No corrections yet
SURVIVOR OF A FAMOUS TEAM
When Mr. J. W. Langsford (pictured) stood last Saturday at the Northam grave side of his team-mate of 67 years ago, Mr. Ned Letch, he was the only survivor of the 18 who formed Perth's first Australian foot ball team in 1885. In his city office yesterday, the old centre-forward, who will be 87 on July 29, talked of the transitional time in "the colony" when rugby was dis placed by the Victorian, or bouncing game, introduced by himself and other newcomers from the Eastern States. The meeting at which the first controlling body of football Was formed in W.A. was held at the Criterion Hotel, on March 6, 1885, under the oresidency of Frank Stafford. Three teams were formed Rovers, the Victorians, and Fremantle. These three teams comprised the W.A. Football Association, which later be came the W.A. National Foot ball League. The premiership football .league headquarters begins with a Fremiantle win in 1885 Shin Guards The players wore tiny skull caps, jerseys and knickerbock ers. Most also wore half Wellington boots as shin guards. The first umpire was George Fethers, then manager of the A.M.P. Society, of which Mr. l.angsford was the first ac countant appointed. Matches were played on the Recreation Ground, now the Esplanade, and the girl who became Mrs. Langsford used to row, with her sister, from their Mounts Bay-road home to watch the football. Many of the original 18 be came celebrated figures. Wal ter James became a knight, a K.C., and a State Premier. Fred Monger became the member for York. Sam Randell rose to be an Under-Treasurer, and Hugh Dixon changed his name and became Sir Hugh Denison, of Sydney. Other members of the fam-, ous old Rovers team were: Charlie Bishop, Horace Glyde. Jimmy Rose (capt.), Frank Stafford, W. Lawrence (also a noted under-arm bowler), F. G. Glyde, T. Harkness, A. Y. Clyde (late Registrar of Titles). E. A. Letch, Dan Caporn. Dickie Birch, R. Wigglesworth, R. L. Hussey and L. Ogbourne. -"Rambler."