3 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections
Mr. Charles Day. — A change has been made in the partnership between the proprietors of. the Register, Observer, and Evening Journal, known in business
circles as W. K. Thomas & Co., by the retirement from the firm of Mr. Charles Day. This step is entirely due to the desire of Mr. Day, after his long period of active news- paper work, to withdraw from business. Entering the office as a young lad in 1851, Mr. Day has, except for a brief absence from the colony during the height of the Vic- torian gold rush, been closely associated with it ever since. His industry, integrity, and ability were from the first recognised by his employers, and he rose through different grades in the commercial branches of the busi- ness until he practically became their manager. On the death in. 1877 of Mr. E. W. Andrews, one of the then proprietors of these journals, the surviving members of the firm admitted Mr. Day, Mr. J. H. Finlayson, and Mr. R. K. Thomas into the partnership. Within seventeen months both the senior partners, Messrs. John Howard Clark and William Kyffin Thomas, were called upon to pay the debt of nature, and the management of affairs devolved upon Messrs. Day, Finlayson, and Thomas. Since joining the firm Mr. Day has had charge of the commercial department, and, as is well known, has ably and assiduously carried out the duties of the position. In 1888 he paid a visit to Eng land, remaining away from South Australia for nine or ten months. During this interval his place was taken by Mr. R. K. Thomas, who will for the future be the proprietor in charge of commercial matters. Although he has not identified himself to any extent with public affairs, Mr. Day in the past has not been un- mindful of his obligations as a citizen. Both at Unley and at Glenelg, in which places most of his life so far has been spent, he has been prominently associated with the Church of England, and has taken a special and sympathetic interest in the young lads with whom he has been brought into contact. For a number of years he has been a Justice of the Peace, and he has taken his full share in the benevolent and other labours which fall to the lot of those who feel a humane interest in their fellows. All who know what his work in the office has been must feel that he is entitled to claim relief from active business pursuits, and will share with his former partners in the hope that he will long live to enjoy his well-earned leisure. AN INTERESTING PROBATE. — Table Talk of June 20 publishes contents of the will of the late Captain John Haimes (Reedbeds Cavalry), and part owner of Waverley Brewery at Mitcham. The paper referred to says — "John Haimes, late of Mamre Larpent, near Colac (Geelong), settler, by his will dated July 12, 1887, and presented for probate by Messrs Harwood & Prescott, solicitors, Geelong, appointed his friends, Charles Brown Fisher, of Maribyrnong, grazier, and George Wall Wall Bagot, of Adelaide, stock and station agent, executors. He devised his freehold land, situated in the Parish of Pomborneit, in the County of Heytesbury, to Ellen McKenzie (wife of James Clark McKenzie, of Charters Towers, Queensland, publican and storekeeper) for her sole and separate use. He be- queated the cottage and six acres of
freehold land in the Parish of Pirron Yaloak, in the County of Polwarth, now in the occupation of Martha Newman, to her for her sole use. He left the section of land known as Mrs. Joyce's, St. John's, at Kapunda, in the Colony of South Australia, to his niece Susanah Haimes, daughter of his late brother Richard Haimes. He gave to Maria Maltilda Mallen, the daughter of his partner, Charles Mallen, of Adelaide, brewer, one eight of his share and interest; in the brewing business now carried on by him in partnership with the said Charles Mallen in Adelaide, and known as the Waverley Brewery, and all the machinery connected therewith, and all publie houses or other property held by them in connection with that brewery. He devised £100 per annum for life to Mary Trevena Hancock, of Pirron Yaloak, widow. He left £500 to his executors; £2,500 to Ellen McKenzie for her sole and separate use ; £2,500 to George Gardiner, of Melbourne, brewer's assistant; £500 to the said Martha Newman; £500 to Susanah Haimes : £500 to George Wall Wall, Richard Neetlee, Charles Mulchia, Mary Lucy Cowra, Lilie Nell-Nell, Sophie Rose, Annie Meade, Edgar Waternest, and Allan Walker, the children of his friend, Edward Meade Bagot; £500 each to George Green, of Geelong, to Frederick Rupert Pincott. to Mrs. Richard Haimes of James
town, South Australia; £2,500 to Mrs. Camp- bell Hill, of Colac; £1,500 to Sarah Willis, of Colac, to be used in payment of the mort gage for that sum upon the Commercial Hotel, Colac. The residue of his estate he bequeathed equally amongst the Melbourne Ladies' Benevolent Society, the Geelong and Western District Ladies' Benevolent Society, and the Colac Ladies' Benevolent Society. By a codicil dated April 17, 1SS9, he appointed Frederick Rupert Pincott, of Yarra-street, Geelong, solicitor, in the place of Charles Brown Fisher. The testator died 26th May, 1890, and his will was sworn at £71,006 real, and £21,651 personal. Total, £92, 657 hi the colony of Victoria. ' Will of the Late Mr. Frederick Hans brow Dutton. — In his will made in London dated November 11, 18S7, the late Mr. Dutton has divided his property into two parts, one of which he calls his South Australian pro perty, and the other the general property. The executors of the South Australian peoperty are Mr. Henry Dutton (nephew of the de ceased), Hon. Samuel Tomkinson, M.L.C., and Mr. Henry Thomas Morris (deceased's Manager at Anlaby); and those of the general property are his nephew (Mr. Frank McDermott Dutton) and Mr. John Well Probyn. With regard to the South Australian property the realty is sworn under £35,000, and the property is left to the trustees under certain trusts to sell or realize if need be. The testator bequeathed the following legacies : — To the Kapunda Hospital, £2,500; to the trustees of Dutton Park, Kapunda, £500; to the Asylum for the Blind, Deaf, and Dumb at Adelaide, £1,000 ; to Samuel Tomkinson, £2,000; to Henry Thomas Morris, £8,000; to Peter Miller. £5,000, to the trustees, £34,000, on the following trusts, viz.: — £12,000 to be in vested and interest paid to his niece (Mary Broughton Rebecca Emma Dutton) for her life for her separate use with power of appointment ; £12,000 to his niece Fehe Adele Dutton on like terms ; £10,000 to the children of his late niece Ludivinia Charlotte Jane Moore; and the residue of the South Aus tralian property to his nephew Henry Dutton absolutely. With regard to the general pro perty, he leaves £500 to John Well Probyn, if he accepts the trusts of the will; £500 to Robert Hamilton Frew ; £10,000 to his niece Emma, formerly wife of Erasmus Robert, for life, with remainder to her children ; £10,000 to his niece Caroline Birch Mitchell, and the residue to -his nephews Frank' McDermott Dutton and Frederick' Dutton, in propor tion of three equal fifths to the former and two equal fifths to the latter. By a codicil of the same date he leaves the following further legacies :— £500 to each of the children of his -late sister Louisa Brodermann ; £500 to each of the children of his late sister Charlotte Cankrien ; £1,000 to his godson, Harry or Henry, son of Edward John: Eyre, late Governor of Jamaica ; and £1,000' to Katy, daughter of Cecil Molyneux, Norfolk, England. Sale of Kimj William-street Freehold. — Messrs. Green &, Co. report that they have sold portion of Town Acre 78, fronting King William-street, being the southern portion ef the buildings known as Industrial Chambers. The land has 54 ft. to King William-street by. a depth of 75 along Gilbert-place to a rightof way at rear. The price paid was £30,000. The site has been acquired by the Union Bank of Australia, the intention being to utilize it in connection with the Bank's business. Commissions in the British Army. — His Excellency has received from the Imperial authorities copies of the regulations under which commissions in the British Army may be obtained by officers of colonial Local Military Forces. The regulations were issued with Army Orders dated April 1, 1890. Com missions in the cavalry or infantry of the line will be granted to officers (who are bona-fide colonists) of the Local Military Forces of certain colonies, to be specified from time to timeY' 'Candidates are required to have served at least fifteen months as an officer, and must have attended two annual trainings, or have seen active service in the field. They must be within the ages of 19 and 22 on January 1 of the year hi which they are allowed to present themselves for examina tion. Unto, further notice two army cornmia
sions wiU ^'aiinuallyTallotted toNew South; WaIes,*'SOTth' Australia; Victoria, Queensland, ' New' Zealand;— and - the Cape of Good Hope. Six will be allotted annually to Canada, and' one biennially to Tasmania. The Conservator op Forests. — Mr. J. E. Brown, the late Conservator of Forests, who has received a similar appointment . under the Sydney Government to that which he held here, left for Sydney by the express last Friday afternoon. Mr. Walter Gill, Chief Forester at Wirrabara, has taken the position of Conservator of Forests pro tern. The Egeria PRisoNERS-^-^On Saturday morning, July 5, a deputation presented to His Excellency the Governor at Government House a petition for the release of the Egeria' prisoners. Mr. Stock, M.P., in conjunction with Mr. Scherk, M.P., introduced the depu tation, whom Mr. Stock stated attended on behalf of 9,000 of Her Majesty's loyal subjects in South Australia who had all signed. The petition, -which was bound in book form, set out: — 'Your petitioners heard with deep regret of the insubordination on the part of someof the crew of Her Majesty's warship Egeria, and your petitioners have very care fully followed the facts made public at the Court-martial held on board Her Majesty's warship .Opal, when the charges were fully enquired into. Your petitioners are loyal subjects of Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen, and desire to see the discipline of Her Majesty's navy maintained in every respect. Your petitioners venture respectfully to express their feeling that the sentences passed upon the prisoners on board Her Majesty's Opal, now on their way to England, particularly the longer sentences, were unnecessarily severe. Your petitioners respectfully pray you to forward this their petition to Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen, humbly praying that the prerogative of mercy (which it is Her Majesty's pleasure to exercise toward her erring subjects) may be extended to * the prisoners previously mentioned, and- that on then: return -to 'Old England' they may be released from custody and permitted to again resume their duty of defending their Queen and country. And your petitioners will ever pray,' &c. Lord Kintore replied that he would be pleased to forward the petition to the Queen by the next outgoing mail, and he assured the deputation that Her Majesty would give the prayer of the petitioners tho fullest regard. Chinese in Austkalia. — Some interesting facts relating to the number of Chinese in the Australasian Colonies at the present time com pared with the year 1881 are (says the Mel bourne Age) given by the Government Statist in a return published in the Government Gazette. In 1S81 there were 43,706 Chinese in the different colonies ; . the number now is 47,433, or an increase of 3,727. The Chinese population in Victoria during that period de creased from 12,128 to 11,290, in Queensland from 11,229 to 7,691, and in New Zealand from 5,004 to 4,5S5. On the other hand the munber of Chinese in New South Wales has increased from 10,205 to 15,581, in South Aus tralia from 4,151. to 6, 660, in Western Australia from 145 to G20, and in Tasmania from S44 to 1,000. A New Aboriginal Depot. — The Govern ment have decided that an aboriginal depot shall be established at Kanowana Station, on Cooper's Creek. The site is central, being about 140 miles from Blanch water, 100 miles from Kopperamana, seventy miles from Coongy, and 100 miles from Montacollina. Mr. B. C. Besley, Sub-Protector of Aborigines, who recommended the establishment of the depot, states that there are a great number of natives in the district, and that the sick and infirm are a great tax on the station. In view of the requirements of the new depot Mr. E. L. Hamilton, the Protector, asks that the aborigines' vote be increased by £100 on the Supplementary Estimates.