LATE MR. CHRISTOPHER GILES
Though the death of Mr. Christopher Giles, which occurred at his resi- dence, Aldinga, on Tuesday last, Novem- ber 27, in his seventy-eighth year, one
more of the party (whose names appeared in The Register of November 24) which formed the Goyder Survey to the Nor thern Territory in 1968-69 has entered into a well earned rest. Arriving in South Australia by the ship Calcutta in 1849 when nine years of age, with his father (Mr. C. Giles, who was one of the earliest pastoralists in this State, having been the first lessee of Ketchowla Station, which he took up conjointly with Mr H Bou caut in 1853), the late Mr. Christopher Giles had an early experience of the bush extending from Mount Bryan to the Bar rier, in the primitive days, when the want of water caused so much hardship and the ruin of so many of the early squatters. At an early age Mr Giles re- linquished bush life so far as squatting was concemed and joined the late Mr. A. T. Woods to be taught surveying, and both he and Mr. Woods went with the Goyder expedition as surveyors in 1868. In 1870, when the important and hazardous undertaking of constucting the overland telegraph line to Port Darwin was started. Mr. Giles associated himself with Sir Charles Todd, and the mutual friendship and regard then formed con- tinued right up to the late Sir Charles Todd's death, and Mr. Giles remained a faithful servant of the Postal Department until compelled to retire in 1905. on reach ing the age limit. After many heroic struggles against Nature - all provisions for the men employed as well as the wire, posts, and other material having to he carted up as the line progressed right through, the continent-want of water, and surprise attacks from the wild natives of the interior, nine members of the con struction party in all losing their lives, the line was finally completed on August 22, 1872, and South Australia found her self famous through linking up the re mote continent of Australia, with ihe rest of the civilized world and establishing direct daily communication with England. After this great work was finished Mr. Giles remained in charge of the station at Charlotte Waters until 1876, when he was transferred to Adelaide, and for over 20 years presided over the accountancy, branch of the department with its large staff, of officers, to whom he acted as a fond parent. He took particular interest in the juniors, and right up to his death he was held in affectionate remembrance by his late staff. The present chief clerk of the Postal Department in Ade
laid (Mr J. E. Monfries) and Major J. J. Hughes (at present a prisoner of war in Germany) both received their early training under Mr. Giles. A genuinely religious man and a scholar, taking no in terests in public affairs or sport, Mr Giles devoted all his private life to studying the ancient Eastern languages, particularly the early religious writing in Hebrew, Arabic, and Greek. He became a recognised authority on the writings in the Koran and in the Greek Testament. During the past 36 years he had been closely asso- ciated with St Bartholomew's, All Souls' St Theodore's, and the churches at Yan kalilla, Myponga, Glenburn and Aldinga as churchwarden and lay reader. Mr. Giles married the only daughter of the late Mr. William Little, who was articled to the father of the late Hon. J. B. Spence, a solicitor practising at Boxburgh, in- Scotland, and who, after arriving in South Australia, became assayer and manager of the South Austalian Copper Company's smelting works at Port Adelaide, and who lost his life through the foundering of the com pany's vessel, the Jane Flaxman, in the golf in 1850. Mrs. Giles survives her husband, and he has left three daughters —Mrs. G. J. Morley. of Harrow road, East Adelaide and the Misses E. S. and E. E. Giles, of Aldinga. Among many relatives at the front are the brothers Major F. G. Giles, D.S.O, and Qmr?.Sgt. Leslie Giles.