Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

1 correction by anonymous - Show corrections


A mim/ber of the officers connected with the different branches of the Customs De-

partment waited upon, the Right Hon. C. C. Kingston, Commonwealth Minister for Trade and Customs, at his room Custom House, Port Adelaide, on Tuesday, and officially welcomed him. Mr. Kingston thanked the Collector of Customs and the other officials for the courtesy accorded


Lord Beauchamp, who was a passenger to China by the E. & A. Company's stea- mer Australian on her ladt trip, appears to have enjoyed his experience on that liner. Upon arrival at Hongkong he ad- dressed a letter to Captain Helms, thank- ing him and his officers for "the most com- fortable and interesting trip" he had had, through 'the great kindness and attention paid him. Lord Beauchamp added that he would "always look back with pleasure to the' time spent on board the Australian."

The Hon. J. Lewis returned to Adelaide from Sydney on Tuesday morning.

Mr. J. G. Drake, the newly-appointed Federal Postmaster-General, received the following greeting from his new chief on Friday:-"Í cordially welcome you as a member of the first Administration, and trust we _hall long be colleagues and al- ways friends.-Edmund Barton, Prime


At a public meeting held at Port Pirie on Tuesday evening, presided over by the mayor (Mr. L. J. Wilcher), it was decided that a complimentary social should be held on February 13, when an address will be presented to the Hon. K. W. Duncan, prior to his departure for Adelaide. A commit- tee was appointed to carry out the details.

Mr. N. Küdael returned to his duties in the Police Court on Tuesday morning after eight months' leave of absence.

Mr. J. L. Puryes, K.C., the well-known Melbourne barrister, has announced himself as a candidate for the Federal Senate.

Mr. Peacock will be entertained at a banquet at Clunes in honor of his acces- sion to the Premiership of Victoria.

The Charlton correspondent of the Mel- bourne "Argus" writes:-"Trooper James O'Hara, of the Natal Light Horse, who was formerly employed as a chemist's assistant at Charlton, and left here about l8 months ago for South Africa, with a view of enlist- ing in one of 'the colonially-raised regiments, has, according to letters received from Pre- toria, been recommended for the Victoria Cross for valor shown in the present cam- paign.

Mr. James Blanksby, M.L.C., of Sydney, having accepted the position of secretary to the Miners' Accident Relief Fund, has resigned his seat in the Legislative Council

of New South Wales.

The numerous friends of Mr. Edward Neale Wigg will learn with regret that his only son, Mr. Frank M. Wigg, died at Edinburgh, on .January 23, from pneu- monia. Mr. Frank Wigg, who has been studying at the Edinburgh University, re- cently took his M.B. degree. Prior to leav- ing Adelaide he was a student at Prince Alfred College, where he made «nany friends. He was a grandson of the late Mr. E. S. Wigg. His father and mother left Adelaide for England on January 22, by the steamer Grosser Kurfürst, and as the cable message reporting the death of his son only reached Adelaide on Tuesday they are as yet unacquainted with the sad news. Mr. H. E. Poole, Who since the retire- ment of 'Mr. J. Hosking, has efficiently car- ried out the duties of hon. secretary to the Early Closing Association, was on Tuesday evening appointed oiganising secretary to

the association.

The mil Of the late Mr. Elliott Hanna- ford, formerly of Riverton, has been filed for probate. The estate, which is aworn not to exceed £14,200 in value, has been left to the widow and two sons of the


It is stated that 'Mr. I. Skinner, of Port Lincoln, -is tro occupy the position of post and telegraph statfonmoäter at Port Pirie. Mr. Dawkins, for very many years station master on the South Australian section at Eucla, wal succeed Mr. Skinner at Port Lincoln. It is understood Mr. McKay, of Minlaton, is to be transferred to Unley.

The late Princess Luberiri, whose death in New Zealand, has been, recorded, was according to the Sydney "Daily Tele- graph," an old resident of Parramavta, where she spent all her young days. She was the youngest daughter of the late Mrs. Griffith, and sister to Miss Griffith and Mrs. Trollope. The Princess as a girl wus very 'popular in Parramatta, and weill known to all old residents. News that she was ailing Teached her sisters about a week ago, but gave no idea that the illness was so serious as it proved.

The London "vueen" announces the en- gagement di the Hon. Judith Harboard, daughter of Lord Suffield, to the Rev. F. Sullivan, eldest son of Admiral Sir Francis Sullivan, Bart. The Hon. Judith Harbord was well known iu Sydney society some years ago, when she visited her sister, Lauy Carrington.

The Brough Company is to disband in Hongkong next month, according to a let- ter received from Mr. Allan Hamilton. He writes:-"We remain in Calcutta until February 10, then Rangoon, Singapore, Shanghai, and Hongkong, in the order named. The tour finshes in the latter city, and then the company disbands."

Miss Maggie Moore has returned from America on a brief business visit, and Mr. William Anderson has arranged with her to make a short tour through the princi- pal Australian Sta'tee.

Next Saturday Mr. W. F. Hawirey, whose company has been appearing at Sydney in "A Message from Mars," will celebrate his twentieth anniversary of the stage.