No corrections yet
DEAN OF ADELAIDE.
CANON YOUNG APPOINTED.
The Bishop of Adelaide fRIjjht Rev. Dr. Thomas) has appointed Canon YQunjr, . of St. Paul's, Port Adelaide, to be Dean of Adelaide. 'in succession to the late Dean
Marryat. George Edward Young, the newly ap T^inted Dean, is a man of marked ability, with considerable powers as a preacher, ?who by sterling work has won bis way to 'his present position. He was born near 'Winchester, Hampshire, on February 15, 3852, was educated at the Royal Grammar School. Guildford. and came to Australia in 1875. Although he eame from a clerical family, he did not follow immediately in the steps of his forebears, but spent five shears at station life and passed four years 'in the office of the Wallaroo Mines before iakine holy orders under the Bishop of Adelaide (Right Rev. Dr. Kennioni in 1886. He entered the priesthood the fol ^-winji year, and Avas made curate in charge pt Terowie and the north-east mission in 3887. The following year he was appointed incumbent of Port Pirie, with which was comprised Port Gerraefn and Crystal Brook, and he remained there till 1S91, when he took over the incumbency of Ka punda. with which was incorporated Hamil ton and Eudunda. In IS9i he was appoint ..ed to the rectorship of Christ Church, if&Vnmt Gambier, and to the position of priest in charge of the Holy Cross Church, Mount Gambier, with a mission district at tached, and fulfilled the duties appertain ing to the charge with much satisfaction until the end of 1S05, when he was ap pointed to the rectorship of St. Paul's, Port Adelaide. He was nominated to the posi tion of Rural Dean of the South-East in 3S94, and waa made Archdeacon of Mount Gambier in 1896, but resigned from both, positions on coming to Adelaide. Canon Young settled at Port Adelaide at the be ginning of the present year, and he has al ready won his way to the hearts of the parishioners. He is a son of Canon Peter Young, who was for many years curate to the Rev. John Keble, author of The Chris tian Year, and a brother of the late Canon 'James Young, formerly rector' of Great Qrimsby, Lincolnshire.