Our Sydney correspondent telegraphed last night that the Governor-General (Lord Northcote) will hold a levee at Fede- ral Government House, Melbourne, on July
This afternoon his Excellency tne Gover- nor will leave Adelaide for Broken Hill. He will take the train from the Barrier to- morrow night, and will then proceed to Quorn, where he will be met by the Rail- ways Commissioner and other officials <>f the department. With them his Excel- lency will proceed to Oodnadatta, and he will return to Adelaide on Friday evening.
His Excellency the Governor-General wiil hold a levee at Government House cn July
27 at noon.
Mr. George Laughton, who died at his residence, Gilbert-road, Walkerville,- on Thursday last, was one of the leading men in stock and station circles in South Aus- tralia. Born in January, 1836, he arrived in South Australia on April 21, 1S57, and for some years he occupfed positions in the National and Unior. Banks. The :irm
of Laughton, Donn, and Laughton, of which | he was the principal partner, was estab-1 lished many years ago, and became one of the best-known in the city. Subsequent to the dissolution Mr. Laughton carried on business on his own account, but for some years he had not taken an active part in it. Mr. Laughton had lived a quiet life. He occupied the position of chairman of the Walkerville District Council for some time, bul apart from that office he had never taken a prominent part in public affairs. In 1861. he was married to Miss Pink, and his wife died about two years ago. Mr. Robert Laughton is a son, and Mrs. E. C. Muecke is a diughter. The de- ceased gentleman had been out for a drive on Thursday, and appeared to be in his usual health. His son-in-law was chatting with him during the evening, and a few minutes after Mr. Milecke left Mr. Laugh- ton was found dead in him armchair. The news of Air. Laughton's death was not made public, and the funeral was quietly conducled on Saturday.
General regret will be felt throughout the State at the news of the death, at the agi of about 06 years, of Mr. John Murray, the well-known ^ pastorahst, of Rhine Park. Mr. Murray was the eldest son of the late Mr. John Murray, of Mount Crawford, whose name has become famous throughout Australasia as the foun- der of the stud of Murray Merinos. When that fine old gentleman died the es- tate was divided equally among the four sons, Mr. John Murray receiving the Khinc Park estate and a fourth of the sheep; Mr. T. Hope Murray, Mount Beevor; Mr. A. J. Murray, Mount Crawford; and Mr. W. A. Murray, Cappeedee. The deceased had earned on pastoral operations at Rhine Park for many years, and his great succest has frequently been evidenced by the num ber of valuable prizes and championships won by his sheep at the'Royal shows and at exhibitions of other prominent agricultural societies. Mr. Murray was generally recog nised as one of the best judges of sheep in
the State. He had been intimately con nected with the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society of South Australia foi a great many years, and in 1901 he wah honored by being appointed president 01 that body, a position which he retained for two years. He was born in 1842 ion board ship while his parents were on the voyage from Scotland to Austral'a. The lattet settled at Mount Crawford in 1843. When the deceased was married to Miss Mary Scott, daughter of Mr. Thomas Scott, of "Deloraine/' near Kersbrook, he took charge of the Rhine Park portion of his father's estate. He had been a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church at Mount Pleasant, of which he was an elder. For many years he had been its delegate on the Presbyterian Assembly, at the last meeting of which, at the beginning of May, sympathetic reference was made to his protracted illness, which was the cause of his absence. A widow and family survive him. The sons are Messrs. J. L. Murray (Rhine Park), W. S. Murray (who has been in charge of Cappeedee station.,
of which he became lessee on the death of Mr. W. A. Murray, and Mr. J. E. Mur- ray (Rhine Park). The daughters are Mrs. McDonald (wife of Mr. A. J. Mc- Donald, manager of Canowie station), and Misses E. R., H., and M. Murray.
Our Melbourne correspondent tele- graphed last night:-Sir Reginald Talbot, who completed his term of office as Gover- nor of Victoria on Saturday, lefl for Syd- ney en route to England, via Canada, ic oompanied by Ladv Talbot and Captain Fyfe. A.D.C. They were given an en- thusiastic send off. The Lieutenant Governor (Sir John Madden) will adminis- ter the Government of Victoria until the arrival on July 27 of Sir James Gibson
Carmichael. . «
Our Melbourne correspondent telegraphed last night that the Governor-designate of Victoria (Sir Thomas Gibson-Carmichael) is due to arrive on July 27.
Colonel Rowell, CB. (O.C. South Aus- tralian Brigade and 10th A.I.R.), has been rcappointed a consultative member of the Military Board.
Mr. G. E. Freeman has been hon. secre- tary of the West Torrens Literary Societies' Association for three years and owing to business engagements he has resigned the office. At a meeting of the executive of the oiganisation held at Hindmarsh recently he was presented with an honorarium as a slight recognition of valuable services ron
Mr. F. H. Pollock, the lessee of the Theatre Royal, returned to Adelaide on Sunday morning from Melbourne.
Mrs. Mary Wetherell, who died at her residence, Rose-street, Prospect, on July 2, was an old colonist. She was bom in Count" Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1838, and ar- rived in South Australia in the ship The Adament (Captain Wells). She married the late Mr. Robert Wetherell in 1873, and re- sided in Kensington, wljcre her husband ran the buses between Kensington and Adelaide before the trams were introduced. He also ran buses in the early days between Park- side and Adelaide. They went to reside in Prospect in 18S2, and lived there up to the time of her death. Her husband pre- deceased her five years. There are two sons, one daughter, and four grandchildren left.