A WORTHY CITIZEN.
Death of Mr. John HILL.
By the death of Mr. John Hill on Saturday, at his home, Stanley street, North Adelaide, the State has lost one of its most worthy
citizens. Mr. Hill was in his eightieth year, and until a month or two before his demise lived a life of useful activity. He was born at Walkerville on March 6, 1847, and was educated under the tuition of the Rev. Mr. Mercer, a Scots Presbyterian minister at Alberton. Towards the end of the 'fifties he entered the service of his father, who nominally as Henry Hill & Co., had the contract for the conveyance of goods on the railway. After having spent some time in the office, Mr. Hill was given the outside manage- ment of the business. In 1868 Cobb and Co., of which firm Mr. Henry Hill was
a member, bought out the coaching busi- of Mr. William Rounsevell. There- upon Mr. John Hill left the goods depart- ment and joined Cobb & Co. to assist in the management of the concern. Five years later Cobb & Co. sold their connection to John Hill & Co. The new firm comprised Messrs. John Hill, H. R. Fuller, and George Mills. The first- named gentleman had the active manage- ment of the whole organization. Gradually the business was extended until 1882, when it was disposed of to a joint stock company styled John Hill & Co., Limited. Mr. Hill arranged with the provisional directors to manage the busi- ness for five years. At the expiry of the term he continued to hold office, and the business became very extensive. There was not a settled portion of the State which was not reached by the firm's coaches. Considerable enterprise was manifested in the opening up of new districts. Railways, of course, interfered with some of the more lucrative lines; for instance, that to the south and south east. No sooner did that service pay than the company undertook to convey passengers from Terowie to Broken Hill. Again they were thwarted, this time by the railway to the Barrier, but the pluck of the company was un- daunted, and large livery and letting stables were established at Broken Hill. At various times more than 1,000 horses were in work at once. The Mount Plea- sant and Willunga coaches were the last of tbe familiar horse-drawn vehicles to be seen on the roads. A little more than a decade ago the firm amalgamated, with H. Graves & Co.. and was known as Graves, Hill & Co., Limited. A Former Railways Commissioner. In April, 1888, the late Mr. Hill was appointed a member of the Board of Rail- ways Commissioners, a position which he held for seven years. His colleagues were Messrs. J. H. Smith (a railway expert from England, who was Chairman of the Board) and A. S. Neill, both of whom predeceased him. At the end of his term he resumed his connection with the firm of Hill & Co. Upon his rail- way appointment at a salary, of £1,009 a year, Mr. Hill was tendered a farewell banquet by his employes, and both direc- tors and men referred to his honourable and straightforward conduct of the busi- ness, and presented him with an illumi- nated address. Among other activities the late Mr. Hill was for two years President of the Royal Agricultural Society, in 1905 and 1908, and several months ago he was made a life member. He was Chairman of the finance committee and a member of the horse committee for more than 30 years. Mr. Hill was a prominent member of the Pirie Street Methodist Church for more than 60 years, and held numerous offices in connection with the church and Sunday school. On the occasion of the golden anniversary of his wedding in Octo- ber, 1917 he was presented by the Rev. Henry Howard, on behalf of various church friends, with a purse of sovereigns. He was thrice elected a member of the General Wesleyan Conference — at Christ- church (N.Z.) in 1884, at Sydney in 1890, and Adelaide in 1894. He was at one time a member of the Board of Trustees of the Savings Bank. The late Mr. Hill took a keen interest in healthy sports, particularly cricket, and his score of 102 not out for North Adelaide against the Kent Club on January 30, 1878, entitled him to the distinction of having made the first century on the Ade- laide Oval. He was a member of the Adelaide Oval Bowls Club for many years. A Large Family. Mrs. Hill died in 1921 at the age of 71 years. Of a family of eight sons and eight daughters, 12 children survive— Messrs. Peter Hill (East Adelaide), Arthur (Plymp- ton), Frank (East Adelaide), Clement (Millswood), the famous cricketer, who is visiting England), Roy (Eastwood), and Stanley (London). Mesdames W. G. Smith (Angaston), W. G. Kither (Sydney), A. H. Goode (Unley Park), A. R. Watson (Walkerville), and L. W. Hack (North Adelaide), and Misses Lily and May Hill (North Adelaide).