Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

2 corrections, most recently by djbcjk - Show corrections




A fatal accident occurred to Dr. Clive Newland, of Morphett Vale, on Saturday, while he was answering, on his motor cycle, an urgent call to Noarlunga. No one actually witnessed the accident, which happened on the railway line, near Mor- phett Vale, about 11 a.m. It appears from what can bo gathered from those who arrived on the scene shortly afterwards, among whom was Mr. Philip R. Lee,

of Grant-avenue, Toorak, that it was con- nected with the passing of the 9.7 mixed from Adelaide about ten minutes before Mr. Lee reached the spot. The first people at the crossing, which is about two miles and a quarter from

The Late Dr. Newland.

Morphett Vale, were an elderly gentleman, two ladies, and their chauffeur in a motor car. It was impossible to see anything of the unfortunate victim until the motor was almost on top of him. The chauffeur immediately went   to a house nearby for assis- tance, but there was only a lady there. When he returned Mr. Lee, who was motoring home from Victor Harbor, ar- rived. About the same time a motor car with four gentlemen passengers reached the spot. The men got the doctor into Mr. Lee's car, and Mr. Lee brought him straight to Parkwynd Hospital, Wake- field-street. Mr. Lee stated on Saturday

afternoon that it appeared to him the doc- tor had been riding his motor cycle against a strong head wind, and must have had his head down, so that he faded to notice to oncoming train, until it was almost upon him. He then evidently swerved sharply   in an attempt to get out of the way over the crossing cattle-pit. When he was first observed he was lying in a heap with his limbs doubled up under him, bleeding pro- fusely from the head, and was in a terribie state. The barbed wire of the cattle-pit was carried ten or twelve yards away, and Mr. Lee surmises that the doctor must have been hit by one of the carriages of the train. It was about 1 o'clock when the sufferer reached the hospital,   and Drs. Poulton, Ray, Scott, and Marten were there to attend to him. It was found that both his legs were broken, that he was suffering from serious skull- injuries, and that   he had been otherwise hurt. His condi- tion was regarded as critical, and it was impossible to do much to relieve the suf- ferer, owing to his serious condition. Mr. Simpson Newland, his father, and Mrs. Newland, were at Victor Harbor, and a message was sent to them to come to the city at once. The doctor's wife was also summoned to the city. The patient re-   mained unconscious, and died shortly be-

fore 6 o'clock.

The railway authorities in Adelaide have not received any report of the occurrence from the officials who were on the train, and telephone enquiries by the secretary to the Railways commissioner supported the view that the enginedriver and guard were unaware an accident had happened.

On Saturday evening Sister Fry, on be-   half of Dr. Poulton, reported to the City Watchhouse authorities the death of Dr, Newland. The cycle was found about 14 yards from the line. When the doctor was taken to the hospital he was in a dying


The Coroner did not consider an inquest


Dr. Newland waa the fourth son of Mr. Simpson Newland. He was born at "Un- delcarra," Burnside, in 1879, and attended Queen's School and St. Peter's College. At an early age he gave promise of great attainments. Bearing a name hon- ored in the community because of his father's splendid service rendered as a pioneer, publicist, and path finder, the son of the distinguished author of "Paving the Way," possessed many of the qualities   which were so conspicuous in his sire. He took his M.B. degree at tne Adelaide Uni- versity, and his M.R.C.S. and L.R.C.P. de- plomas at the London University. Throughout his course he displayed marked natural ability, and the power of applica-   tion which indicate the student tem- perament. By his genial disposition he made many friends, and although an ear- nest wotker he found time for recreation

in the field of sport. He was a man of versatile sympathies, both in his Uni- versity days and in after life.

On his return to Adelaide 15 years ago he married Marjorie, daughter of the late Dr. A. A. Hamilton, and immediately began practice at Morphett Vale, where his many fine qualities found speedy recognition in the high esteem in which he was held. Dr. Newland in his college days was a fine lacrosse player, and was always inte-     rested in cricket. After he took up his residence at Morphett Vale he gave a con- siderable amount of his time to public af- fairs, especially in connection with agri- cultural and horticultural pursuits. At the time of his death he was president of the Morphett Vale Agricultural Society,

which owed much to his enthusiasm. His death will be a great loss to the district, in which he was a familiar figure. He leaves a widow and three sons, the eldest of whom is about 13 years of age.


Kadina, January 25.  

A serious accident occurred at the mill   crossing this morning, when the 11.25 train

from Wallaroo to Kadina collided with a spring-dray, driven by Mr. Alexander Gour- lay, who was accompanied by Mr. Patrick McGahay. The engine struck the back of the vehicle, whicn was overturned. The men were picked up unconscious. Dr. Wilson was on the spot waiting for a train to pass at time of the accident, and rendered immediate assistance. It was found that Mr. Gourlay was suffering from concussion and Mr. McGahay from con- cussion and a broken nose and jaw. Driver Douglas Carr, who was in charge of the train, stated that repeated warn- ings were given, to which no attention was paid. Everything was done to avert the   accident. Mr. F. Bayne, a local resident, was an eye-witness of the collision, and warned the occupants of the vehicle that a train was approaching. The men were conveyed to the Wallaroo Hospital.