REUNION OF OLD SCHOLARS.
THE DIAMOND JUBILEE.
Sixty years ago last month there was
established in Adelaide an institution that
for nearly 30 years occupied a prominent place in the educational life of this city - the late Mr. John Lorenzo Young's school, styled "The Adelaide Educational Institu- tion." And to-night old scholars of that establishment will foregather from nearly all parts of the Commonwealth to honor the memory of one they loved so dearly, and whose influence, though he has been dead these 30 years, still lives in the com- munity. -
Mr. Young, whose photograph appears
above, claimed Cornwall for his native land, and received part of his education at King's College. He devoted a con- siderable amount of time to the study of engineering, science, and mathematics, and before coming to Australia he tra-
The late Mr. J. L. Young.
velled extensively on the Continent. Shortly after his arrival he felt the al- lurements of the Victorian goldfields, and spent a couple of years in the neighboring State. Upon his return to Adelaide he took up the teaching profession as the se- rious business of his life, opening his edu- cational establishment in a small building at the rear of the old Ebenezer Chapel, at the east end of Rundle-street. In the management of this school he was ably assisted by his brother (Mr. Oliver Young)
and Mr. Thomas Bennett. Afterwards it was conducted in Stephens-place, on the site now occupied bv Messrs. Good, Toms, and Co.'s warehouse and when the Stow Memorial Church was built the Adelaide Educational Institution found a home in the old Congregational Church building in Freeman-street, where Messrs. Simpson and Sons' factory now stands. During all these years boarders were accommodated at his home in Young-street, Parkside where eventuallv the school was conducted, the latter address.
Towards the close of the year 1880 Mr.
Young, whose brother had returned to Cornwall, decided to close the school and revisit his native land. His wife and family preceded him on the homeward journey, travelling via the Cape of Good Hope, and he sailed in the ship John Elder in 1881. Buring the voyage he suf- fered a good deal from sciatica, and on the evening of Julv 26 died in the Red Sea from an apopletic seizure. His re- mains were buried at Eca.
Throughout his long career he had many convincing evidences of the love enter- tained for him by his scholars, and prior to his departure he received a presentation of over 300 sovereigns from old scholars in all parts of the State. In those days Mr. Young's educational establishment was one of the three principal teaching insti- tutions in Adelaide, and its roll included the names of many scholars who later in life played ah important and honored part in the business and public life of South Australia, and, indeed, of the Common-
wealth; for they are now to be found in all quarters of Australia. It is interest- ing to know that the first scholar entered at the school in August, 1852, was the late Mr. Caleb Peacock, afterwards Mayor of Adelaide and a distinguished citi- zen. The second to be entered was Mr. John Partridge, who, it is under- stood, will attend to-night's jubilee gather- ing. Another prominent scholar was the Right Hon. C. C. Kingston, who attained very high rank indeed in Australian pub- lic affairs. Scores of others now promi- nently identified with public movements and business enterprises all over Australia could be named. Among these are his Honor Mr. Justice Murray, who recently was appointed to tne Supreme Court bench of South Australia; Mr. Mortimer Giles (Registrar-General of Deeds at the Lands Titles Office), Mr. L. H. Sholl (Un der-Secretarv), Mr. J. W. Jones (secretary to the Commissioner of Public Works). Mr. R. W. Smith (Deputy Commissioner of Taxes), Dr. R. E. Harrold, Messrs. W. B. Carr (chairman of the Adelaide Stock Exchange). B. A. Moulden, S. J. Jacobs, P. Wood, W. H. Phillipps, F. Johnson, A. W. Marshall, W. and H. Bickford, F. W. Bullock, M. S. Clark. F. W. Sims, H. W. Smith. J. T. Fitch. E. S. Hughes, R. B. Robin, James P. Roberts, W. Gollin (head of the firm of Gollin & Co., Sydney), W. Sandover (Perth, W.A.), and hun- dreds of others scattered throughout the land.
Since the movement was inaugurated for the celebration of the diamond jubilee a suggestion, made by Mr. Gollin, of Syd- ney, that a Universitv scholarship should be founded in honor of their old master has been taken up with enthusiasm. Mr Gollin has promised £25: Mr. Sandover,
of Perth, another £25; Mr. Jacobs a simi-. lar amount, and another like sum from an anonymous donor brings the total already promised up to £100, so no doubt the scheme will be finalised at an early date. A motion to appoint Messrs. S. J. Jacobs. P. Wood, J. T. Fitch, and E. S. Hughes a committee to give effect to the proposal will be submitted to the gathering to- night. Thus will the memory of a much
loved schoolmaster be kept for ever green
It is requested that at the reunion so- cial to-night all old scholars should write in the roll-book their names and addresses, together with the years of entering, and leaving the school.