THE LATE MR. JOHN BOWMAN.
Another or the early pioneers of South Australia, in the person of Mr. John Bow- man, died at his residence, Carolside, Ho- bart. on Friday. August 3. The late Mr.
Bowman and his father and brothers were prominent amongst those who, by their pluck and perseverance, did much to place the colony in the position which it occupies to-day. Mr. John Bowman was born in Cumberland, England, and accompanied his parents to Tasmania. His father having resided in Tasmania for some years and acquired several properties there, sent his oldest son, Edmund, to South Australia, with a view to enquiry into its suitability for settlement. Edmund having been satisfied that the country presented a good opening, brought over to the colony a number of horses, and early in 1839 the two younger brothers. John and William, who were then only 13 and 11 years of age respectively, came over in charge of sheep. Having landed near Largs Bay, the boys had to endure all the hardships of the earliest South Australian pioneers. Wild dogs were a source of con- stant annoyance, and the sheep had to be most carefully guarded. Soon after land- ing the plucky lads joined their brother Edmund. Their father presently journeyed here with a frame-house made in Tasmania, which was thereupon erected at Islington. Later on land was taken at Enfield, then known as Pine Forest, where a house of pine with thatched roof was built for the family. At the end of 1839 the family took up their abode at Pine Forest, and for a few years agricultural pursuits combined with sheepfarming were carried on. As the sheep increased, a station was formed at Willunga, whither a number were removed. Another station was established at Dry Creek, close to the site at present occupied by the Stockade, while still another was formed between this place and the foot of the hills. Feed here was abundant, but wild dogs caused a great deal of trouble. Here the younger brothers, with a shep- herd, were stationed. In 1844 runs on the head and foot of the Wakefield, known then as the Higher and Lower Stations, were taken up. Then ''Martindale,' a piece of land on the Wakefield, was pur- chased from Messrs. W. and J. Browne. The increase of the flocks led to Edmund being told off to carry on the town business, while John and William managed the sta- tion work. In 1856 Crystal Brook was bought from Mr. Younghusband and man- aged by the three brothers, John, William, and Thomas Bowman. In this place the brothers spent twenty years of exceedingly hard work. The great droughts of 1865-6 and 1869 swept the northern runs of most of the sheep, and many squatters were ruin- ed, or migrated to New Zealand, Queens- land, and New South Wales. In 1873-4 the lake properties of "Poltalloch" and "Camp- bell House" were purchased from Sir John Malcolm, of Poltalloch, Scotland. In the later years of his life Mr. Bowman had made Carolside, near Hobart, his place of abode in summer, and the winter of last year he spent with his brother's sons in Gippsland, New South Wales, and South Australia, or at his own estate "Poltal- loch."