Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

1 correction by anonymous - Show corrections


Tomorrow evening the annual opening ceremony of the School of Mines and Indus- tries will take place. His Excellency the Governor has consented to distribute the diplomas and prizes won as the result of last year's work, and the Acting Premier (Hon. A. A. Kirkpatrick, M.L.C.), the Act- ing Minister of Education (Hon. A. H. Peake, M.P.), and the Commissioner of Crown Lands (Hon. L. O'Loughlin, M.P.) will be present.

The Acting Premier cabled to the Pre-

mier on the arrival of the Narrung at Capetown:-"All well; Victoria decided to refer boundary agreement to Parliament

Trade statistics last year favorable.," Mr. Kirkpatrick has received the following re- ply from Mr. Price:-"Health better; good voyage: glad to hear good news."

Mr. William Strawbridge, the Surveyor- General, who, accompanied by his wife and two daughters, has been abroad for the past 11 months, returned to Adelaide by the steamer Geelong on Monday morning. Mr.

Strawbridge looks remarkably well after   his trip. During his tour he visited the United States, and made enquiries into the system of dry farming. In Holland he inspected the reclamation works. Mr. Strawbridge was cordially welcomed at the Survey Office on his arrival by the Deputy Surveyor-General (Mr. E. M. Smith), who has ably carried out the work of the department during the absence of his chief, and other officers of the survey   branch. At one end of the Surveyor-Gene-   ral's private office was a large picture frame, tastefully decorated with asparagus and pine leaves, embowered in palm branches, and inscribed as follows:-"Wel- come to the Surveyor-General, on behalf of his officers. The acting Surveyor-General and   his officers of the department tender a hearty welcome to the Surveyor-General on   his return from Europe, February 17,     1908." Mr. Smith briefly welcomed the Surveyor-General back to Adelaide, and ex-   pressed the pleasure he and the other offi-   cers felt at his return. Mr. Strawbridge suitably replied.

Mr. R. R. Garran, secretary to the Attorney-General of the Commonwealth, returned to Australia by the R.M.S. Ophir, which arrived in the Outer Harbor on Monday morning. He went to England to instruct counsel in the income tax cases which were to have been heard before the Privy Council. The Taxation Commissioners of New South Wales and Victoria had sought leave to appeal from the decision of the High Court. After Mr. Garron had fulfilled his mission the leave to appeal was refused. Mr. Garran, who was accompanied by Miss Garran, disem-   barked at the Outer Harbor, with the in- tention of returning to Sydney overland.

The Commandant of the South Aus- tralian Military Forces (Colonel Lee) will visit Mount Gambier to-day to inspect the Light Horse squadron, South Australian Infantry Regiment, and the cadets. On Friday he will inspect the troops at Milli


Mr. Justice Sly, who was recently ap- pointed puisne judge in New South Wales, was yesterday welcomed to the bar in the Full Court in Sydney.

Arrangements were completed yesterday in connection with the visit of Sir John Forrest to the Western Australian gold- fields on February 27. He will be accorded a civic reseption at Kalgoorlie on his ar- rival, and afterwards will be a guest at a private dinner of the Mayors of Kalgoorlie and Boulder and the chairman of the Roads Board. In the evening he will be enter- tained at a smoke social, when it is pro- bable he will be asked to deliver an ad- dress on the water question. On the follow- ing day a civic reception at Boulder will be

tendered him.

Miss Anderson, the general secretary of the Y.W.C.A., who has done a great deal to popularise the institution since her ar-   rival from America, four months ago, has just returned from a holiday trip to Tas- mania. She visited the sister institution in Melbourne, and in Hobart she was cor- dially received by the Y.W.C.A. Miss Anderson his resumed her duties, and is now engaged in preparing an extensive pro- gramme of clubs, classes, and other move-   ments in connection with the organisation over which she is presiding with such


One of the finest pioneers of the State, Mr. A. Sidney Clark, died at his residence, William-street, Norwood, on Sun- day. He had suffered severely during the last two years from a weakness the result of an illness in childhood. On Thursday week a sudden seizure produced grave fears, and from that time his life ebbed slowly. Those who knew Mr. Clark a quarter of a century ago, in the prime of his life, recognise what he has done for South Australia. Born in Birmingham in 1826, he was 81 years of age when he died. He carne to Adelaide in 1850 with his parents. His father had been a manufacturer of nails and wire in England. For a year Mr. A. S. Clark was employed in a bank, and he then went in- to business as a timber merchant. On the death of his father in 1853 he joined his brother, the late Mr. John Howard Clark, in the firm of Frances, Clark, & Sons, ac- countants and commission agents. The firm continued until 1884, when Mr. A. S. Clark became an importer of machinery and engineering requissites. Mr. Clark was at one time a prominent figure in commercial circles, and in 1866 he was announced as a candidate for the Mayoralty of Adelaide, having already served in the City Council for some years. He retired from the election, however, in favor of Mr. W. Kyffin Thomas, who was  

beaten by Mr. William Townsend. Mr.   Clark was of recent years secretary of the   Cremation Society until the Government   took over the Crematorium. His services   in connection with the strike of miners   which occurred at Moonta in the seventies,

when be suggested the means by which the   difficulty was overcome, were alone ssuffici- ent to cause South Australians to feel grate- ful to him. He was largely interested in scientific matters, and was for years secre- tary of the Philosophical Society, which afterwards merged into the Royal Society. Mr. Clark left a widow, four sons, and five daughters. His sons are Messrs. E. S. Clark, C. S. Clark, L. S. Clark, and A. S. Clark, and his two married daughters are Mrs. Mortimer White and Mrs. W. A Heg- gie, of Angaston. The remains of the de- ceased gentleman were cremated at the Adelaide Crematorium yesterday.

Captain White, R.A.A., who has spent two years at the Camberley Staff College, near Aldershot, England, passed through Adelaide on Monday on the way to Mel-


Mr. F. H. Woods, who has been a mem- ber of the Gawler Post-Office staff for nearly 20 years, has left that town for Adelaide, to take a position in the mail branch at the General Post-Office. His co-officers presented him with a silver mounted pipe.  

At the conclusion of the Kensington and Norwood Town Council meeting on Mon- day evening, members met in the mayor's parlor, and Councillor Hanson, who pre- sided, made a pleasing presentation in the shape of a handsome case of cutlery to the town clerk (Mr. E. O. Gooden), who is to be married shortly. All the members of the council, the officers, and a representa- tive of the workmen, joined in congratulat- ing Mr. Gooden, and in wishing him happi- ness and prosperity.

At the meeting of the Kensington and Norwood Corporation on Monday evening Councillor Leeder was elected to act as chairman in the absence of the mayor (Mr. G. H. Prosser), who was absent at Port Elliot on holidays. Mr. Prosser will re- turn in a few days.

On Monday afternoon a presentation was made to Mr. Hadrian Moody, sporting edi-

tor of the "Register," by the members of the sporting staffs of the Adelaide press on the eve of his marriage. Mr M. C. Hock- ing, sporting editor of "The Advertiser," on behalf of his colleagues, presented Mr. Moody with a salad bowl, and referred to the esteem in which the recipient was held,

and wished him all success in his new sphere. Mr F. G. Hales, representing the Saturday evening papers, and Mr W. J. Letcher (White's Press and Telegram Agency) also spoke. Mr. Moody returned thanks for the compliment paid to him.

Mr. C. Filgate, who was well known in racing circles some years ago, is in the Adelaide Hospital suffering from paralysis of both legs, the result of a long illness in Singapore.