Death of Mr. R. Robertson. RENMARK. Tuesday.
The death of Mr. Robert Robertson of Chowilla Station, occurred on Sunday. He' was born at Lyndoch on November 5, 1847, His father was a sea captain, and
died when young Robertson was only six weeks old; The family removed to Turret- field, where his mother married Mr. Richard Holland, who had the famous R. H. line of horses. The Robertson Bro- thers secured Bookpurnong Station from Messrs. Chambers & Blades, but later sold that station, which was carrying 1,800 sheep, to Mr. A. B. Murray. The bro- thers carried on at Chowilla and Book mark afterwards, and Mr. William Robert son left for a Nickavilla Station, Queens- land. Another station (Caliamurinna) was acquired on Mr. W. Robertson's advice, but it proved a failure. Mr Robert Robertson wrote the cheque for £15,000 when the brothers presented Turretfield to their mother in 1898. Mr. John Holland Robertson and Mr. Robert Robertson dissolved partnership, and Mr. John carried on at Bookmark, which name was changed to Calperum, and Mr. Robert carried on at Chowilla until 1919, when be formed Chowilla into a company. Mr. Robert Robertson, although he never learned a trade, was remarkably handy with tools and carpentry work. He did all the joinery, roofing, and all the woodwork at both Chowilla and Book- mark, and, like his brother, was famous for the violins he made. Robert made three violoncellos and a violin. The cabin work of the Lotus was also his work. Robert was a wonderful pigeon shot and won many trophies in Melbourne and else where with his well-known Purdey gun. He was also an excellent rifle shot, and won a match at Smithfield, using the left shoulder, as his right was blackened while practising. He was educated, at the Adelaide Educa- tional Institution (John L. Young). He married Miss Adelaide. Mary Harvey, of Blanchetown, in 1878, and there are six children living— William Arthur Robert- son, of Chowilla; Robert Robertson,. Con doblin district; John Harper Robertson, Glenloth, O'Halloran Hill; Douglas Rob ertson, Ockley. Nuriootpa; Mrs. Adelaide Mary Lang, Wiela, via Renmark; and Mrs. Kathleen Du Rieu, Twenty-eighth street, Renmark. .