooke, formerly Commissioner of Audit in South Australia. Mr. E. F. Cooke was educated at Mr. Martin's school at Port Adelaide, Mr. Thomas Caterer's Grammar School at Norwood, and at St. Peter's College. He first gained commercial ex perience in the office of Mr. Henry Scott, a former Mayor of Adelaide, where he ac- quired a thorough knowledge of account ancy. Afterwards he became secretary of the Corporation of South Australian Copper Mines, and was connected with the English and Australian Copper Company at Port Adelaide, as accountant, and later as acting manager. When Messrs. Chaf- fey brothers started their irrigation scheme on the River Murray, Mr. Cooke's ser- vices were engaged to organize their ac- counts, and to supervise this branch of their work at Adelaide, Renmark, and Melbourne, and his work was highly com- mended by a Victorian Parliamentary com- mission, which was appointed to enquire into the system adopted by this firm. After having accepted accountancy posi tions in Western Australia, Queensland, and New South Wales, Mr. Cooke settled down in Melbourne, and after having done valuable work for the North Melbourne Electric Tramways he became associated with the firm of H. C. Stezl, shipping agents, of Melbourne, with whom he re- mained until, his death. In earlier days Mr. Cooke was an active member of the Adelaide Young Men's Society, and played cricket with the Stragglers' Club. In Masonry, he was connected with the Blue and Royal Arch Chapters. His principal hobbies were gardening and the solving of complicated mathematical problems. Shortly before his demise he compiled an "Anno Domini perpetual calendar"—an     ingenious assortment of figures for ascer- taining the week day of each year from the year one to doomsday, and on which the change of dates between the Julian year and the Georgean calendar was ac- curately provided for. The late Mr. Cooke has left a widow and two daughters. He was a brother of Professor W. Ernest Cooke, M.A. (Government Astronomer of New South Wales), and of the Hon. J. H. Cooke, M.L.C., of Adelaide. Mr. Christian Carl Lueders, a colonist of 69 years, died in the Mannum Hospi tal on Monday, after a brief illness. He was born in Germany in 1845, and came with his parents to this State 10 years later. The family settled at Birdwood (then Blumberg), and engaged in agricul tural pursuits. When the land in the Mur ray Flats was thrown open for selection in 1873 Mr. Lueders took up land- at Man num, which he farmed for 51 years. .He retired in I&21. During his long residence in the district the deceased took a great interest in all that tended to the welfare of the locality. He has left four sons —Messrs. Adolph, Charles, and Theodore (Mannum), and Herman Lueders (Tweed vale, ani-^lwo .'daughters— Mrs. F. -W. Busch CW3L), and Mrs. W. A. Gass (Mannum). There' are also 11 grandchQd «'?,??_? VAVr''v.»? ?????????::-? -In. the death* of Mr. John limb, which took place in a private hospital at Ade laide this- week, Gawler lost one of its old identities. The, deceased was born on April 4, 1847, at Chesterfield, Eng land, and came to South Australia when he was two years old. -He arrived in Gawler on April 17, 18W. ' Afterwards he was apprenticed to the blacksmithing trade. He entered the firm of James Martin & Co. as an employe. He was appointed foreman of the blacksmithing department, on the retirement of Mr. James Davey, and later advanced to the foremanship of the- boiler makers and amitas. He finished his active labours as chief storekeeper of the firm. Mr. Limb was a great worker in connection with the Tod Street Methodist Church and Sunday School, having over 50 years' asso ciation with the choir, and a very long record as conductor of Sunday school sing ing. Mi?. Limb was really the originator of the first brass band in Gawler, which developed into Riggs'R Band, which had an existence .of over 60 years. He carried on as poniinfifor until th* 7af» '\Cr

Phil. Cheek relieved him of the post. The deceased was for many years an enthusias tic bowler, and often, participated in league contests on city greens. A couple of years ago he removed with his son into Che river district, but .failing health de manded a return to the city. -The cable! information of the sudden death of ?.lr. Alfred Sheard, of Gawler, while holidaying in England, created con siderable surprise and regret. Later word gave it that the death took place on July 7, and that he was among his friends and people when the end came. Mr. Sheard was one of Gawler's most* prominent busi ness men. Born- at Gainsborough, Lincoln shire, England, on August 30, 1855, he spent his young years with his father, who carried on a. wholesale business in London in Skinner street before the Holborn Via duct was built. Mr. Sheard gained a lot of his mercantile knowledge with his father, and in 18S4 decided to launch out in Australia, reaching this State on Octo ber 24. As a raw colonial he came to Gaw ler to manage the small business of Mr. J. J. Callaghan, with whom he remained, for two years; until. the proprietor retired, when he decided to enter business on his own account. He held- the lease of a couple of small businesses, but when the property of small shops known at Pittard's

shop. Guy's boot shop, and Kinnears saddlery shop came into the market, he bought the lot, and set about to .establish Essex House,' which in 1005 was raised to the very fine bnilding that now adorns Murray street. The business grew with this enterprise, until of past years the firm employed over 20 hands in general drapery and honsehold' requirement*. Throughout these yearn of strenuous effort Mr. Sheard did not neglect the duties of a citizen, and was associated with the town' council, the School of Mines, the institute, bowling club, and literary society,, together with many minor bodies. The Congregational Church had his strong support, and for years he was a worker in the Sunday school. 'A few years ago he removed his residence from Gawler. building his home at Mount Lofty, but he kept up a con nection with the business which was gene rally managed by his two sons, Messrs. H. j L. and V. Sheard. Early in the year Mr. and Mrs. Sheard decided on a {rip to the home country, and at about that time other Gawlerites.also made the decision, the party being Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Pyne, soon followed by Mr. and Mrs. George, of Wasleys. Reference must be made to the last great deed done by Mr. Sheard in the interests of Gawler. After the war, and when the people were seek ing for a suitable way of worthily recog nising; the great services of the soldiers. Mr. Sheard came forward and made a most magnificent gift to the town, being that allotment of land in Murray street, re cently owned by the Gawlef 'Implement Company, for the erectio^ of a memorial institute, the cost of the block at auction being £1,550. The only stipulation made was that the laud had to be worthily oc cupied by a building that had to cost not less' than '£6,000, Traf as a hitch, occurred

in this respect he ultimately withdrew all stipulations and made the land a gift to the institute committee for the purposes named, with the hope that the , people would continue and carry out what, was first intended. In the gift' Mr. Sheard considered-'- that ' he was also enacting a memorial -to his son, Lieut. A.^E. Sheard (Ted)', who paid the price ,in' the Great War. .Mr. Sheard fully established Us fife in Gawler, marrying Miss. Fanner, whose mother was in business ufthe town. There was' a family of three sons and thxtec daughters,? all of whom, with the excep tion of the soldier son, are alive to mourn their great loss. Mr. Dalton, a director of the firm of Dalton Brothers, Limited, merchants, died at Orange yesterday - (telegraphed our Sydney correspondent on Friday). HeTwas born at Orange, but spent 10 years in Ireland, and during that time he was twice' elected to the House of Commons. For a time he practised as a barrister in Sydney. He was aged 63 years. Mr. W. E. Thomas, a Labour member of the Victorian Legislative Assembly for the Division of Glenelg, died suddenly on Friday morning, at his home at Hey wood.. Mr. Thomas was first elected for Glenelg, four years ago, .when he defeated Mr. H. J. M. Campbell, who was then an Honorary Minister. News was received in Adelaide on Fri day of the death of Mr. W. H. Wood head; in London, on July 8. Mr. Wood head, who was about 64 years of age, was for many years a member of the Ade laide-Stock Exchange. He was also a   director of the British Broken Hill Pro prietary Company, Limited, for 20 years. His first connection with that company was in 1894. In 1899 he left Adelaide and became managing director of the Einas leigh copper mine in Queensland, later re joining the British Broken Hill Company as managing director. Before entering the field of mining Mr. Woodhead was an offi cer in the Orient Line of steamers. He married Miss Wallace, of Reynella, and has left one son and three daughters.

Zoom

plus
thumb
minus
left
thumb
right
up
thumb
down