Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

4 corrections, most recently by djbcjk - Show corrections


His Excellency the Governor will take the salute on the occasion of the military march through the city to-day at the Town Hall, at 11 a.m. At 2 p.m. his Excellency will plant trees at the Rose Park Memorial Avenue, and at 3 p.m. he will be present at the football match between the members of the 10th and 27th Battalions on the Adelaide Oval. On Thursday evening next his Excellency will hold a Peace celebration dinner at   Government House, which it is impossible to hold on Peace Day on account of other engagements. Next Saturday the Gover- nor will attend the Tattetrsall's Club race meeting at Victoria Park.

Our Melbourne correspondent reports that Mr. Watt, the Acting Prime Minister, who is suffering from an attack of in- fluenza, was yesterday removed to a private hospital. Mr. Watt's condition is no


Captain G. J. C. Dyett, of Victoria, who was at the congress of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers' Imperial League on Friday, elected as president of the league in succession to Senator Lieutenant-Colonel W. K. Bolton, of Victoria, is a native of Bendigo and is 29 years of age. He served in the war in the 7th (Victorian) Bat- talion and was so badly wounded in the battle of Lone Pine, on Gallipoli, that he was left for dead. Under treatment in Egypt, however, Captain Dyett recovered and was invalided home. He then took up the duties of recruiting officer at Ben- digo, where his great ability was soon dis- covered, and he was transferred to Mel- bourne. When the State recruiting com- mittee was disbanded he was appointed organising recruiting secretary for Vic- toria, and in that position he proved him- self an efficient officer. Captain Dyett was recently appointed secretary of the Victorian Trotting Association and has as- sured his friends that his ambition is to devote as much time as possible to the affairs of the league.

The Mayor and Mayoress of Norwood (Mr. and Mrs. Solomons) have issued invi- tations to a ball at the Norwood Town Hall on August 12.

The quarterly luncheon in connection with the Adelaide Chamber of Com- merce will be held on Friday next at the Grand Central Hotel, when Mr. Henry P. Starrett (consul of the Uni- ted States of America) will be the guest of the chamber, and will address members.

Colonel K. Mackay, C.B., D.S.O., who has been on a visit to Adelaide to attend the Returned Soldiers' Conference, left for Melbourne by the express on Friday.

Lieutenant-Colonel P. M. McFarlane, Director of Demobilisation, who has been on an official visit to Adelaide, left for Melbourne by the express on Friday.

Mr. James Symonds Hawkes, of Sydney, whose death is announced this morning, was at one time a well known resident at Port Adelaide. As a lad of 13 fifty years ago he entered J. L. Young's Adelaide Educational Institution, and became a successful student in geometry and algebra, and for three years was a regular prize- taker. Old scholars will remember him as "Geometry Hawkes." When he left the principal highly complimented him on his proficiency in mathematics; in his expe- rience two or three pupils had gone a little farther than Hawkes, but none had so rapidly grasped these subjects. At a little

over 16 he entered the service of Messrs. Robin and LeMessurier, timber merchants, of Port Adelaide, and at 18 became the accountant. Twelve months later the owner of the business (Mr. Theophilus Robin) died, and Mr. Theodore Hack took over the management of what then became known as Robin & Hack. Mr. Hawkes re- mained in the service for ten years, and being a fair athlete he played every season with the Port Adelaide Football Club. His attention, however, was attracted by the silver finds at Silverton, and he threw up his occupation to become a mine- ral prospector. In a few months he tra- velled overland to Sydney, where his mathematical talents soon brought more congenial employment. For nearly thirty years he was one of the busiest civil engineers in New South Wales. His first job was superintending the erection of the well-known Hotel Metropole for the contractor, then followed superintendence over many other palatial buildings, as well as bridges, mining plants, and other en- gineering work, including various jobs for the State Government. He was the   first in Australia to construct the giant cranes used nowadays on the larger class of lofty buildings. In later years his activity became impaired by attacks of acute   rheumatism, and after 1916 his complaint confined him to his home. After three years of suffering, cheerfully borne, his life suddenly ended on Friday, the 11th inst., through heart failure, in his 64th year. He was twice married, and leaves a widow, and ten children by his first wife (nee Codling), three daughters, all married, and seven sons, five of whom volunteered for active service, but two were rejected. Two of the three boys just got home, and the eldest was passing through Adelaide on Tuesday last when he was informed of his father's death. His only brother, Mr. J. H. M. Hawkes, is well known in Adealide as manager of Fowler's Lion factory, and an only sister, Mrs. E. A. Humpherys, resides at Pros-


Lieutenant-Colonel G. Weick, D.S.O., left for Brisbane by the express on Friday. He is on leave, and will go to Liverpool, New South Wales, in August to take charge of the Camp of Instruction.

Captain R. H. Hayes, who has been in Adelaide on departmental business, left for Melbourne by the express on Friday. He expects to be in Adelaide again early in August.  

Sub-Lieutenant Ivo Thompson, a son     of Mr. W. T. Thompson, of Walloway, has been mentioned in dispatches by Sir Douglas Haig. Lieutenant Thompson was a member of the 58th (Victorian) Batta-


Brother Barnabas, head of the Marist Brothers' School at Port Adelaide, re- turned to duty on Tuesday, after an illness expending over three months. He was at- tacked by pneumonic influenza at Easter, and for some time was on the dangerous list at the Exhibition Isolation Hospital. On reaching convalescence, eight weeks ago, he left on a visit to his mother, at Kilmore, Victoria. He returned last Saturday. His health has been greatly improved by the change.

A Military Cross has been awarded to Major W. J. B. Phillips, of Adelaide, for "conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty   on the 6th and 7th September, 1918." Dr. Phillips worked continuously for 48 hours in charge of the evacuation of the wounded from the forward aid posts. Al- though the area was heavily shelled, he got his ambulance cars right up, and cleared the wounded with great rapidity. His energy and perseverance set a splen- did example to those working with him. Dr. Phillips is a son of Mr. J. H. Phillips, of "The Advertiser" Office.

The Port Adelaide staff and employes of the Globe Timber Mills Company as- sembled in the Port Adelaide yards on Thursday to bid farewell to Mr. Frank Parks, the branch accountant, who is leaving to take an extended holiday, on account of his health. In presenting Mr. Parkes, on behalf of the employes, with a Morris chair, the branch manager, Mr. C. Hodge, sen., referred to his excellent   qualifications and the good feeling which exists between him and his fellow-em-   ployes. He expressed regret at the un- fortunate circumstances which had led Mr. Parks to resign. Messrs. P. Knee- bone, S. Holland, George Williams, and J. Rees, sen., supported the remarks. On Friday three of the partners in the firm bade farewell to Mr. Parks at the Ade- laide office, and handed him a choque for £100, as a token of their appreciation of 34½ years' faithful service. Mr. T. H. Ho- bin said Mr. Parks had always had their   confidence, and they regretted the cause of his resignation. They hoped his health might so improve that he would be able to return to their service.

The Mercantile Trade Protection Associ-   ation reports that probate has been gran- ted in the following estates:—Jacob Allen Blyth, £2,610; Elsie Elizabeth Brookman, Prospect, £1850; Samuel Chalk, New Parkside, £1,160; Christoff S. G. E. Droge-

muller, Magill, £2,000; Lilian May Flem-   ing, Blackwood, £600; Emma Louisa Glas- son, Lyndoch, £612; William Graham,

Gawler, £3,600; Richard Hahn, Adelaide,   £900; Agnes Williams Hamilton, Glen-

burnie, £900: Robert Harvie, Tarcowie,   £6,650; Nikelais Kildaei, Prospect, £650;   Joseph Mcinerney, Jamestown, £2,800; William Ernest Matte, Kent Town, £2,200; Rosina Caroline Pfitzner, Tanama, £2,300; Ellen Radford, Adelaide, £1,500; Alexan- der Scobie, Crystal Brook, £770; Edith Eddleston Williams, Adelaide, £650. Let-  

ters of Administration—Thomas Carroll, Mount Lofty, £695; William Joseph Er-   nest Kimbrodt, Rosslyn Park, £750; Wil-   liam Henry Gorman, Port Adelaide, £850;  

Duncan Campbelt Hendry, Yal-ia, £900;     Johann Hermann Hoffmann, Greenock,  

£850; Charlotte Hutchison, York, £600; Susanna McMillan, North Croydon, £540; Maurice Campbell Malcolm, Kangaroo Flat, £700; Arthur John Richardson, North Tinier, £500; Bryce Simpson, Glen- elg, £750; Charles Henley Smith, Warner- town, £1,400; Albert Watts, Malvern,


Mr. Henry Dariington Dennis, of Crystal Brook, completed his 80th year on Monday. A number of relatives met at the invita- tion of Mrs. F. G. Johnson, to do him honor. He was born at Adelaide in 1839, and went to Crystal Brook in 1873, where he has resided ever since. The family pos- sibly constitute a record. His ten bro-       thers and sisters are all alive, and the youngest is 65 years old. Although suf- fering from deafness, he shows remarkable activity. His hobby is his garden, which is second to none in the district. He does all his own digging, pruning, and planting, and achieves fine results. Last year he took first prize for potatoes and both prizes for oranges at the Crystal Brook show. He will exhibit again this year in the same sections. His wife died in 1910. He has eleven children living.

Our Wellington correspondent reports that Captain Hall Thompson, naval adviser to the Government, is under orders to pro- ceed to England. Commiander T. A. Wil- liams will succeed him.  

At a meeting of the Public Library Board on Friday Mr. H. W. Marshall was appointed assistant general secretary, and also acting general secretary, during the absence at any time of the general secre- tary. Mr. Marshall joined the staff early in 1900, and resumed duty in November, 1918, after two years' service at the front with the A.I.F. The change which the Public Library Board has now confirmed was desired by Miss L. M. Harwood, who was held the appointment of acting general secretary since 1912, but who thought that Mr. Marshall was more particularly capable of serving it in that position than she was, in view of all the circumstances. The board, in making the change, placed on record its thorough approval of the hugely efficient and zealous manner in which Miss Harwood had performed the duties of act- ing general secretary on every occasion when her services in that capacity had been required.