Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

1 correction by tonkit - Show corrections


Ixidy Tennyson will leave Adelaide to jora the Acting Governor-General in'Melbourne on Wednesday afternoon. Lord Richard Nevill arrived iu Adelaide by the exprès« on Sunday morning and will accompany; Ladv Tennyson to Melbourne.

His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor will be engaged this week from to-day until Friday at the Criminal Sittings of the Su- preme Court, sitting, however.'on Weducs day morning at 11 in Executive Council. Oa Saturday his Excellency will attend th« Coronation service at the Cathedral in th« morning, ¡n the afternoon he will review the troops, and in the evening will hold au official and Parliamentary reception at the Elder Hall of the University.

Senator Styles, of Victoria, has com« over to South Australia for the benefit of his health, and is staying at the York Hotel. He was resident engineer ou a section of the South Australian 'railway« in the seventies, and has, alwavb found our dry climate beneficial to his* health'. He has been working hard lately iu con- nection with the tariff debate in th« Senate. '; l

The Mayor of Adelaide (Mr. L. .Cohen, M.P.), who had been ill with influenza, baa quite recovered, and he will be able to take his seat in the House of Assembly on Tues-

day. When the Australian Naval Squad-e ron visits Adelaide in September, Mr.' Cohen will give a garden party at Victoria Park. to which he will invite 4,000 guests.

Mr. T. N. Stephens, the Yieioriup Col* lector of Customs, arrived in Adelaide on a short holiday visit on Suuday morning.

The Rev. Father Thomas O'Brien. S.J., has arrived in Adelaide from the Northern Territory, where he resided, with intervals, for 20 years. He was one of the first Catho- lic priests stationed in the Territory, and he has a firm belief that it will have a bright future. Father O'Brien is at pre- sent staying at Sevenhills, near Clare.

The death of the Ven. Archdeacon Hum sell, V.G., left a vacancy in the ranks of tua Catholic Archdiocesan consultora, and th« Very Rev. J. F. 0,'Neill has been chosen to fill the position.

The many friends of Mr. Hy. John Rich- man will regret todearn of his death, which occurred at his residence, "Darra Willia." East-terrace, on Saturday morning. The deceased gentleman was one of th« pioneers of Sonth Australia, and his memory is held .' in high regard by tnose whose privilege it was to know liini. Ho was one of the first of the early arri- vals in the new colony to turn attention lo the practically unknown tracts of coun-

try in the north, and to his enterprise wa« - due in a large measure the utilisation o£ that part^ of the State for grazing purposes. Mr. Richman was born at Lymington, Hampshire, England, m January, 1825, and was therefore 77 years of a¿e at the tim« of 'his death. He came to Australia when still a boy, arriving in the young colony, three years after its foundation. He com- pleted his education under the tuition of the late Rev. T. Stow, and then turned his

thoughts to pastoral pursuits. Witn this:

end in view he worked hard on farms and % sheep stations to gain an insight into the business. At last he found himself in a position to realise his desire, and his hard earned money was invested in a flock of 1,400 sheep. His first rush was at Mount Browne, and the young squatter found the management of it an extremely difficult task. The property was situated in what is now known as Richman's Valley, near

Quorn. The neighborhood in those days . swarmed with blacks, who made the white . man's life one of considerable danger. They helped themselves liberally to his flocks, and that they were prepared to go further waa evidenced by the fate of a , sheepownel

whose run bordered on that of Mr. Rich- man. This gentleman was murdered by, the blacks. The early fifties proved ex

Itremely trying to South Australia, for, tha -

discovery of gold in Victoria attracted.,»,,.

large portion of the population. J. he squat-

ters were considerably affected,* for ' thq*. employes joined in the rush to the eastern Eldorado, and left them in distress. Mr. Richman fared badly, und in 1SÔ2 he was compelled to disposa of his sheep, and he followed his erstwhile employes to the goldfields. He was unsuc- cessful in his search for the precious yel- low metal, and, convinced that better chances awaited him on the other side of the border, he returned to South Australia. Labor was still scarce when he came back, and, unable to procure hands to assist him on a station, be invested his small capital iii two bullock teams, and followed the avocation of a carter. When the disappointed miners began to return from the fields, Mr. Rich- man again took up a station, this time- to the west of Port Augusta. It was known as the Old Lincoln Gap run, and was on« of the first selections to be taken up so far north. Then Mr. Richman acquired "Per- natty" station, 100 miles north-west of Port Augusta, and another property 200 miles

farther north-west. In October, 1898, ah. affection of his eyes compelled the deceased gentleman to retire from the active manage- ment of his stations, and he came to Ade- laide and took up his residence at East-ter- race. The trouble increased, and blindness followed. Notwithstanding his affliction/ Mr. Richman retained a patient and cheer- ful disposition. Prior to his death he suf- fered from a complication of diseases, the intervention of dropsy being attended with a fatal result. Mr. Richman leaves a son and a daughter-Lieutenant Richman, of the Adelaide Machine Gun Corps, and Mrs.

F. A. Gregory (widow of the late Colonel ' Gregory), who is residing in England.

Mr. B. Thomson and Mrs. Thomson-' re» turned by the. mail steamer Britannia on Sunday, after a absence of four months.

Mr. L. DeGaris, of Narracoorte, arrived by the Britannia from a trip abroad. He has been away for five months.

Mr. H. P. Macklin, one of the principals of the Semaphore Collegiate School, died at his residence, Semaphore, just after noon on Saturday. The deceased was born in   Salisbury, England, and was brought up  

in that city. Possessing a fine voice, he became a chorister at Salisbury Cathedral, and was educated in the musical school   there. He came to South Australia over  

20 years ago, and his scholastic abilities gained for him a tutorial post at North   Adelaide. A few months, later he joined Mr. Thomas Caterer, at Norwood. On Mr.

Caterer removing to the Semaphore Mr.   Macklin was taken into partnership, and the alliance existed till his death. The deceased was very popular in all circles, especially among his boys. He was a Mason, and two months ago was installed worshipful master of the Adelaide Lodge, No. 2, of Port Adelaide and Semaphore. He was a steward in the Grand Lodge of South Australia. In con- nection with St. Bedes Church, Sema- phore, he was a constant and active worker. He was a lay reader, a member of the choir, and superintendent of the Sunday-school. Mr. Macklin married Miss McCormack, the daughter of the well known portrait painter. Mrs. Macklin and two daughters survive. The Rev. W. A. Swan (rector) made special reference in his sermon at St. Bede's Church on Sunday, morning to the services rendered by Mr. Macklin to the church and its various or- ganisations.

The death, is announced of Mr. John Daniel, a very old resident of Geelong. He was seized with a sudden illness and ex- pired within a few minutes. The deceased arrived in Melbourne from Cornwall in 1854, and went to Geelong, where he entered into business as an ironmonger. He continued in the same line until his death and he is reputed to have amassed much wealth. At the time of her husband's demise Mrs. Daniel was lying ill in a private hospital.

The Rev. Canon Potter, of St. Kilda, Vic- toria, who has been in Adelaide for the past three months, left by the Melbourne ex- press on Saturday afternoon to resume charge of his church.