Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

4 corrections, most recently by ShirleyMadge - Show corrections


»Ihe Ex*ecutive_ Council on Friday reap toorated Sir E-"T\ Smith and Mr. A. Mc- Donald, M.P., to be membärs of the Board of Commissioners for tne National tar*.

Mr. John Gardner (Federal Public S-r-1 rite Inspector) nd Mr. E. W. B*amole ÎDP.M.G.) att-ided the funeral of Mr.

¡- A. Roberts' as representatives ot the Federal service in Adelaide.

.Acting on the recommendation of the - "Public Library Board' the .Executive Coun

* eil on Thursday appointed Professor G. C.

Henderson to be an honorary commissioner to enquire into and report upon the method of collection classification and storage if

archives adopted in Great Britain and tue | Continent of Europe. Professor Hende.*

eon proposes to leave Adelaide early m the I

anew year for an extended trip. He has |

been granted leave of absence by the coun

«il of the University of Adelaide and the ] ^ Public Library Board.

Mr. W. H. Sharland, who has been ap- pointed to succeed the Rev. Dr. Burges« as' secretary of the Children's Hospital, h the eldest son of the late Mr. W. H. Sharland, of Donaldson, Andrews,* & Shar- land. He is a native of. South Australia, and on leaving school was connected with the softgoods trade. Dut, not finding it congenial, "joined the South Australian Company as junior clerk. After 25 years' service, under three different managers Messrs. J. Brin, H. Y. Sparks, and H. P.

Moore-during the last 10 of which he oc-,) cupied the position of accountant and sec

Mr. W. H. Sharland.


rttary .to the Local Board of Advice, m ' '1903 he started on 'his own account in * Steamship Buildings, being appointed the - local representative of the Lamson Paragon

Company, of Melbourne, for whom he has visited nearly all the towns in this S:ate and*> Western Australia. For many years I 3fr. Sharland resided in North Adelaide,

«nd waa,connected with the Archer-street {Methodist Church, holding, the offices of ?secretary to .tjhe trust and superintendent of the Stinday^chool. He lives at Unley "Parki *>

Feeling preferences was made to the death t>f Mr. E. A. Roberts, M.H.R., at the meeting of the Port Adelaide City Council on .'Thursday evening. The Mayor (Mr. J. ' li. Clouston) said Australia had lost one ' of its foremost pojiticians. He was one of

the finest and cleanest Parliamentarians thit'nad entered the .legislative halls for tnány years. It was decided that a letter cf sympathy be sent to the widow and family. ^ ,

,The "victorian and'New South Wales 1 delegates to the "Australian Dried Fruit

Association Conference, held in Adelaide during «the week, left" by the express on i vFriday.

The annual report of the Institute for the Blind; and Deaf and Dumb records with, "deep- regret the illness of the vice president (Mr. William Bickford). In

consequence of his illness Mr. Bickford has been unable to take that active interest in the affairs of the institution which has  

been characteristic of his long service. We are, however, pleased to learn that his health is improving, and we express the hope that he may soon be able to again take his place on the board. We extend to him and to the members of his family our sincere sympathy."

'Mrs. J. A. Good, of 'Olive Cottage, Kenilworth-road, Parkside, celebrates her ESth birthday on Monday. She is an old colonist, having arrived in South Aus- tralia with her late husband (Mr. Jephthah Good) in the John Steadfast in November, 1852. 3Ir. Good died four years-ago. Mrs. Good formerly lived at Strathalbyn and Alma Plains, but for the last l8 years she has resided at Parkside..

The death of the late Captain Henry David Dale, of Woodville, was referred to at the meeting of the Port Adelaide Citv Council by the Mayor (Mr. Clouston) on Thursday evening. He said Captain Dale was a very old identity, and was much re- spected in Port Adelaide. In the first place, he was in charge of the brig Hero, and subsequently he established himself in Port Adelaide as a merchant and ship- owner. One of the finest streets in the city of Port Adelaide was named afier him. It was resolved to send a letter of con-

dolence to the relatives. | Mr. Malcolm McPherson, whose death

occurred / on' Tuesday last at the age of I 80 years, v was widely known throughout the Bute district. He was born in 1833 in Scotland, and' worked as ship's car- penter there until I860, when he sailed for Australia in the Strathdown. He at once proceeded to Tarlee, where he worked for two years, and was manager cf Saltia station for ¿he late Mr. Chas. Swinden during thÇi great drought. He afterwards removed to Alma Plains, and began farming on his own account. In 13888,he wenfrto hundred of Ninnes, where le. resided for the rest of his life. He , left .two sons (Mr. Malcolm McPherson. of Bute, and Mr. Kenneth McPherson, of .Yongala), and a 'daughter (Mrs. H. A. Paynter, , of Doodlakine, Western Aus- tralia).^ ,

The Executive Council on Friday ap- pointed Mesdames Susan Mary Compton and-Marguerite Rose Hewitt, Dr. C. W. Hamilton, and Mr. W. Hutley to be mem- bers of the State Children's Council.

After an illness extending over many months, Detective William H. Northridge, died at his residence, West-terrace, at 5 o'clock on Friday morning. He was an Irishman, and was born on Feb- ruary 23, 1860. On May 1, 1884, he jointd the Metropolitan Police > Force. Prior ¡o leaving Ireland he was connected with the Royal Irish Constabulary, and. that cx peritKce proved .of valuable assistance, on entering the local force, -lie was made a second-class detective on. July 1, 1903, and was promoted to the senior rank on New Years Day. 1906. He took a great d¿al of pains with his work, which he performed with conspicuous bravery. Ile had many important cases to deal with, and early showed his ability as a detective. It will be remembered that Detective Northridge distinguished himself on January 10, 1903, by arresting without assistance one of the .most desperate 'lawbreakers, with whom the police have -had to deal, namely, George Browrit The bravery shown by the officer on this occa-ion was rewarded in a practical manner by the citizens, iwho raised a subscription amounting to £125. That amount wa* presented to him by the then Governor-(Sir George Le Hunte), at the monthly parade of the metropolitan police. An address, accompanying the pre- sentation, stated that Detective Northrn'ge toad 'a struggle with his prisoner, which occupied about a quarter of an hour, and . Brown made 'use of his revolver several

times. The officer, however, succeeded m holdipg the-man's arm in such a position that the weapon could do him no harm. He -was anxious to take Brown alive, and therefore did not bring into play his own firearm. The detective's enftmnter wa» with a man of more than ordinary strength, for Brown was well proportioned and powerful. The deceased had been connected with the citric; force since be en- ter«! the service. He was higMy re- garded among his fellow-officers, and his death w.Hl be greatly regretced. He left a widow, three daughters,, and two sons.

The Rev. E. S. Tuckwell, B.A., pastor .of the Semaphore Bantis't Church, who

baa been, reculera ting in the hills, has so far recovered from nis recent operation .s to be able to resume active work.

*Mr._.W. Berry, secretary of the South Australian branch " of 'the Australasian Institute of Marine Engineers, left for Sydney,, on Friday to take part in a con- ference J of delegates . from branches throughout the Commonwealth.

All sales were suspended at the abat- toir saleyards for ten minutes on Wed- nesday out of sympathy for Mr. Robert Symons, grazier, of Fullarton-road, Mit- cham, whose son, Joseph Charles. died the previous day. Mr. Symons, jun., was well known popular.