Mrs. Edith Mary Cleland, wife of Mr. E. E. Cleland, K.C., of Walkerville, died on Saturday night. She was born in South Australia in 1868, her father being
the late Mr. W. P. Auld, formerly of Auldana, Magill, who crossed Australia with Stuart's expedition. Mrs. Cleland was musically inclined, and had a taste for literature. She formerly took an in- terest in the work of the Kindergarten Union, and was highly respected among a wide circle of friends. The surviving mem- bers of the family are two daughters, Misses. I. E. and A. E. Cleland, and one son, Mr. T. E. Cleland, of Beaumont. Mr. E. P. Auld is a brother. Mr. Daniel F. Butler, an uncle of the Premier (Mr. R. L: Butler), died after a seizure at bis residence at Atlielslone on Saturday morning. He was the youngest brother of the late Sir Richard Butler, and a son of the late Mr. Richard Butler, ior many years of Yattalunga (near Gaw lor),- and lastly of Mallala. He engaged in farming at Mallala until some years ago, when he retired and went to Athelstone to reside. Mr. Butler, who was. 63 years of age, never took an active interest in public affairs, but was prominently con nected with the Anglican Church. He has eft a 'widow and two daughters ' (Miss Marjorie -and Mary Butler). Mr. James Bentley Davison' died at the Grange on Saturday-, at. the. age. of 91 years. He was . born near Durham, and came to SoutluAustr'alia.in 1839 with his father, Capt'.Fl-ancis Danson, in the ship Cleveland, -when he was- two 'years old. Capt. Davison settled at Blakiston, near Mount Barker, where he built ? a house chiefly of -.cedarr panels 'imported i'roin .England, and it. is still 'standing. James, his eldest son, was one of tlie ll'scholars who assembled at the opening day of St. Peter's College in 1849, and he was the last of the 11 to pass away.- On rcachinc man hood he engaged for several years fn pas toral pursuits- on land' east 'of -the Murray near Wellington, and later on entered into a partnership at the Burra' under the title of Davison,. Austin, & .Taffrey. In 1884, soon after. the mining discoveries on the Barrier, he moved to Silverton and took up ' a' homestead lease at Purnamoota 18 rniles north of Broken Hill. He carried on business as a grazier for several, years until increasing infiriniites . necessitated his re tiring from business, and finally he re turned to South Australia, where' he lived for some years with his son-in-law,- Mr. trank Ayliffe. at Myponga. and more' re- cently near 'Adelaide. He married Eliza beth, eldest daughter of Mr. R. D. Den ford, of Wellington, and has left a daugh ter, Mrs. Ivan Stewart, of Broken Hill. His eldest daughter, Mrs. Frank Ayliffe, died somo years ago, and his wife pre deceased nim by three years. He was buried at_thc North Road Cemetery on Sunday afternoon. Canon Hewgill ? offi ciated. The. Rev. K. J. F. Biekersleth, head master of St. Peters College, was among those prosent, and placed the blue badge of the school on thc coffin. Mrs.- Hester A. ? Walter, who died at ?fort Augusta recently, at the age of 77 yearn, had been a resident of that town for 30 years. During that period she made many friends. She has left two sons-Messrs. Claude and E. C. Walter and three daughters— Mesdames N. Jones and C Yates, and Miss E. Walter, all of Port Augusta. Mr Sydney Lodge, who had been asso ciated with G. Wood. Son. & Co.. Limited for many years, and who had been a director of the company since its in ception, passed away at his private residence, Cottesloe (W.A.) on Saturday morning. The deceased gentleman had many friends in South Australia. Mrs. Matilda Kite, who died recently at the Memorial Hospital, Hawker, was 78 years of age, and was born near Belfast, Ireland. She and her parents arrived in South Australia in 1858. Her father (Mr. Barnard McPharlin) took up a selection on the Little Para, and followed farming pursuits. In 1865 she was married to- Mr Stephen Kite, at Saltia, and with her Husband and family subsequently resided at Port Augusta West and Blinman farming operations were continued at Ickler Ickler, neav Quorn, but, although excellent crops were grown, scarcely any thing was reaped owing to red rust at tacking the crops. In 1883 Mrs. Kite and her family went to Farina, where she resided ever since. In those days Farina boasted two blacksmith's shops (each em ploying four men), four stores,a doctor, chemist, saddler, bootmaker, and -two hiotels. Approximately 60 teams of horses and bullocks, were permanently engaged carrying, loading to adjacent stations and returning with wool. Mrs. Kite wit nessed the depression in trade which has settled on this little town in the last 30 years She was a member of the Roman Catholic Church, and was'generally be loved. Her husband died 15 years ago. She left three sons-Messrs. T. E. Kite (Wirrabara) S. Kite (Farina), and A. Kite Streaky Bay)-one daughter-Mrs. A. Caldwell (Farina)— an adopted niece Mrs. W. Arnold (Farina)— 17 grand children, and eight great-grandchildren. Mr. Robert Pinnock, who died at Oak- bank recently, was a highly respected resi- dent of the district. He was born at Kensington in 1842 and came to live at Oakbank in 1855 at the age of 13 years. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Pin- nock, arrived in Australia in the ship Surrey in 1838 with one child. The rest of the family of nine children were born at Kensington. Mrs. Barrett, of Kent terrace, Kent Town, is the only survivor. Mrs. Robert Pinnock, whose wife pre- deceased him, has left a son, Mr. Henry Pinnock, of Oakbank, four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. The death is resorted by cable from ^London of the Right Rev ?i'' GefrardT..T.ro^r.. Rector of Chale, Isle of Wight, since 1927. Dr Trowej was Bishop of Christ Church, Sydl ney.. from. 1805 to 1901. .ind Bishop of North-AVest Australia, WIO-'5'