1 correction by anonymous - Show corrections
NOMENCLATURE OF SOUTH - AUSTRALIA.; .
NAME! AND THEIR ORIGIN, - XV.—2LN rALPaABETICAB , [ ? . ? REVIEWi ,-
—Oldest 'CoMfer Mine- in rAhistiaJia.— ' Kapurida is the name given to the first copper mine discovered in South Australia and to the town adjacent.
The word is coined from Cappie oonaa, which means in aboriginal talk j'Vater jump out' — probably a spring. A rich copper lode was discovered in the loca lity in J842 by Charles Samnel Bagot, younger son of Capt Bagot, when gathering- wild flowers on his fathers ran; and a few days later by Francis Stacker Dutton, when mustering some! sheep that bad lxsen scattered by a thunderstorm. A few specimens of oro v/ere ehowir in AdelaWe, a survey was made, and the kind was purchased by Messrs. Bagot and Dutton at the up-r set price of £1 per acre. They subse quently sold to English capitalists. The lirst ore was raised on January 8, 1844, and a town was laid out shortly after by tbe proprietors. Tbe first manager of the mine was Mr. William Oldnam. The metal was so pnre that it brought the best price in the world's markets. Tbe pri mary cause of abandonment was the serious influx of water. Sir Charles Samuel Bagot (he was knighted iu London)' had a distinguished career as a barrister iu the old country, and died comparatively recently. He acted as Secretary to tbe Lord Chancellor for a period, and when the administration of the lunacy laws was entrusted to a commission of :three medical and threa legal gentlemen Sir Charles S. Bagot was appointed to that body. The Hundred of Kapnnda; was te stowed by Governor Young in 1851, ?— More Copper Mining.— Kadina, like two other towns on Yorke's Peninsula, owes it existence to tbe discovery of copper lodes in 18G0 on land held as a pastoral lease from the Crown by the late Sir. W. W. Hughes, who became a large share holder in several mines, and the soie proprietor of one. The survey of the town was made by a Government officer, and it was named Kadina by Governor MacdonneU eariy in 1861. It retains in one word the sound of tne native name of a locality about four miles south of the present town— 'Caddy-yeena' or -lCaddy-inna,' mean icp 'lizard plain.' , , , The Hundred of Kadina was be stowed by Governor Daly; in 1862. '—The Fate of an Earl's Son.— i Kanyaka township represents a cor ruption of a word by which the natives knew a watorhole on Kanyaka Station marked by a large stone at the brink. In 1851 Mr. Hugh Proby, third son of the Earl of Craysfort, took up. 240 square males of pastoral country which
a ijuuricr oi a century later became part of the Hundred of Kanyaka. Mr. Chanlea H. Watts selected the country, and was associated with Hugh Proby. The latter and his per sonal friend (Mr. Probin) came out in the same ship, and lived for a time at -flenelg. Then the station was for med. The couple had been mustering cattle, and by some mischance young Proby's horse took him into the Wil lochra Creek, which was in high flood. The horse escaped, but the rider lost bis life despite gallant efforts on Mr. Probin's part to save him. He was buried at the station, and the grave was enclosed by a heavy post-and-rail fence.. Over tbe grave there is a tab let bearing the following inscription:— 'Sacred to the memory of Hugh Proby, third son of the Earl of Gray forth, who was drowned while cross ing the Wilochra Creek, August 30, 1S52, aged 24 years. 'Take ye heed, watch and pray, for ye know not when the time is'— Mark xiii. 33.' This tab let was placed over the grave by the deceased's brothers and sisters in 1858, Several of Mr. Proby's relatives visited South Australia in* later years and inspected the grave. Shortly be fore Bishop Kennion left South Aus tralia ho received a letter from Lady Claude Hamilton asking him to con secrate the grave. The Bishop's time was so much occupied that he could not personally perform the ceremony, but arranged with, the Rev. F. E. Perrin to consecrate the grave. The ceremony was performed on August 24. 1894, just 42 years less six days after Hugh Proby's death, Mr. Probin qtme out from England specially to be present. Tbe Kanyaka Station became the property of Messrs. Grant and Phillips in 1S52. Mr. J. B. Phil lips kept the horse that Hugh Proby rode before he was drowned for many years after, its name was Squatter. —'The Village of Kensington.'— Kensington, or the village of Ken sington off it waa originally named, by Charles? Catcblove, is situated on .sec tion 289, selected by Anthony Jack son, of ' London (whence ? comes the name), throngh his Adelaide ageri'fc Matthew Smitti', solicitor. The grant was made orit in the name of John Brown, emipraiioa agent and Charles Catchlove. The survey of the village was 'made by J. H. Hughes, in Novem ber, 1838, and allotments were 6old in 1830 from a plan declared to by Mat thew' Smith, John Foster day. and William Williams. The village was laid out in 102 acre allotments, divided by spacious streets running at right angles, intersected by 'Hallett's Rivu let, which will afford the village a plentiful supply of water- nine, months ih:the year.' (Vule The Register of April 13, 1839.) Hallett's Rivulet is the Second Creek of to-day. Up to 1840. only a few persons had made their homes in Kensington, but during the forties 'an impetus was given, to settlement in tbe neighbourhood by the building 'enterprise of Mr: John 'Rolwrts, founder of Clayton Church, in the cemetery attached to which his remains lie. It js recorded that a Mr. Marshall was- the first ? resident of Kensington. His house was situated in what is inow' Wellington street At the .extreme end of High street near the tram sheds, stands a very old habitation, which was the residence of Col. A. ? H. 1 Freeling, formerly Sur veyor-JGreneral. Not 'far away, in Bishop's place, stands what in the late forties and early fifties was Bishop's Court, the dwelling place of the Bight Rev. Augustus Short, first Bishop of Adelaide. Kensington and Norwood were the first suburban townships to receive the boon of separate municipal government The corporation was es tablished by proclamation in The Go vernment Gazette of July 7, 1853. Kensington Park was once fcnown as Litae,rCornwall. ' , ? . , ?? - , —After a. Medical Man.— Kent Town,- one of the most favoured 'residential localities in pie surroundings of Adelaide, was origi nally section 255. It was granted, to George Barnes in October, 1841, and transferred to Robert Torrens in 1846, there havdng been a dispute between r-r. Benjamin Archer Kent and Mr. Torrens coocernteg its ownership.. Dr. Kent was living there in 1840, in a wooden house, to which was attachet a choice garden. He built a flonrmiil near the old brewery. Subsequently the present brewery or 'mattings' was erected on the site of Dr. KeniJs oU residence, and for many years por tions of his ? garden remained in the, shape- of scrubby looking, barren trees. .The last of them disappeared when the paddock at the corner. of Capper street ?was enclosed within the playing area of ^Prince-iAlfrBd^GoHege^rln. JL854«fcv
Charles- Robin and Sir Henry rAyers, as trustees of Dr. Kent had the pro perty surveyed ajid cut into township blocks. Among the firstrresidents were Messrs. F. B. Carlin, S. Beddome [Police Magistrate), W, Rhodes, and A. Blackhom. —The Burra's Spare Name.—1 - ^ Kooringa is the hative and oflicial came for the Burra, It was laid out by Mr. Thomas Burr, .formerly Depoty Surveyor-GeneraL in April, 1848, ana enlarged, as the following note indi cates:— 'Approved as to the bounda ries of the town of Kooringa, part of the Burra special survey, at a meeting, of the directors of the South Australian Mining Association, held the 24th Jan uary, 1860. Henry Ayers, secretary.' Kooringa is -aboriginal for sheaoak and water. The timber mentioned' grew there in abundance in the early^days. — N'axraeoorte's 'Alias.— « Kineraig, another name for Narra toorte, which crops up. most frequently in election returns, is after the birth place iu Inverness-shire, Scotland, of :Le late Mr. W. Mclotosjhl, frrandecof flxs- south-eastern township. _j : —Persecuted Germans.—* Klemzig, on the north side of the Torrens, is repeated from Prussia, On November 16V 183S, the Prince George arrived in South Australia with 200 German emigrants, who had been as: 6isted by George Fife Angas to escape from the religious persecution in the Fatherland. The Germans strongly ob jected to be scattered over South Aus tralia. They wished to settle down together as a body of agriculturists, but owing to ' deflays haying taken place in the survey of the country lands, even many who had arrived earlier, were prevented £rom engaging in agricultural pursuits, and in consequence agrieulaural labourers were at that time largely in excess of the demand. In these circumstances Mr. Flaxman (Mr. Angas's representa tive) took upon himself the responsi bility of settling the Germans upon some land belonging to his principal on the Torrens, a short distance from Adelaide, to which they gaye the name Klemzig, after their native town in Prussia, The Germans proved won derfully industrious people, and their settlement was a complete succes?. During lie last Boer war a proposal was made to change the name of Kflemzig to Powell, in honour of the (hero of Mafeking, but this senseless piece of jingoism was frustrated. The suggestion was a direct 'affront to the memory of these heroic and high minded Germans. The Register wrote of them at the time:— ''Our neighbours are entitled to much consideration from us. Driven from then- native country because they would not yield to that worst form of tyranny which seeks to rivet chains on men's minds and dictate to them their faith, tbev came here, erected their altar among us, and are now presenting us with a model of practical colonization well worthy of onr individual imitation.' The natives called the Klemzig. loca lity Warkowodli wodli. —Originally Spelt Kanguroo Island.— On February 22, 1802, Flinders went ashore from the Investigator, and found a number of dark brown kangaroos feeding beside a wood. He wrote:— 'It would be difficult to guess how many kanguroos were seen, but I killed ten; the rest of the party made up the number to 31 taken on board in the course of the day, the least of them weighing 69 and the largest 125 lb. . . . I scrambled with difficulty through the brushwood and over fallen trees to reach the higher land with the surveying instruments, but, the thickness and height of the wood pre vented anything else from being dis tinguished. There is little doubt how ever, that this extensive piece of land was separated from the continent for the extraordinary tameness of the kanguroos, and the presence if seals upon the shore, concurred with the ab
sence of all traces of men to show that it was not inhabited. . . . The whole ship's company was employed this afternoon in skinning and clean ing the kanguroos, and a delightful regale they afforded after four months' privation from almost any fresh provi sions. Half a hundredweight of heads, forequarters, and tails were stewed down into soup for dinner on thus and the succeeding days, and as much steaks given, moreover, to both offi cers and men as they could consume by day and by night In gratitude for so seasonable a supply I named the south ern land Kanguroo Island.' Flinders's spelling of tbe word has since been altered by a single vowel, and the native name , is Karta, while Baudin bestowed L'isle Decres. —Eai-ljj Settlement— ' Kingscote. .the first settlement on Kangaroo island, bands down the name of Henry Kingscote, a member of the_ first board of directors of the South Australian Hand Company, and first Chairman of Directors of the South Australian Banking Company, which established the Bank of Sonth Australia. Kmgscote was originally called Angas, after the founder of the province. ' Tbe circumstances of the change were explained in the opening chapter of the present series. Kings cote was bestowed on instructions from England , by Samuel Stephens, colonial manager of the South Austra lian Company; and the first' of its settlers to land on Kangaroo Island. —A' Household Name.— Kingston. Lacepede Bay, was chris tc'Dded by Governor MacDonneli after Sir George 'Strickland Kingston, father o£ the late Right Son. Cr C. Kingston. The Port Elliot correspondent of The Register, wrote on February 22, 185S:— 'An enterprising old colonist Mr. A. Cooke, of Wellington, has. started for Lacepede Bay, with a number of mechanics, labourers, &c., and all the requisite stores for commencing a new township on his properly at Maria Creek, to be called Kingston. This spot well known to early colonists as the scene of the most barbarous slaughter of Whites by aborigines that lias ever been known in the colony, is now about to smile with' waving corn, and become a home for industrious settlers.' Kingston . terrace, North Adelaide, had a similar derivation. , —A' Gawler Pioneer.— Tdrnmeht Mr. King arrived-in Janu ary, 1839, in tie Orlea'na with his Wife and two children, one of whom is the widow of the late Mr. G. A. Wilson, Registrar of Probate and Chief Clerk of the .Supreme Court Mr. King and family camped in a tent on lie north park lands while awaiting the com pletion of the Gawler special survey applied for by Messrs. Stephen King, John Reid, Dundas Murray, and Thomas Stubbs. The late Mr. J. H. Angas held Kingsford for many years as the home of his Hereford stud. -? ' — Kalyra.— Knlyra was the native name of Mr. James Brown's 'station in the south east, alsci known as Avenue Range. It means a certain kind of wood grow ing in the locality from which the blacks made spears and other wea pons. Mrs. Jam,es Brown founded the institution at Belair known as Kalyra for the treatment of chest complaints. ? Crumbs of Nomenclature. — Kilkenny is after the city of that name in Ireland— the birthplace of the Archbishop of Adelaide, Most Rev. Dr. O'Reily. We should be glad to hear from any correspondent who can relate liow the name' came to be adopted here. Kilkerran, on Yorke's' Peninsula, in ithe County of Fergusson, was named by Governor Fergusson after his estate in Ayrshire, Scotland. Keynefon and Keyne's Hill, perpetu ate the name of the late Joseph Keynes, successful - pioneer ^pastora-: jlist ? ? '? '?? r j Kincrsford beeps green the name of Stephen King, one of the .pioneers, of the Gawler district, who acquired the Liestatc as. bis jrert-afcrte f£* wWiujpedal
survey of 20,000 acres. He built tner first steam flourmill at tbe Modern Athens. He was afterwards one of the ofllcers in tie Fioniss Administra tion at Escape Cliffs, Northern Terri tory, served as Special Magistrate at Port Augusta, and was 'Inspector of Timber' for the Sonth Australian Go yernment . , Kirton Point, where Port Lincoln s new jetiy is situated, was christened by Flinders after the parish of Kirton in Lincolnshire. The blacks distin guished the place by Punnu Mudla. The Katherine, 1,770 miles north of lAdelaide, on the transcontinental tele grapii line, was named by Stuart on July 8, 1862, in honour of the second daughter of James Chamhws. Kangarilla, south of Clarendon, has been clipped down from Kangooari nilla. It is native for 'place where sheep mother sits down'— 'kanga,' a ewe .with lamb; 'iQa,' the place of sit ting.' It was once the property of Mr. E J Eyre, the explorer, and waefor merty known as Eyre's F3at Kondoparinga, a name best known in dairying circles, is a native word meaning fc.long, winding water, breed ing crawfish between steep banks.' The name was selected by Governor Robe for a hundred in 1846. Kriehauff, the town on the railway line to Morgan, bears the name of the late Hon. F. E. H. W. Kriehauff, who came to South Australia in I&i8, and had a long and honourable Parliamen tary career. Kirkby Island, one of the St. Joseph Banks Group, was named by Flinders iu IS02 after a village in Lincolnshire. Knuckey's Lagoon wns called after Mr. R. R. Knuckey, a member of the overland telegraph party, who is now in Western Australia. Kongorong Hundred has been cut down from the aboriginal word. Koon geronoong— 'the corner of it' Koorine, in the south-east is abori ginal for 'my daughter.' It should be Kooerine. Koomoolop is a native name inade up by the late Me Thomas Warnes,, hav ing no specific meaning as now, pieced together. . Koolywurtie appears on the mop a3. a Government township, a hundred and a point, also named Black Point. Mr. R. Higgins, Laura, wrote:— 'The natives declared that thfci name should not have been applied to the nice coun try which it now represents. It pro perly belong to a rugged, rocky point jutting into the sea.' Kallioota, where the Willochra empties itself, is native for 'ever- green' or 'very green.' Kybybolite is a native name given to a pastoral lease by Mr. E. Townsend in about 1S49. It became the freehold property of Mr. Kiddie, from wnom the Government purchased it for use as an experimental farm. The name is believed to have reference to a remarkable 'runaway boie.' King's Bluff in tbe north-east bears the name of Mr. Fielder King, sonin law of Mr. Alexander MeCulloen, of Princess Royal Station. Kenton Valley is after fhe Kenton in Devonshire. Koppio, the subdivided estate, was named by Governor Daly in 1867. The word was said by Mrs.. Brown to have been aboriginal far 'oysters.' . Kuipara, originally the name of a pastoral lease, is native for 'water, in head—cocoanut' Kanmantoo is a native name origin aily given by Mr. William Giles to a mining property owned by the South Australian Company, which was work ed in conjunction with the Britannia and Paringa Mining Company from 1846 to 1852, during which period 3.410 tons of fair ore was produced. A sub sequent lessee (Mr. W. Bi Dawes) raised 1,900 tons. . Kalangadoo is the name given in 1849 to a station owned by Mr. H. T. Morriss's brother. According to Mr. D. Stewart, of Rendelsham. who is well versed in native lore, the word is evolved from Kelin nurtor (Keli's pool of water)— a pretty , drastic cor ruption. KillanooLa js re native; name given by Mr. Henry Seymour, a pioneer pas toralist of the. south-east in 1S49, to his estate. The meaning is black jay's nest, derived from ICilen oorla. The hundred takes its name from the sta tion, and was proclaimed by Governor MacDonneli in 186L Kadiuriga. the weH-known estate af Sir 'Samuel Way. wns confidently asserted by a correspondent who wrote to The Register on September 30. 1895, to mean 'honeysuckle hills.' Kadla means 'sweet.' and the locality abounded in honeysuckle when the blacks held dominion. Koolunga is a native word probably referring to the red banks of the Rrvtr BrougTiton, east of Hope's Crossing, as well as to Redhill. The hundred was christened in 1SG0. and the town by Governor Musgraye in 1873. Mount Kaisbrfstnhl was bestowed by Menge, the mineralogist after a moun tain in Black Forest Germany. It mrnns Kaiser's Seat ; Keith is the family name of/ lord Kintore, ex-Governor of, Sooth' Aus taUia. .- ? 'V ' Kevin hundred J&XU& tiie name of; the Lite Mr. C.' C. Kingston's adopted son. who predeceased the statesman. ? Kennion hundred -is named after the second Bishop of Adelaide. —Missing / Mea ninfiB.— -. KersbrpQk,' Kopperamannn, . ^