'A. Hoggett.'— The Rev. C. B. Howard was the first clergyman (Church of England) who arrived in this colony, having been a passenger by H.M.S. Buffalo, which arrived
on December 28, 1836. The Rev, T. Q. Stow, who was the first Congregational minister, arrived in South Australia in October, 1837. The Rev. William Long- bottom (Wesleyan) was wrecked below Encounter Bay on June 21, 1838, and arrived in Adelaide on August 17, 1838. The first Congregational service in the colony was held in a tent on December 19, 1837. Soon after a hut, with pine aides and reed roofing, on Town Acre 5 was used as a place of worship, and the Church in Freeman-street was opened in July, 1840, Mr. Stow being pastor. The first Wesleyan Church was situated in Hindley-street, and public service was first celebrated there on the first Sunday in De- cember, 1837. It was then in an unfinished state, being covered with a tarpaulin. It was finished and formally opened on Sunday, March 18, 1838. The Rev. C. B. Howard built the first place of worship near his own dwelling, and thatched it with rushes. Afterwards the congregation assembled in the Courthouse — a wooden building, which was not then roofed, except for a few loose boards which could afford but little protection in rough weather. On January 26, 1838, the foundation-stone of Trinity Church was laid, and some months after
wards services were held in tne building. It was either in July or September, 1838, that the first Baptist Church waa formed in Mr. W. Finlayson's cottage, which was situated on the present site of Mr. Charles Birks's shop in Bundle-street. Mr. David McLaren, who was then Manager of the S.A. Company, acted as minister, but there was no stated minister. The members forming the Church at the outset numbered thirteen. They met afterwards, for a time, iu the building which had been vacated by the Bank of South Aus- tralia. ' Ihos. Griggs,' of Mallala, writes at great length on the circumstances attending ' the occasion of his marriage.' He is prepared to say, in answer to correspondents who have given their versions of the affair, that the gate was broken and the horse was running on the road before he left the ' breakfast' room. Hib horses will not, he alleges, taks fright at the firing of a gun. He is certain that the pig was not poisoned by the refuse of the wedding-feast, as nothing was removed from the room until after the pig was found dead. In conclusion, he hopes the Chief Secretary will grant the Mallala residents police protection. ' A Lover of Music' agreeB with ' An Old Musician' that Professor Von Meyhden should conduct an Exhibition Band, and suggests that string instruments should be represented as well as brass. 'J. P. McMichael' sends the following, taken from ' Spon's Workshop Receipts' : — ' Composition for Artificial Grindstone. — Washed silicioussand three parts, shellac one part, Melt the lac, and mould in the sand while warm. Emery may be substituted for sand. Used for razors and fine cutlery.' ' James Anderson,' Brentwood, forwards a specimen of a plant which he states is abun dant in the neighbourhood of Brectwood. It is a Pimelia, and though very slightly differ ing in character from the specimens sent in from ~Y orke's Peninsula is doubtless the same species. The whole of the genus Pimelia is more or less poisonous, and would cause ill ness or death to the hth''^' eating them. But unless mixed with hay or chaff. &c, no farm animal would touch the weed, there fore in ordinary pastures it would be harm less. ' A. F. Bauer' tenders his best thanks to 'H. R F.' and ' J. A. S.' for their kind in formation regarding making of an artificial grindstone. 'Anxious.'— TheBarossa sailed from the Semaphore on Sunday, February 27, and arrived in London on July 2nd instant. 'A Subscriber.'— Communicate with a broker. '