DEATH OF MR. W. FINLAYSON.
A Varied and Useful Career.
The death occurred on Thursday, at a private hospital, of Mr. William Finlay- son, of 72 Finniss street, North Adelaide, at the age of 84 years. Mr. Finlayson
was the second son of the late Pastor Wil- liam Finlayson, and was born at Mitcham in 1841. His father arrived in South Australia by the John Renwick, in 1837, about seven weeks after the colony was proclaimed; He took up 164 acres of land at Upper Mitcham, where he started farm ing. At that time there were about 150 natives camped in the neighbourhood of the Brown hill Creek, in the vicinity of his farm. He was appointed, evangelist and subsequently a co-pastor of the Zion Chapel, Pulteney street, Adelaide. His children, including William, became mem bers of the church, and all took an active part in the work as teachers, leaders of the singing, and so forth. William be- came superintendent of the Sunday schools at Stepney and Zion, and also held the office of deacon and evangelist. His mem- bership with the church dated from 1860. He was educated at the late Mr. J. L. Young's school, and as a young man was employed in the grocery warehouse of D. & J. Fowler. When the firm relin- quished the retail portion of their busi- ness at 70 King William street, about 1870, Mr. Finlayson continued in his own name until the early 'nineties, when he re tired from business, and the establishment was taken over by Crawford &Co. Mr. Finlayson took a great interest in mining, his first introduction being influenced by Mr. W. I. Paull, who was manager of the Blinman Copper Mine, in 1883. In com pany with Mr. Malcolm, who had the management of Duffield's business at Gaw-
THE LATE MR. WILLIAM FINLAYSON.
THE LATE MR. WILLIAM FINLAYSON.
ler, Mr. Finlayson visited Queensland, and after an inspection of a mine at Charters Towers, they returned to Adelaide, where a company was floated. The mine was worked for a number of years with vary ing results. Mr. Finlayson spent a con- siderable sum of money in assisting to develop similar propositions in South Aus- tralia. He also had interests in gold mines in Western Australia, and was local director of a number of companies, includ ing the Associated Gold Mines. Business considerations, however, were, not permit- ted to interfere with that more intense personal desire to assist in the welfare of his fellows. A man of genial disposi- tion, with a fund of good humour, he merited the friendship of many by reason of his, loyalty and un- flinching integrity. He was a firm believer in the inspiration of the Scriptures, and not only did he proclaim the Gospel with earnestness, but in his daily life gave practical expression of his belief that he was 'his brother's keeper,' and, many had cause to be grateful for his kindly counsel and unostentatious acts of generosity. He was a stanch supporter of home and foreign missions, and con tiniued to take religious services until com- paratively recently. For 22 years he, was treasurer of the Royal Institution for the Blind, at North Adelaide; and in resign ing that position in June, 1918, he ex pressed the view that the duties required the attention of a younger man. In ap preciation of his services he was created a life member of the committee. He was very fond of books and pictures, of which he had a fine collection. Mr. Finlayson was twice married. There were two daughters of the first marriage, one of whom, Mrs. W. C. .Calder, of North Ade- laide survives. His first wife died in 1879. By his second wife, who predeceased him in 1917, there are two sons, Messrs. F. W. Finlayson (a member of the staff of the Electrolytic Zinc Company, Tasmania), and R. N. Finlayson (solicitor, of Adelaide). Mr. William Finlayson was the last sur vivor of four brothers. The others, who were also well known in Adelaide, were Messrs. J. Harvey Finlayson, (who was editor and part proprietor of 'The Register' for a number of years), Ebenezer Finlayson, and Pastor R. K. Finlayson (of Zion Chapel). Four sis- ters are still living, namely, Misses. J. C. Finlayson, who is said to have been the first girl born in South Australia), and J. G. Finlayson (of Glenelg), Mrs. Hannah Randell (of Gumeracha), and Mrs. Hubert Nickels (of Forreston).